Thread: Caring For Macaws

Caring For Macaws

For a while now, I've been interested in purchasing a Macaw. I've read the general information about them. But I'm wondering if people could give me some helpful tips. I plan on purchasing a blue and gold Macaw from a Petsmart for $1500, because I feel bad for him and feels he NEEDS human interaction. If it does not work out, I plan on giving him to a Macaw rescue or someone I know will take proper care of him, who can give him the life he needs and deserves. Thank you!
    "It can't rain all the time." -Eric Draven
    "If you have words, you have power." -Brian

I really wouldn't advise you to buy the pet just to let it have some human interaction and then just give it up if it doesn't work out. Make sure you know what your getting yourself into. I don't know a thing about Macaws but I just don't think its fair to buy the bird just for the heck of it, without being sure if your ready for it.

Good luck.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Originally posted by primabella
    I really wouldn't advise you to buy the pet just to let it have some human interaction and then just give it up if it doesn't work out. Make sure you know what your getting yourself into. I don't know a thing about Macaws but I just don't think its fair to buy the bird just for the heck of it, without being sure if your ready for it.

Good luck.
    I agree. Macaws are big birds, and a big responsibility. They can be a lot of work, but can be a rewarding pet if you are willing to dedicate the time to them. Do some more research to see if a pet macaw would really be a good pet for your lifestyle. Good luck!

Thanks for the signature & avatar kfamr

I don't know a whole lot on macaws but I know they need ALOT of attention!

P.s. There is a blue and gold macaw near the petsmart where i live and it is $1794 !!!!!

~*~Thanks Liana For The AWESOME sig!~*~

Tweety_Pie

~*~Kelsey~*~

are you a first time bird owner? if so, DO NOT get a macaw! they need tons of attention, lots of care, and if it bites you, you have to be in charge. if you get the least bit scared of it, it will take advantage of you. they can break bones! this is not to say they arent wondeful birds, but they take a lot of experience. when cared for correctly, they can be loving and wonderful pets!

Why don't you find a local rescue and work with them for awhile? Get to know the birds, and what is involved in caring for them. Books just don't tell it as it is.... A LOT of time has to go into a bird like a Macaw.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

A macaw is NOT a bird for an inexperienced bird owner. Macaws are a lifetime responsiblity. They can live for 80-over 100 years old. They are a BIG responsiblity, and its so not fair to the bird to get it and if things don't work out give it away. These birds have the intelligence of a 5-6 year old child, so they UNDERSTAND everything going on and they would truely be very very upset if you get one and give it away. Macaws are very big and strong birds that need a LOT of attention, care, and devotion. They make wonderful pets, but you need to be prepared to take a responsiblity for life. Please do not get a macaw that you plan to give away if things won't work out. That is just so wrong. If you are not prepared to take full responsibity and keep the bird for life, then please reconsider and don't get the bird.

If you have had experience with birds and are willing to work with him and take full responsibility, then take the bird and know that it will take time for him to gain full trust.

A few of you have pointed out what I said, "If it doesn't work out, I'm going to give it away." I was only going to give him to someone who is more capable of taking better care of him if I was not able to provide such a home. Believe me, I know what it's like to have an animal that requires much responsibility. I have a green iguana and anyone's who had an iguana knows how much care they require.
    "It can't rain all the time." -Eric Draven
    "If you have words, you have power." -Brian

Re: ......

Originally posted by JGuitaristR
    A few of you have pointed out what I said, "If it doesn't work out, I'm going to give it away." I was only going to give him to someone who is more capable of taking better care of him if I was not able to provide such a home. Believe me, I know what it's like to have an animal that requires much responsibility. I have a green iguana and anyone's who had an iguana knows how much care they require.
    There question was Have you ever owned a bird before?

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka