Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: what is w/ people and vets

what is w/ people and vets

ok I dont mean to start anything. but what is w/ people people and their fixation with vets???? beleive it or not vets are NOT knoligable with small animals. a few specilize in them but still I really dont see the point. you dont take a small animals everywhere with you like you would a dog so when you take a critter to the vet when it is sick that is EXTREMLY stressful. not too mention surgery on small animals is really dangerous. I saw a vet who did surgy on a gerbils tail when the end came off! that is the most stuped thing I have ever seen, gerbils tails heal on their own as to ther limbs. their is no reason to take say a gerbil to a vet or a mouse or whatever, because they dont need it. if you do your research first, and get the info from an expert of that animal then you got it made. it just makes me sooooooo mad when the aswer for every little thing is the vet! I have had gerbils for years I have experienced many problems an dI advise people of what to do and what the problem is but I am treated like an idiot because I am not a vet. an dof coarse the vet does not have a clue and gives falty info sorry for the rant again this is not directed at anyone or meant to start any wars. I am just ranting
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

There are some vets who specialize in small animals and I would take my pet there (if I had a small animal). I think everyone should research vets *before* getting an animal. I am sure there are times when its better to just not take a small animal to the vet, but I believe there are some times when you have to.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

If it is something serious, then you should obviously take the pet to the vet, but if it's something little, you don't need to. I don't know much about hamsters or gerbils or whatever, but I'm assuming whoever has one, does. They should know the time to take their pet to the vet and how serious something can be. I understand why you may be angry.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

My gerbil has a inner ear infection. He HAD to go to a vet asap or he would die.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

RE: Vets and small animals.///

I hope you will forgive me for giving my two cents worth, but sometimes the services of a Vet ARE VERY NECESSARY and can literally mean the difference between life and death for any animal that we love and care deeply about!

Personally, I think that it our obiligation to take our animals to a VET when a problem arises that we cannot fix ourselves.

It is necessary to research this, as we would any other subject that is of importance. There are vets who specialize in small mammals, birds, exoctic pets and reptiles and I feel that they are serving a real need in the animal kingdom. I agree that we should not take our animals to the VET for every little thing, but when there is something that requires attention, then it is our responsibility to make sure that we get help for our little friend. It is kind of like taking a baby to the doctor when we cannot figure out what it wrong. We do not hesiate to do that for innocent babies. I feel that we should not hesitate to do the same thing for innocent animals who also cannot speak for themselves...just my humble opinion over here in Montreal.
    One cat just leads to another - Ernest Hemingway

I was not directing the post at you or sage tikeyas_mom, I used gerbils as an example cuz they are the critter I know the most about. sage had nothing to do with it. in fact I had been wondering about that for a ong time long before I ever found this board.

primbella: yes if it was really serius I supoose you could take them to the vet. I personally would not though, I want my animals to be comfy and under my care. not in some strange place where I can not be sure of anything
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

I take my rats to a vet who specializes in small animals, and she is extremely knowledgeable about small animals...a least as far as rats. I had my two rats neutered, and there were no complications. I am extremely greatful for my vet, because they helped cure Nugget, Sweet Pea, and Peanut's pneumonia, which would have most likely killed them if they didn't get treated.

IMO, I think it is cruel and inhumane to not take your pet to get professional help when they need it. I hate reading stories/hearing stories of suffering/ill animals not getting professional help. That is my opinion.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

agreed.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

"IMO, I think it is cruel and inhumane to not take your pet to get professional help when they need it."

I agree! I think it is awesome there are more vets who specialize in small animals! The more popular they become, the better and more advanced the procedures and medicine becomes, therefore making it safer! Heck, I know there are even vets who specilize in fish! And I know there are people who do surgery on fish too. And as Songlover said, I too believe they are a valuable service to our society & pets! I dont understand why you're mad about people taking their pets to a vet.. just because they are small animals?? It sounds like you think just because they are small, they arent worth treating... Just the impression you gave me! :O And about the tail.. sure it may heal on its own, but so would any wound on any other animal. However! I can only imagine how painful that would be! I dont know about you, but Id rather my pet's wound be treated than it suffer in pain while it heals, or risk infection. No matter if its a little gerbil or my cat. You may think, well what about in the wild? When they get injuries, they have to suffer while it heals, and that may be true, but it is my personal belief that our pets were brought into this world by us breeding them, and therefore it is our responsibility to give them the best care possible while they are in our care. Anyhoo.. just my opinion
    R.I.P. Pidge & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Oliver & Sahkmet (the buns)
    Brock & Alki (the poops)
    Felix & Linus (the mews)

