Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need advice about Tina, please...

I'll be waiting for an update on Tina. She is such a lovely dog! I hope it is something easy to fix.

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Please excuse my delay in replying as it has been I who have been shortsighted the last few days and consumed with self pity. I'm sorry As I was extremely lucky with Cody, despite age and illness, that he never eliminated in the house, and I am not a pro at these things, my first thought as well was a female mammal issue...dropped bladder or infection (we girls are just so lucky in that department Of course you would have the same items in Sweden as here....duh.....I subscribe to a great Dog Magazine that features incredible products if you would like me to check it out for you..... Meanwhile. reading about another ill pupper, makes me sadder than ever..I hope Tina's problem isn't serious and that it can be treated easily and quickly. Please give her a huge hug and kiss for me.....

Thanks once again for your replies everyone! And the cute picture Albea!

I've talked a lot about this with my parents. First thing was that they were both totally against the diaper idea. They felt it would be cruel to Tina remembering how much she hated wearing diapers when she had her period. So that was sadly out of the question.

As for taking her to the vet... Well, that caused a major argument between me and my parents We are low on money at the moment, and since both my parents are convinced it's all due to old age they aren't too hot on the idea. But since they also both agree that if you have a pet you should damn well care for it no matter how low on money you are it turned out ok. The only problem is that they don't really want to take Tina to the vets since she is literally petrified of going there... Especially if she has to stay overnight or so for some tests. But I kept telling them that we atleast need to call and ask about it, because maybe she wouldn't need to stay over... Well, I've basically still debating and arguing about it with them every day. I've told them to that I will even be willing to use my own saved money for it.

*sighs* I'll keep you guys posted... I feel so bad about this whole thing and I hope she can go visit the vet really soon.

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

RE: Tina's urgent problem!

Dear Ann,

As Tina's owner, I see it as your obligation to take Tina to a vet for evaluation and treatement as soon as humanly possible.

Many of us on PET TALK have made excellent suggestions, none of which have been followed by either you or your parents. If you love Tina as much as you profess to love her, then you have to take action and get medical attention for her immediately.

Tina deserves better than to be treated like this. If you have money available (*you mentioned that you have your own savings), then you have to use the money to help Tina. If you choose not to do so, then I feel it is your obligation to take her to an animal shelter and leave her there. At least that way she will get the medical attention she so obviously needs. To do otherwise is extremely CRUEL, in my opinion.

I am sorry if this sounds harsh, but the truth is that you have been reporting on this problem for quite some time. I feel the time has come to take some definite action for Tina, as she is so obviously in physical distress.

Deborah, SO concerned for Tina in Montreal, Canada
    One cat just leads to another - Ernest Hemingway

Hope you can find a way to take Tina to the vet. It might not cost too much. She just might have an infection that can be cleared up. I will be thinking and praying for her.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Ann,

I am sorry I am late in my response, but I have been away for a few days getting unpacked and settled back from my trip to Lebanon.

So sad to hear about Tina's condition. I think that the Pet Talkers that have already posted have give you some great advice. The first thing you need to do is take her to the vet. I really don't think that it will cost too much to have her checked out. Even if they run a few tests. I understand money is tight, but Tina is a member of you family and has been for the past 12 years. It's OK if she hates the vet. It is a neccessary evil, I am afraid. Drake absolutely detests going to to the vet, but he is taken nonetheless.

Tina is in my thougts!

Souraya

Thanks Sudilar and Souraya (hope your trip was good!), and don't worry; she will be taken to the vet.

Songlover, your post really offended and upset me. You're accusing us of treating our dog badly, saying we don't love her?! And then you tell us we should just dump her at some shelter?! Just... Ugh.

RE: TINA

Ann,

I am sorry if my post upset you, but I think that Sudilar and Doggies are the Best are essentially saying the same thing that I have said.

I did not mean for you to dump her at a shelter at all. I suggested that as an alternative if you really and truly cannot afford to take her to a vet. There she will be given medical treatment and that is all that I meant. I am sure that will be the last resort for you, but the point is, as all the others have said, Tina needs some kind of medical attention and that is clear.

None of us really know all that there is to know about your personal and family situation and it is really none of our business to know those things, Ann. I feel that there must be something preventing you from taking Tina to the vet and I am sorry about whatever it is, as it is obviously causing you a great deal of difficulty.

We are all concerned about the welfare of your beloved dog and we are trying, each in our own way, to support you. That's all.

Deborah in Montreal
    One cat just leads to another - Ernest Hemingway

I know, and I'm sorry for blowing up on you.

I did book a vet time for Tina today, but thanks to the upcoming holiday it won't be until the week after easter.

I'll let you all know how it goes. Thanks for all your suggestions and concerns!

Wow! Your vet must be very busy!
    I'm glad that Tina is going to the be able to see him soon. She is in my thoughts.

Tell me bout it! Aside from it being completely closed during the majority of the easter week, they are very busy. But they are good, and they are our regular vet place so there really isn't all that much to be done about it.

Ann, I hope that everything will be ok with sweet Tina, you're beautiful golden.

Our poodle, Smokey, is 17 and he's been having problems like that for several years now. The past few months he's been wearing diapers....lucky for us, he doesn't seem to mind them at all. He probably would have tried to rip them off when he was younger. Maybe Tina wouldn't mind them as much now that she's older...who knows.

Glad to hear Tina's going to the vet!

I hope it turns out to be something that can be taken care of. Let us know what he says, good luck!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Thanks

Oh, and wolf_Q, perhaps you're right with the diaper thing... Only reason I kinda doubt that is of the way she acted a while ago when she had to wear a... Uhmm... I honestly don't know what it's called in english >_< Those white plastic thingies you put around the dog's neck so it can't lick it's wounds. Know what I mean? Anyway, I know it's nothing like diapers but when she had to wear that she stood up, all night, without sleeping at all! We tried to lay her down several times but she got up everytime, totally stressed. In the end we just took the thing off and made her sleep in my bed (so I could watch over her).

We call it a "cone", Ann, or Elizabethian Collar (sp??). And those girls don't like them one bit!! We have never had to deal with the collar or diapers with our Golden girls, luckily. They never went into heat since I had them spayed prior to that experience.

But, I have a friend whose Golden had to have her anal sacs removed last week after numerous problems. She's wearing a diaper and doing very well.

I only wish the very best for Tina!