Thread: Pictures of my first day of work. Warning includes pictures of surgeries

Pictures of my first day of work. Warning includes pictures of surgeries

Well today was an awesome day! I got to work at 8 and started the day off fast. I was going back and forth all day long. I got to help on a tendenectomy (grose, they remove the cats tendons so that the cat cannot retract his claws), take temperatures, draw blood, do a snap test on a cat, fill vaccines, remove sutures, answer a gazillion phone calls, make appointments, clean up pee from doggies lol....should I go on? hehe I also took some pics while there. The first two are of our clinic kitty Millie. She is 20 years old. At least I think I remember that that is her name. lol

She is such a good girl. She can't jump anymore but she gets around pretty good besides that. She loves to drink out of the faucet.

I will continue in another post...
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

There was a cute chocolate lab puppy who came in for a spay today. Here is a picture of her. She was SO cute lol. We also had a lhaso apso puppy in today. He had cancer in his colon and had to be euthanized. He was only a tiny puppy.

Here are some pics of the clinic:
    Some cat xrays

Our surgical equipment:

Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

We had a cat in today named Milo. He ate a bunch of string and had to be operated on. He looked just like our Spanky! The surgery went well and he should make a full recovery...hopefully.

See those long string by the hemostats? Those came out of the cats belly, and there was a LOT more left in there!

So tomorrow I have to be at work at 7:30 lol. I worked a full day today, until 5:10. Tomorrow is going to be a BUSY day. This lady is bringing in abour 8 cats at once. She has a LOT! Hopefully tomorrow I can do more hands on work with the animals.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

AWWWWWWW
    Millie is sooooooooo pretty!!!
    *KISSES* for Millie!!!!!!!

WOW
    congrats on the first day of work!!!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Yes Millie is a big sweetheart.

BTW the man in the photo is my boss, Dr. Barrett.

Today it was so sad without seeing Dylan and being without him all day. He was so happy to see me!

I have to get off PT soon and take a shower, let me ratties out, feed everyone and then go to bed so that I wake up on time. I have Wednesday off and that will be my "spend some good ol quality time with everyone" day. lol Can't wait to sleep in once again!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Glad your first day went well. We have a lady coming in next Friday bringing all 12 of her cats in. She has to take the back seats out of her van to get all the carriers in and by the time she stacks them all in the exam room, there's no room to move around!!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

, they remove the cats tendons so that the cat cannot retract his claws
    WHY?

I'm so happy you enjoyed your first day. Thanks for the pictures.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

, they remove the cats tendons so that the cat cannot retract his claws
    Why?

I think she meant that the cat can't "show" his claws, thereby won't be able to scratch furniture.

My guess is the owner's don't want to spend the time TRAINING their cat to use the scratching post. It's the easy way out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Yup, thats one of the disturbing things people do instead of declawing. IT HURTS and is really really really really really a stupid thing to do
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

OMG !!! I never heard of such a horrible thing!

Why do people buy a cat and then freak when it act like a cat.

If they don't have the time to train a cat to scratch a pole, they should buy a goldfish.

http://www.safehavenforcats.com/declaw.htm

* An alternative surgical procedure, deep digital flexor tendonectomy, was first described by John Rife, DVM (Journal AAHA, Jan/Feb 1988). This surgery involves severing the tendon attached to the end toe digit but maintaining the claw in the sheath. The cat is no longer able to extend the claws. The technique limits the cat's ability to damage surfaces when scratching as long as the claws are kept trimmed. It is less painful (cats recover within 2 days) and it has minimal postoperative risks. However, ongoing claw trimming is a must or the cat can use its claws again to some degree and there is a risk of the nail growing back into the pad unless they are kept trimmed Some veterinarians have reported joint fusion and arthritis problems. Most veterinarians do not favor this tecnique because of the potential of the client's dissatisfaction and ultimate desire for declawing

Originally posted by neko1
    Glad your first day went well. We have a lady coming in next Friday bringing all 12 of her cats in. She has to take the back seats out of her van to get all the carriers in and by the time she stacks them all in the exam room, there's no room to move around!!!

Today was a tiring day. I got there at 7:30 and didn't get home til 6:30.

Well the lady who came in brought 9 dogs, NOT cats! LOL They were pekingnese dogs. They took up our whole morning until 12 noon. They all had to get a heartworm test, and most of them had to get their DHAPP and Rv3. So that took awhile.

Milo the "thread" kitty is doing well. His family came in to visit him today and he can go home in a few days.

"I think she meant that the cat can't "show" his claws, thereby won't be able to scratch furniture.

"My guess is the owner's don't want to spend the time TRAINING their cat to use the scratching post. It's the easy way out."

Yes because the people are stupid! That's why! The lady didn't even want to pay for post operative pain meds either! We gave them to the cat anyway because it's included in the procedure. We don't do declaws at the clinic but one vet offers the tendenectomy. I hate declaws and I would NEVER have one done to my cats. I would rather them shred every piece of furniture in my house. Furniture can be REPLACED, a cats digits cannot!

Well next week we get to have a tour of the new clinic which is really exciting. We will have our company meeting there and eat tons of pizza while gabbing about things lol.

I did get to see some cute puppies today though! One was a wirehaired Jack Russel terrier. He was the cutest puppy ever! We had an older lady bring in her yorkie who has sebacous cysts all over his body. It was the grosest thing I have ever seen! He had about 20 on his body and we had to squeeze them to get the puss and gunk out. Today was hectic. We had so many birds in. A feather plucking Eclectus, a red factor canary, a LATINO (all yellow!!!) lovebird and a budgie. The budgies owners just let the birds nails grow and grow and they were at least, I kid you not, an inch long each. The bird cannot walk on the floor and it caused him to break his leg!

Anywho, I have tomorrow and Thursday off and go back on Friday.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major