Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eating Poop

Eating Poop

Mickey eats his own poop all the time. It's disgusting and I don't think it's good for him. Last time, he threw it up. We tried putting some crushed pineapple in his food so when he pooped, it wouldn't have a good smell. (tip from the breeder) It didn't work. Any other suggestions or do I actually have to go out there everytime I wait until he gets near his poop, and tell him "NO"? Thanks for any advice.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

There are several products that you can but to put in their food that makes the poop taste bad. What a concept-something to make poop taste bad! A couple are Dis-taste and For-Bid.

Don't feel bad, though Stolly(RB) used to eat his poop ALL the time! It was so gross, cause he always wanted to give kisses!! He also liked kitty box crunchies.

We used both products and they worked pretty well.

Good luck with the Mickster.

Oh, Mickey, have you been talking to Kito?? He has that nasty habit too--not so much any more, but eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwww!!!!!
    The gross thing about Kito though, is that he would try to eat other poop, because no one picked it up at our old apartment
    Since I always had him on the leash, I always told him no, and pulled him away.
    I have read up on it (it's called cophragia, I think), and it is harmful to eat poop, they could get worms or anything else that another dog may have.
    Since it is his own, I'm not sure how harmful it is, just gross.
    I know there are some other things you can add to their food to make it taste bad, one being meat tenderizer, and there are also supplements they sell that you can add to their food.
    I've also read that you can put something like tabasco sauce on it, and when he goes to eat it it will taste bad.
    Here's a link to a website that may help
    http://bullmastiffinfo.tripod.com/coprophagia.htm
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Our vet told us that dogs eat poop (sometimes) when they aren't fully digesting their food, and can still smell food in the poop. That happens because the type of food isn't being totally absorbed by the dog, and so we should try a new one. Switching foods, for us, totally worked. We bought a higher quality, vitamin rich food that totally stopped the other end munching It might be something you want to ry

What a concept-something to make poop taste bad!
    lol How true. Thanks for the tip.

Emily - Mickey won't eat other dog's popp. Just smell it and then back off. I didn't think it was too good for them either. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out soon.

Nomilynn - Switching foods on Mickey! I thik he'd kill you, he loves his Iams. But it's definitly something to consider. Thanks

from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.

Re: Eating Poop

primabella,
    Isn't Mickey still a puppy?
    Rocky was a horrible poop eater when he was a pup.
    He not only would eat his own, but he would
    run up to SHeba and barely wait for her poop hit the
    ground before he would eat it.
    The vet said he would probably grow out of it, and
    to make sure I pick up the poop right away.
    I cleaned up the poop 2 times a day, while
    he went through this phase.
    Sure enough before he was a year old he
    stopped.
    He still has bad breath but at least it's not
    from eating poop.

----<---<--<{(@

lol ;D Thanks. I hope he grows out of it too. I was out at a party and then shopping this afternoon. When I got back Mickey and I went in the back to play some soccer and there was like 3 piles right there. I was like, "At least they're not eaten" I cleaned them up. I think I'll do that each time he lets one out. Thanks!

Primabella~
    Kito stopped doing it after he was fixed. I have no clue why, but he just lost interest after that.
    Another thing I did was when he walked over to a pile, I gave him a treat when he didn't try to scarf it down.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Well, Mickey's getting neuterured soon, so I hope that helps. I have tried waiting by it (what a pleasant smell ) and when he came closer I told him "no". I'll see what happens today. Thanks

The thread of shame

The other day my neighbor came out of the house to ask me how I was. I think I know why. I had just finished scolding Tucker for the *dastardly act*. Scolding doesn't seem to bother Tucker all that much so I was really trying to make my point (a little loudly) with reference to how bad he was. I had caught him in the act of poop and eat and couldn't even get him to *drop it*. Instead he just gulped it down. Ick, ick, ick. Anyway, I think my neighbor overheard my berating Tucker and was curious as generally things are pretty harmonious at my house.

We have had him on DETER but cut the dosage down to the maintenance level. Since the dogs generally go out on their own with out me, I can't always see when they poop and what happens, so it was very disconcerting to see the maintenance dosage had not worked. I have upped the amount of DETER again, but short of going outside with Tucker every time, I'm not sure what else to do. I know he doesn't do it all the time, but even once is just too much.
    *Until one has loved an animal, a part of ones soul remains unawakened.* Anatole France

I know. Then my dad goes, "Oh no, don't kiss him!" lol... He actually took a rag once and just washed out his mouth. Oh well...

Oh, BTW - the For-bid and Dis-taste apparently don't alter the taste of the food, or if it did it didn't bother Stolly. It works with the digestive enzymes to creat the "bad" taste in the poop. Sorry, I forgot to mention that before.

That may be better than the crushed pineapple. Thanks

Our roommates dog still eats poop and she's over a year old....she eats her own and Deisel & Phoebe's............i will try tobasco sauce and see if that works....

Do you just put it in their food?

Originally posted by turner
    Our roommates dog still eats poop and she's over a year old....she eats her own and Deisel & Phoebe's............i will try tobasco sauce and see if that works....

Do you just put it in their food?
    Please do not put Tabasco sauce in your dogs food!! It's way too spicey for their digestive system and most dogs won't eat it. Instead try the For-Bid or Deter or another product.

And if they'll eat it in the food, then they'll eat it in the poop. The For-Bid and Dis-Taste are apparently flavorless in the food, but they react with the digestive enzymes in the dogs body to produce the flavor in the poop.

I don't recommend the meat tenderizer either as it's pretty high in sodium and msg.