Thread: Declawing: This is a start!!!! Hoorah!!

Declawing: This is a start!!!! Hoorah!!

Woohoo!

Now how about ear cropping and tail docking?

It has to start somewhere. One city at a time, if necessary.

Yay!!!! It passed!!!!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Way to go West Hollywood!!!!!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

more articles

West Hollywood has already reclassified pet owners pet guardians. Now they have passed a law banning declawing. (CNN - http://www.cnn.com/2003/US/West/04/0....ap/index.html)

The above article mentions Paw Project, who also works with exotic cats. Whatever you think about declawing housecats, it just does not work with a much heavier exotic cat such as a tiger (for more info, see http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...nes-california) Of course, the most obvious thing about exotic cats, is they are NOT pets.

Yeah!!! Maybe one day soon it will drift to our side of the border. Here's hoping.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Originally posted by slick
    Yeah!!! Maybe one day soon it will drift to our side of the border. Here's hoping.
    I second that thought!

Don't be afraid that your life will end. Be afraid that it will never begin.

Some veterinarians who favor declawing say cat owners who are diabetic or whose immune systems are weakened fear being scratched
    That is such a bogus excuse! A cat bite is FAR worse than a scratch. And that's what happens when a cat is declawed. They BITE!!!

Woohoo West Hollywood! At least there's hope.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

moosmom, you are very right about bites being far more dangerous! Rabies laws aside, infection is a danger. Some people have lost fingers from infection. Animal Control investigates bites, not scratches. And the most obvious: serious bites are more deeper than any scratch.

This is great news.

HoUsEkaT,

Cat bites are horrible! Back in November, like a fool, I attempted to rescue a pregnant stray without the benefit of gloves. I wound up in the ER the next day. It was a provoked attack (I provoked her, therefore it was NOT her fault). The infection crawled up my arm. Mama clamped down on my right pinky finger and tore it open. I have a 2" scar on my finger as a reminder.

Like I said before, declawed cats will bite. That's probably why there are so many declawed cats at shelters. Makes me sick.

Here's the thread I posted which shows how bad a cat bite can be. It looks 100% better with a very faint scar.

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthre...e&pagenumber=3
    Last edited by moosmom; 04-09-2003 at 08:14 AM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Originally posted by Russian Blue
    I second that thought!

I agree as well.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

YAY!

Thats excellent news!

I hate declawing for materialistic reasons but I have seen it done for a rescue cat who got its feet broken for scratching the couch. The *daddy* of this cat caught it and broke each toe to stop it from clawing but it also stopped the cat from walking as well and well .... it was just horrible ... suffice to say the cat was rescued and had to have its claws removed on the front paws simply becauase the breaks healed badly and the claws were growing into the paws and were causing more problems than they were simply worth.

It was sad but the cat went to a really good indoor home. The guy was prosecuted and has got a life ban on him relating to having pets. If he is found with an animal its a 5 year jail term. Personally I reckon he should have his toes broken and healed without medical treatment!

So while I am for declawing for personal reasons being banned it is neccessary in some cases.

As for tail docking my sister's rescue dog had his tailed cropped by its previous master with an axe. Apparently this guy put the 6 week old puppy's tail on a chopping block nad lopped the *offending* piece off with an axe. He later dumped the dog at a nearby school which my sister was attending with the poor thing having a servere bacterial infection from the cheap tail dock. Suffice to say, Monger *that IS his name laughs* is a wonderful dog and has healed beautifully from his trauma - although he won't go near axes. Do you blame him?

What is ear cropping?
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."