Thread: Bummer, Bad News

Bummer, Bad News

Unfortunately I got the word last Friday that our potbelly pig/bunny/duck sanctuary is definitely going to shut down June 30. I am, of course, very upset...I can't imagine not being able to go out and do rescues and provide permanent homes to the abused and neglected animals who are unable to interact with humans...... . We have 65 bunnies now....45 are adoptable but 20 are not. The pigs are going to another sanctuary in the south the end of this month. This time I am unable to talk the director in to staying open like I was able to do last fall. We have 10 weeks to place the 45 adoptables.....

So I have this pie-in-the-sky idea of either trying to get permission to take over as Exec Director and relocate the sanctuary, or to start a new sanctuary or to affiliate with an exisiting sanctuary.... The other vols want to keep things going as well. As far-fetched as this seems, I feel like I have to try to meet one of these options. Of course money will be a huge stumbling block as well as finding land that can accomodate such a facility that is affordable. I am very worried about the permanent residents. Most of them are elderly and/or ill.....I really need a miracle sometime in the next 10 weeks.

If anyone has any ideas I sure would love to hear them. Thanks to you all.
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

That's terrible news! I'm so sorry. I'm unable to offer you financial help but if I lived closer I would definitely assist you in your efforts. Just remember, miracles do happen and I'm praying for one for you. Please keep us posted.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Oh no, that's horrible! You are in my thoughts, and I hope things work out! What's going to happen with the unadoptable bunnies? *worry*

I had an "unplacable" Poilsh Rabbit for years, and while he was never able to enjoy my company I enjoyed making sure he had a full life....

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I'm so sorry to hear this news. Daisylover, your "pie-in-the-sky" idea is a beautiful one. I will be praying for these precious buns. I will let you know if I get ANY ideas at all.

Thank you for all the work you do!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

I hope things work out. Is there maybe a sort of fundraiser you could do? Please keep us updated.

That's horrible news!!!! You might have some kind of sale in a park or something to get donations, and also get some animals adopted. Make it a big thing, and I bet some people will come... you can talk to the other volenteers about this idea.

Thanks for all of you good wishes. Unfortunately we need something in the area of $250,000 to stay open and that's a pretty big chunk to try and get together at the last minute... We had a grant applic but it was turned down and now we're running out of time to raise that kind of money.

We need to either buy the property we are now on or move and buy a different property..... I'm not very optimistic about our chances.

If anyone reading is in the Detroit area, we will be at the Detroit Zoo's Meet Your Best Friend adoption event May 3 & 4......come out and say hi and adopt a bunny-friend !
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

Good Luck with the fundraiser! Sorry I don't live around there... Hopefully a miricle happens...

As always my best wishes go out to you at this time.

Do keep us informed of any developements. Fingers croosed!!!!