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

Oh yes, one other thing, I do try and bring my rats with me everywhere I go. They are just like dogs, with a few exceptions, lol.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

I don't know how vets are with small animals, but birds go to avian vets, who specialize in birds. They are great!

I had a guinea pig that went everywhere with me except to work, Gizmo was a special pig, not to just me but everyone who met him. He used to squeel at me when I would come in from work and one day he just layed in the bottom of his cage, (he had his freedom...came and went as he pleased) I knew something was wrong so I took him to an exotic pet vet. The vet put him in an oxygen tent and told me he had an resp. infection and wouldn't make it. Well I began to cry (my husband was upset as well) Gizmo died, (but like I said this was a special pig) the vet gave him a shot of adenalyn to his heart and brought him back. I had $5.00 in my pocket and told the vet I would do anything to pay this bill it meant that much to me! The vet just smiled and said $2.50 is all you owe me. Gizmo has since left but I had some more really good times with him. I was very glad I took him to the vet. This was in Oak Park Il. Sometimes you just need to use your judgement. Vets are needed regardless of how small, or the small amount the pet may have cost. But you shouldn't run for every little thing, it waste the vets time and (makes him more wealthy) you can care for the problem yourself with a little common sence!

"Oh yes, one other thing, I do try and bring my rats with me everywhere I go. They are just like dogs, with a few exceptions, lol."

that reminds me, I have a friend who takes her rat with her everywhere she can too. She goes on walks with her, takes her to the store with her, etc. Its too cute.

And yeah, I know there are a lot of vets who specialize in rabbits too.
    R.I.P. Pidge & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Oliver & Sahkmet (the buns)
    Brock & Alki (the poops)
    Felix & Linus (the mews)

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

If one of my rats has a respiratory infection, I'm going straight off to the vet for a bottle of Baytril. Yes there are home solutions but I trust Baytril more. I have found two excellent, knowledgeable vets in my area. One of them also sees my reptiles! In my opinion, every small animal should be seen at least annually by a vet, because the vet may spot something you hadn't seen.

Believe it or not, many vets ARE very knowledgeable in the small animal field. If the main vet I go to doesn't know something I will call the other one. Between the two I have everything covered. It frustratesme that you say you wouldn't even take your small animals to the vet for something serious. What if one of them needed a tumor removed? A limb amputated? Euthanasia? Surely you wouldn't try to do something like that yourself....

A side note that I know is inappropriate but I can't help but bring up... You complain about not being taken seriously, but your posts are not written very well. There is a distinct lack of capitalization, and your spelling and grammar are not great. I know I'm coming off as insulting and I'm not trying to. It's just that if someone sent me an email with advice about my animals and it looked like something my little brother had written I would have a very hard time taking it seriously. Again, I apologize for coming off as rude/insulting....

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by veegan
    I dont understand why you're mad about people taking their pets to a vet.. just because they are small animals?? It sounds like you think just because they are small, they arent worth treating... Just the impression you gave me! :O And about the tail.. sure it may heal on its own, but so would any wound on any other animal. However! I can only imagine how painful that would be! I dont know about you, but Id rather my pet's wound be treated than it suffer in pain while it heals, or risk infection. No matter if its a little gerbil or my cat. You may think, well what about in the wild? When they get injuries, they have to suffer while it heals, and that may be true, but it is my personal belief that our pets were brought into this world by us breeding them, and therefore it is our responsibility to give them the best care possible while they are in our care. Anyhoo.. just my opinion
    Well-said Veegan!!

I don't have any small animals as pets, but if I *did* they'd be just like any other pet....whether mouse, dog, or horse, lol....you have the pet, you are responsible for it's ultimate care, including the vet. You wouldn't have a child then not take it to the doctor would you?