Thread: black throat monitor deaths

black throat monitor deaths

black throat monitors

I am a monitor enthusiast having purchased a Savannah many years ago. A few months ago i purchases a baby captive bred black throat. A few weeks after i purchased him he stopped eating, became emaciated and was coughing and had alot of phlegm in his mouth when he opened it. I took him to a vet who gave him a shot of batril and water (to hydrate) and gave me batril to take home and administer it 2X a day by mouth. He got better in two weeks, then a week after that started having the same symptoms. He started coughing which turned into choking and died soon after. I was heartbroken and going broke cause i paid $200 for him. A few weeks later i dissinfected the cage, purchased new logs and water bowls, etc. and purchased a wild black throat. I had him for several months, and this one started to grow rapidly. He grew about 4 inches in those months, then last week he started to have phlegm in his mouth, started coughing and making the same noises as the last one. I informed my pet shop where i have been going for almost 10 years that i thought this one was dying on me too. Well, the next day i came home and he was dead. this is the second one and he also cost me $200 not to mention vet bills, housing and food. I dont know what i did wrong. Someone suggested getting a hotter heat lamp which i did, i got a 100 watt and kept it on all day. I've had my savannah monitor for 5 years and hes doing great. i was told to vary the diet, and i feed the savannah ( and i fed the blackthroats) crickets, meal worms, cooked eggs with the shell for calcium and raw fish and they eat all of it. What did i do wrong with the black throat. my heart is broken, please help!!!!!

I am not sure what you didnt wrong, I think it is because th esupplyer is a bad one, you should try to find a breeder!. I think you should take the body back and complain, get your money back, that is redicuals that it died.

maybe get a different lizard? like a different species?
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Thanks for your reply. I have been buying lizards from that pet shop for almost 10 years and have no problem with other lizards purchased there, thats why i am putting the word out to see if a vet out there or someone else with experience with these lizards know what happened. I dont plan on ever buying another one of these lizards because something i am doing is not giving me good results. I am going to the next reptile show that comes around my area and am going to buy a chameleon from a breeder. I just hope if someone shows up with a black throat i dont get tempted. I saw on this website a couple from NY got a black throat by accident and are raising it, have had it over a year and it grew to 4 ft. long. I am envious. It was a "pet of the day".

I have a chameleon named Rex. there is also Aspen and Misty Who has a chameleon named Peaches. They need extra care and lots of research i hope you did yours!
    ~*~green_chameleon_girl~*~
    R.I.P Rex
    - _HeAtHer_-

Thanks MANDAMOO!!!!

Ask this at forum.kingsnake.com in the monitor forum. The people there have tons of experience and would probably be better able to help you than I.

Unfortunately, even though I consider myself a fairly knowledgeable herper, I have no idea what could have caused the deaths of your monitors.

Thank you Wolf_Q!