Thread: I'm so sad...

I'm so sad...

Well, I started volunteering in Feb at my local humane society and up until yesterday it has been a positive experince. I went in yesterday to help out as a pet placement person.(adoptions) While I was getting my paperwork ready I over heard how one of the dogs(Dapper) in the kennel had bitten another volunteer. Apparently, there has been problems with him, but I wasn't aware of them In fact, I got pretty close to him. I walked him alot and he loved to play ball. I never saw aggresion in him. Well, they pulled him from the adoption kennels and they are going to euthanize him! I was so upset I started crying. I had no idea I would get so close to them so fast! They said he had been in there for along time and that this could be part of the problem. I asked if I could take him or try to find a home for him and they said it was too late. They would not allow him to be adopted. I just feel so bad.
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

So sorry. So sad. Hugs to you.

I've been volunteering at shelters for almost 5 years now and it never gets any easier. There's always going to be sad stories like this, no matter how great the shelter is. The thing that helps me feel better is I just work extra hard for the rest of the animals and try to prevent similar circumstances in the future. Since I've been around the shelter so long, I am allowed to take the dogs to Petsmart or the park. Its really important for the long-termers to get out of the shelter environment, even if its just for a couple hours. Do what you can to help them but know that sometimes you just can't prevent things You are doing great. Stay strong and keep helping the animals. You're doing a great thing
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I'm sorry. I work in a shelter and it's never easy. However, it's not fair to the public to adopt out a dog with a history of biting--it's both a danger and does the shelter a disservice, as people will associate it with aggressive dogs (whether that's fair or not).

Sometimes being kenneled in the shelter for a long time can bring on severe behavioral changes in a dog that are hard, if not impossible, to change. It helps me to remember that as a shelter worker making the decision to euthanize, that's it's not my fault. It's not the dog's fault. It's the fault of people who continue to think of pets as disposable items, who leave them tied up in yards without training or socialization, who don't spay/neuter, and who breed them for profit without care. Get mad at these people, be sad at this situation.

I know it doesn't make it any easier, but I hope it doesn't change your mind about volunteering. Our shelter couldn't do half the work it does without our volunteers, simple as that.

Cisco's Mom,

I'm sorry for Dapper too. It is a very sad situation. Even at it's
    best, Shelter life (long term ) for a dog or cat must be hell on
    earth. Being confined without enough interaction with people
    one on one, or even normal dog like interaction with other dogs
    outside his cage can have terrible consequences for the animal.
    The stress of living in such an un-natural enviroment can drive
    them "over the edge". If more foster homes could be found,
    it would really help a lot more dogs stay in adoptable condition
    mentally. It would be really hard for me accept this sad fact
    of having a dog pts after having developed a relationship with
    the animal. I hope you are able to focus more on all the good
    things you can do for these little ones. Bless you for helping and
    for caring. Hugs from Liz & Smokey.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I know how you feel. But please don't quit doing it. The shelters needs good volunteers. Good Luck and keeping you in my thoughts.

How very hard on you that must be. I don't know if I could bear it.
    Keep up the good work. Tell him to wait for you at Rainbow Bridge.
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

I want to thank ya'll for all the encouragement. As I have just discovered it is very dificult. I will not give up! I'm going to help as much as I can and do what I can to help all the fur babies I can!!! I will admit that I didn't go in yesterday because I was so bumbed out, but I know that I must continue. I have only just begun and I have plenty to learn!

Thanks again for the Encouragement!!

Renee
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

hey...

is there a shelter where they dont do this, that u could volunteer at, we have cats protection league and others who never put an animal to sleep, unless it was ill and had to of course, our spca euthanize though, just wondering. keep u the good work
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️