Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heartworm injections??

heartworm injections??

I just received a letter today from our vet, saying that monthly heartworm tablets are no longer necessary. If I so choose, a twice yearly injection called Proheart 6 is now available.
    She is still going to carry the heartworm medicine, but gives us this new option.
    Has anyone used this or had any experience with it whatsoever??
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Our vet also offers the injections, however we have chosen to stay with the tablets. In my understanding the injection protects ONLY against heartworm, where as Heartgaurd (what we use)tablets also treat and control roundworm and hookworms. Interceptor prevents heartworm, while it protects against roundworms, hookworms
    and whipworms.

My vet has tried to convince me to use the injections also. I asked about it on Pet Talk a while ago, and was adviced against using them....I'm not quite sure of the specifics why. I haven't seen Candy (Dixieland Dancer) on here in a while, but I believe she knows more about it.

Nebo likes eating the tablets anyway, LOL.

hmmm... interesting point Amy--where has Candy been?

anyone know?

Don't know! I wish I'd see her posting again......she always has *great* advice!

Originally posted by wolf_Q
    Nebo likes eating the tablets anyway, LOL.
    Chester and Millie too!!

I never knew that the tablets protected against all those! Hmm, thanks for that mind boost!

I would stay with pills if they do all that. I wouldn't much like vaccines that are probably fairly new and haven't been used so mcuh.
    I've been BOO'd!

If I remember right, Candy was laid off from work, leaving her less access to the puter. Sheis also in the process of trying to open a doggie daycare and I'm sure that is keeping her busy

Candy is very busy starting her doggie daycare business--I pm'd her last night, and got a response from her this morning.
    She said she doesn't have much time to go through PT, but she still likes to get pms.

We use the injections because I don't like having to remember giving pills on the same date of each month. I guess that comes from being old. I never seem to know what date it is and even if I did I would not remember that oh, yeah, the 10th, the dogs need their heartworms pills.

I didn't know the pills gave protection against more types of worms. Dazzi and Jack are due for their heartworm next week so i will check with teh vet about that for sure. And maybe I will switch to the pills anways.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother

I didn't know the pills gave protection against more types of worms. Dazzi and Jack are due for their heartworm next week so i will check with teh vet about that for sure. And maybe I will switch to the pills anways.
    I don't know how much more it may cost, but maybe you could use the injections and then worm the dogs once or twice a year, at least until you are sure things are under control with Jack.

I have recently read a number of things against proheart 6 unfortunatly I am not feeling to well.I was in an accident this past fri and I was just dropping in to check on everyone for a minute.I really can't remember the pro's and con's but I think there were some health risks try checking it out online before you give it to your babies.I use interceptor and have for a while.My daughter used heartguard but switched due to the possibility that her dog got whip worms and ours were safe from the interceptor.They are all scary to me along with the vaccines but some are very neccessary so I try and research and use those with the least side effects.Good luck.I am sorry I can't be more specific tonight.
    Laurie

Drake has been on the HW injection for 2 years now. My vet said that it is completely safe and has the same effect as the pills do.

Cincy's mom is right. The injection only takes care of the heartworm itself, whereas the tablets cover everything except hookworm and whipworms. For that reason i will stay with the tablets. However before I became so educated on heartworm preventives I did have the vet to give the injection to my Patches. Having asked a few other vets I know they all say the pills are better and more effective as long as no doses are missed, and there is no longer a need for regular wormings for roundworms and such.

jaquetta