Thread: Menlo Park Rescue in desperate need of help!

Menlo Park Rescue in desperate need of help!

I felt that this was important and I know that some people here have rats and mice for pets.

"The founder of RatRight.org, Lile Elam, recently discovered that a mentally challenged man, whom we suspect to be an animal horder, had 100+ rats and 500-1000 mices living in his house. The mice are almost all caged, but not sexed by cages, and the rats were running free in his house. Thanks to heroic efforts we believe that nearly all the rats have been caught, and are in cages. All of the females are pregnant.
    You can see pictures of the house and the rescue effort at http://www.jotenheim.com/ratrescue.html

If you can donate ANYTHING, such as food, cages, treats, toys, empty boxes,
    toilet paper tubes, you are welcome to send it directly to me
    (email for address- [email protected])

If you want to mail a donation you can send it to

RatRights.Org
    c/o Lile Elam
    P.O. Box 1395
    Menlo Park, CA 94026
    made payable to Lile Elam
    If you want to donate via paypal I've been letting people send it to my
    account. I hope to put most of the money that people donate through paypal
    to vet care, spaying, and other emergencies as well as food and bedding.
    That address is
    [email protected]

If you are located *ANYWHERE* on the continent and are willing to adopt, please let us know, we are desperately seeking homes for rats and mice and are working on a train to transport them. If you can help transport anywhere in the us or lower canada, please let us know.

If you are located in Cali or nearby states and can foster a pregnant mom, please contact me.

If you want to keep informed on what is happening, please join the yahoo group
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MenloParkRescue/

You can email me, but it may take me a little while to get back to you, it's been rather nutty around here.
    Anna"

ps: I know Anna, and she's been working her arse off for these animals along with a few others.
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

O I feel so bad for those baby ratties . I wish I could just adopt them all. Poor babies. Hopefully my dad will let me donate some stuff, I don't know though. Thats so sad. Makes me glad I got my babies and saved them from ending up with some one who didn't know alot about rats and didn't care for them well or as snake food.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

*bump*

I'm dropping off some CellSorb (which I get dirt cheap at work) and other supplies this weekend. ANYTHING you can do to help is appreciated!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

OMG I have never seen anything so discusting in my whole life! What is wrong with this man? Please don't tell me noone reported him? Is he keeping the rest of the rats?

His house is overun with them!!! They are probably all inbred too. You can see a bag of pine as well. Poor ratties. I cannot stand to see anyone keeping that many mice! That is discusting. They stink just having one, but that many?

Unfortunately some breeders have that many rats. But way beter cared for, in a bigger space etc. I thought having all my ratties were alot until I saw this house. That is just so sad. I can foster rats. I have a seperate building in which I could quaratine etc.

I have cages, water bottles, hammocks and Carefresh I could donate. I am just so sad about this, no animal deserves to live like that.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Thanks everyone!
    Actually those bags aren't pine, they're aspen. It just looks funny in the pictures.

The situation is complicated and reporting him won't help as he is an unmedicated schitzophrenic. Lile is going to be working with him to help him understand why these animals can't run loose and why they need to be separated by sexes.

This happened before, but the authorities came and took away all his animals, and he didn't understand why. To him, it was like they took a way his family. So, he never learned anything from it. I rather feel bad for him.

Luckies4me, be sure to contact Anna about what you can do to help. She'll appreciate it very much, and so will those ratties.
    "In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

*Another bump*

With a lot of help from members of different forums, Anna and the other people she's working with are really getting things fixed up. Unfortunately, a lot of the things being used in the fixing up are being bought out of the pockets of two people.

Here's a happy ending story I thought I'd share....Anna already had seventeen rats, but she is fostering many out of this house and has decided to keep one: Lucky Louie LeRat, as his foot was broken and horribly infected. It was amputated successfully on Monday, and he's making a GREAT recovery!

Here's the before pic, I don't have any afters to compare with yet, but Anna says he's doing great!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Aww. My dad said we can donate supplies. Thank you dfor bringing this to our attention!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Yay I will be fostering a pregnant doe/adopting! I will also be donating travel cages etc.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Awesome!
    Thank you so much guys.
    *happy hugs*

Yay!! I begged four more cages & some water bottles off of work.

Thank you Wolf_Q!