Thread: Buster is a pet and a dog of war.

Buster is a pet and a dog of war.

Buster is a pet and a dog of war. The Sky News story says Buster is the only one in Iraq. Although, I have seen reports of other dogs.

From Sky News, Buster, the dog of war
       From the BBC, Buster sniffs out Iraqi weapons stash
       The Times has an older story about Buster. Army prepares to let slip dogs of war

Paul

I hope Buster and his owner stay safe. The doggy is soooo cute.

Just another amazing dog from a shelter! Buster is obviously well-loved, and now is a star! Here's hoping he, and his handler, stay safe.

Good boy, Buster! Good boy!

What a good boy you are Buster!! Keep up the good work!

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Thankyou for sharing Buster's amazing story.

I hope Buster/his handler remain safe.

----<---<--<{(@

Of course Buster caught my eye because he is a Springer like my Bob, but what special dogs they all are. Prayers that they and their handlers/human friends stay safe.

Chris

Thanks for posting that Paul. I saw it late last night and wanted to post it myself, but I wasn`t sure where it should go and was going to ask today!

Buster the wonder dog, you are just darling, look at that face.
    Prayers going that you and your handler keep safe.
    One of our ladies in our community has adopted a K-9 Unit of 6 dogs and 6 handlers and we are all donating money for the men and their dogs. She just mailed a package of goodies for the men and strong booties for the dogs, plus toys and other things that they need. They have been adopted by our community and our sister community.
    Jackie

Some news of Buster....

Buster to receive PDSA Dickin Medal

Buster, a five-year-old springer spaniel and the pride of the Royal Army Veterinary Corps, is to receive the PDSA Dickin Medal, “the animals’ Victoria Cross”, for bravery and devotion to duty during the latest conflict in Iraq.

In April 2003, the sniffer dog located a hidden cache of arms, drugs and explosives that could have caused the deaths of thousands of civilians and Service personnel in the village of Safwan in Southern Iraq.

"We are pleased and proud to honour Buster with the PDSA Dickin Medal – the animals’ Victoria Cross," said PDSA’s Director General Marilyn Rydström. "And to do this in the year that we celebrate the 60th anniversary of the Medal is particularly poignant. Well done Buster!"

Buster, who was one of more than 20 war dogs drafted in to assist the allied forces in the Gulf, is currently working out his quarantine in Germany. He is due to return to Britain in late November and will be presented with his PDSA Dickin Medal at a special ceremony in London in early December. He will be joined by Sergeant Danny Morgan, his handler who is based at the military dogs training school at Aldershot, and a guest list that will include military personnel who witnessed Buster’s bravery.

"Quite simply, Buster succeeded where humans failed," said Lieutenant Colonel Gerald Dineley of the Army Medical Directorate in Surrey. "A manual search of the building had failed to unearth any material and Buster was released into the house to continue the search. Within minutes Buster became excited in a particular area of the room. As a result of that we found, concealed behind a purpose built wall cavity, a stash of guns, grenades, ammunition, bomb making equipment, explosive devices, drugs and propaganda material."

Buster will be the 60th animal to receive the PDSA Dickin Medal since the introduction of the award by PDSA’s founder Maria Dickin in 1943. So far it has been presented to 32 pigeons, 23 dogs, three horses and one cat.

Thursday, September 04, 2003

Yeah for Buster!!! Chris, do you think you could get an email for the handler so I might send a personal congrats?

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

Wasn't there a Buster (springer ) that they had a huge story on for the 911 searches? is this possibly the same dog? I know they had dogs from all over the world working some friends took their dogs over to NY .
    As a side note can we remeber the secuity dogs and search dogs lost and hurt on 911 and in the days after.

bump

Corrina, sorry, I can`t find any info on a dog named Buster and the 9/11 searches. Maybe someone else has some info?
    I did however, find this tribute slideshow to honour them.
    Canine heroes tribute slideshow

Molly, no luck, so far, on getting an e-mail address for Sergeant Morgan. Though I did get an snail mail address for the Corps in Aldershot if you are interested?

When doing the searches I came across this article on Sam, the GSD who was posthumously awarded the Dickin Medal last year.
    War medal given to hero dog.

Chris

Buster, canine hero!

What an amazing, courageous, beautiful dog! Buster is a true canine hero. He is so deservinng of that medal!! Thanks so much for the links, Paul and Chris. Chris, the video of the 9/11/ Canine Heroes was so moving. What brave, devoted, loyal creatures. But, when I clicked on the link to the horrifying story of the fate of Canine hero Git, I felt sick As a life long resident of NJ, I felt compelled to write Gov. McGreevey.
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 09-11-2003 at 08:22 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Wonderful heros from the animal kingdom!!!!! Thanks for sharing the links.

Git's story has always made me cry.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Here's a site everyone might find interesting(and heartbreaking) Don't know if you ever got to see it on Animal PLanet. It was very sad. About the dogs of Viet Nam that were left behind like property. It's a horrible thing they did to those dogs. I'm ashamed of our armed services for that. www.wardogs.com

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06