Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tail Docking

Tail Docking

Has anyone ever seen a dogs tail or ears being docked? Most dogs such as rotties or boxers..only have there tails docked for show. I've seen it and its very inhumane from what i saw! the puppies come in and aren't even put on anasthedic, and they just cut em' right off and the puppy screams in pain! its the grossest thing i've ever seen and if i ever got a rottie or whatever pup i would never dock the tail or ears unless it needed it for some reason..the poor pups :[

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

When I was in grade school, my piano teacher got a schnauzer pup - and it had docked ears and tail. I didn't see the deed, but I saw the sore edges of his little ears for several weeks. That just didn't seem right.

Now that I'm older *ahem* and have had actual surgery, I would NEVER subject any creature to cutting, unless absolutely necessary - even with pain medication! It is something you never forget.
    "Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened" - Anatole France

Even the AKC is apparently reconsidering it's stand on tail docking and ear cropping as the "standard" of certain breeds. Thankfully! Why? These animals are so beautiful just the way they are!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

When we got Perry he had already had his tail docked and his ears done, when we got Daisy her tail was already docked but her ears were natural. We opted to leave them natural. If you buy a Schnauzer from a breeder most of the time they have the puppies tails docked before they even show them, but you have a choice on their ears. I would never, ever have a puppy docked or ears done.
    Jackie

I think natural is beautiful.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

I'm not very keen on tail docking and that but I have read that if your retrievers are going to be used for field trials or as working dogs, it can be better to have their dewclaws removed. From what I understand, it is done when the pups are only a day or two old and the toe hasn't stated developing yet (of course I'm going on what the website said, don't know what the TRUTH is).

The reason they do it is to avoid injury later on in life when operating on a torn dewclaw causes a LOT of pain? Does anyone know anything more about this? I think I'm anti the whole idea but if it doesn't hurt and is better in the long run?

Yes, you are probably right, every dog we have had has the dew claw removed, I think that is done right away, didn't think about the dew claw.
    Hi MichelleN and welcome to Pet Talk from so far away as South Africa, such a small world after all. what kind of dogs do you have? Any pictures?
    Jackie

Duncan still has his dewclaws. Because I adopted him from the SPCA, he was already six months old when I got him and apparently his previous owners could have cared less about him! They don't seem to bother him although sometimes they appear to get caught on things. I haven't braved cutting his nails myself yet and I have to remind the vet tech every time we go to cut them.

I believe that animals are born they way they are for a reason. I think humans need to quit thinking they know best and leave nature to do its thing. I know that there are states that are considering making tail docking and ear docking illegal. I sure hope it goes through.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

I had the misfortune of hearing a puppy have its tail docked one time. I will never forget the screaming that poor thing did. I live in the country and some people do things themselves. I was at somebody's house and they had rotty/lab puppies. They all had rotty markings so they decided to dock their tails. They were one day old. I told them to not do it with me there, I wanted to be in the house when it was done. I wasn't let through the door yet when they did the one puppy. It was horrific!!!! I didn't see it, the sound was enough. I alsk saw a boxer after his ears were cropped. Every time the ears hit something, they would bleed. It had to be so painful for the little guy. I would NEVER dock tails or crop ears for appearance sake. They were born with tails and floppy ears for a reason!!!!
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar

I don't know alot about these procedures that are performed on different breeds like boxers, great danes, dobies - arent these dogs suppose to have docked ears and tails and isn't it done under general anesthesia. I've always thought these breeds are suppose to have erect ears. What does the AKC say about this - I'm interested to know. What about show dogs - seems like all these breeds have erect ears.

I guess I have never owned a breed where tail docking and ear clipping is even thought of.......can't imagine the pain to the poor pups.

Of my retrievers, Honey and Lilly, one has her dew claws (Honey) and the other is without (Lilly), a backyard breeder vs a little more responsible one. But..Honey has never had a problem having her dewclaws either...of course she ain't a huntin' dog, she's a lap dog!

I have also dewclaws removed..lol..Most of the time is when some puppies (not all have this) have a hind dewclaw. It is flimsey and can get caught on this and is just in the way. So it's better to have the hind dew claw atleast removed if this is the case.
    Has anyone even seen a cat being declawed??? thats nasty stuff..lol the put them under, pull the claw out enough so the joint is easy to get at, and thats when they take the scaple! cut of the 1st joint..and either sew or glue the hole. I've also seen it done but just cutting the claw up far enough so that u cut out the part that makes it grow back..I've seen a crap load of sergerys..like in person not on TV. From spaying cats/dogs, to horses and cow sergery. Tumor removes and stuff..its SO interesting watching it!

purrley, Rottys and danes don't need to have their tails docked. its done for show only! i think it's sick! and its not done with any pain killer, just cut it off and the pups howlel and screech..trust me, if you haven't heard it you DONT want it! its soo wrong and the poor little things :[ justs puups

Sleipnir, it sounds like you work for a vet, or have in the past. I have, too. Anyone who is ambivalent about tail docking and ear cropping, ask your vet if you can sit in on the next one. It's unlikely you will ever be ambivalent again. It is done for appearance's sake only, and they do not use any anesthetic, not even a local. One screaming newborn puppy is all you ever have to hear - you never forget that sound.