Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Dog wanted!

I was considering a rhodesian ridgeback but I realized that they're probably too much dog for me to handle! Although I'm sure there are individuals who are more mellow, the fact that they can jump 5 feet without a running start intimidates me a little. My mom had one who jumped right over her head without a running start.

Then I decided that looking for a particular breed probably wasn't the right idea - I should try to find the right individual.

My mind is made up

Well, Tracy - I've decided that Axel is the dog for me. Now it's up to you to decide if I'm the person for Axel!

I can't take him immediately. Every two weeks, I get 6 days in a row off work. I'll be starting my next stretch off on April 28. If I can have him, I'd like to pick him up during one of those long stretches off so I can be with him.

My second house isn't ready yet. I'm getting it for sure, and I'm actively looking for somebody to build a fence. I could either take Axel during my next stretch of days off or I could wait until the fence is ready. I'd prefer to wait until I can keep him with me 100% of the time, but it's up to you. If I took him before the new house was ready, my husband and son would take care of him while I was at work.

If it helps, I can pay for his care until I'm able to take him. My email address is [email protected]. Please write me!

Originally posted by stacwase
    Then I decided that looking for a particular breed probably wasn't the right idea - I should try to find the right individual.
    AMEN to that!!!!!!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

stacwase,

What does your husband & son think of Axel? Will you be the
    person to continue his training & intro to your other dog, or will
    you have help from the family on that? Just curious.Hope the
    two dogs get along o.k. Your dog Jake is very handsome
    pupster.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Jake says "Thank you!"

My husband and son like the idea of me bringing Axel home. My husband is absolutely thrilled that I'll have him with me when I'm out of town.

They're both great with helping out with Jake. They take him in and out, and my son takes him for walks. They wouldn't be so great about training a dog, though. They just don't understand dog mentality. I'd have to train Axel, and then train my husband and son about what to do and not to do with him.

I don't think I'd let either of them take him for a walk unless I was there, until I was sure he'd be really good on the leash and remained uninterested in chasing small animals.

I do have a daughter who's "not into dogs". She's 15. The only time she's "into" Jake is when she's the only one here. Then he has to sleep with her! I wonder how Axel would feel about her ignoring him most of the time?

I was a little worried about the "crate anxiety". I think that would scare all three of them. That's why I want to be home for the first 6 days I get him here - I'll be here to help him make the transition.

Bad news

Axel is extremely cat aggressive. He almost had one for lunch today. Not only that he freaked out and destroyed another crate last night. I thought he was over that business. It looks like he'll never be able to be crated.

I am ready to wring his neck right now. mad: I don't know what happened last night but he's back to as bad as he was the day I brought him home. Back to the drawing board.

Stacey I'm sorry but with his hatred of cats, he's just not going to get along in your household and I haven't even tested him on kids yet.....not sure I have a friend good enough to let me borrow their kid.
    Tracy

Northwest Shepherd Haven

"You become forever responsible for what you have tamed"
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Oh - that's really too bad! Hopefully he'll find a family without cats. That's one really wonderful thing about people who do rescue, though - you find these things out before the dog goes home to a family which can't keep him! Thank you so much - and let me know if you have any other dogs which might work out. I do have one other dog that might work out - a rhodesian ridgeback that's 7 years old and was raised with kids and cats. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again!!!!!

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

well thats too bad about Axel. GOOD LUCK to him.
    In the paper I saw some german shepard puppies for sale $60. I thought that sounded pretty cheap. You said you wanted a dog. Tell me what you think...GOOD LUCK
    [size=1]Rachel & Sally

I don't know - maybe I'm just overly opinionated, but I don't like the idea of buying puppies. It seems like it encourages people to breed their dogs, and too many dogs are being euthanized as it is. Reputable breeders don't usually advertise in papers, either.

But - as the puppies have already been born, maybe you should have a look at them. ? That is definitely a very low price.

I must admit, though - I bought Jake. So I'm just as guilty as anybody! That was 7 years ago, though, before I got "older and wiser" heheheh

I saw this dog and thought of you...don't know anymore about him then what is written. He is with a no-kill group here in Ohio

A 3 year old male Akita/Boxer mix that was found in the old west end of Toledo. Tiger is a cuddly, snuggly cutie. Given any opportunity Tiger wants to lay his head on your foot, lay next to you on the couch, snuggle on the bed, or ride in the passenger seat in the car. He gets along super with other dogs and is up for a wrestling match at any time. Tiger is 100% housebroken, knows all the basic commands, is working on his tricks, and never has been a problem. Foster Mom and Dad adore Tiger. Tiger does not bark overly much either. This dog has a really cool brindle look. He also has a look about him that would scare off any one you don't want around. Secretly, Tiger is just a baby and is as gentle as can be. Because of the Akita/Boxer mix breed of Tiger, special screening will be necessary

More info:www.plannedpethood.org

BYB's (backyard breeders) drive me nuts. I'd be afraid of what a $60 GSD pup looked like.

If I were to ever buy a dog, and that's a HUGE if, the kennel I'm looking at start their pups at $1500. I say huge if because I can save so many out of the shelter and buying one of these pups is just a big dream of mine. I would feel extremely guilty and $2000 is alot of spay/neuters I could use it for instead.
    Tracy

Northwest Shepherd Haven

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Cincy's Mom, he is COOL! His description sounds wonderful too. He sort of looks like a short haired brindle GSD.
    Tracy

Northwest Shepherd Haven

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

He looks promising! I wonder if they'd meet me half way? Ohio is quite a drive. He really looks like the kind of dog I have in mind!

I'm not sure what they might do, since they do say some "special screening" required. I really don't know what that means, but if they'll allow it, I may be able to help with transport. Send 'em an email...see what they say