Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dog Reputations

Dog Reputations

What dogs do you think have a wrong rep? Like fancy, ugly, snooty Poodles; aggresive bully-type dogs, that all Labs are the perfect family dog, etc.

I think almost all breeds have stereotypes linked with them. Mostly I think it's because people don't do enough research before they get a dog and wind up with one totally inappropriate for their lifestyles.

Of course I think pit bulls suffer terribly (they're near and dear to my heart).....as do rottweillers, shepards and dobies.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    ~Kat

I also hear people call small dogs, expecially Chihuahuas, 'ankle-biters.'

And Cockers 'snappy.'

Love the picture of the pit!! Too cute!

I'm with Cheshirekatt - Pits have a bad rap, one they don't deserve.

So do Rottweilers and GSD's - they don't deserve it either!!!

The only "bad rap" my spotty dogs seem to get is "aren't they are stupid?" - Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr . Stubborn is the word - STUBBORN!!!
    M!
    "No dog is born either vicious or friendly, but rather a blank slate that is moulded, for better or worse, by the owner."

Any dog can be "stupid"

I think Pits, Rotties and Dobies get the worst rep. I also don't agree with labs and goldens being the perfect family pet. Of course they are great family pets but Rotties can also be one too. And even if Shelties are notorious barkers, they don't all do that. Also, I used to think that Chi's and small dogs were all hyper, barky, little things but that's only from what I would hear or see on TV. Then I found out here on PT that that isn't so.

Any dog can be agressive or friendly. The owner and environment usually plays a part. (Unless its a health problem) I think people should stop relying on "rumours" to judge a dog and get to know it's charactar first.

Okay, I've said my bit...

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

I agree!

It is so funny you mention that. I recently adopted a pit bull puppy from a kid who's landlord would not let him have a dog. And so far everyone I've told about our new addition has said something to the effect that they are dangerous!, and oh I guess I cant let my kids go to your house anymore... So here I go defending the whole breed, because of the bias against them.
    My doggie, is a sweet mush. Its very frustrating!!!
    Tifi

To Captain, I've heard too that "Dalmatians are the dumbest dogs." Well the people who say that must have owned every single dog to say that that one breed is the dumbest!!!

Another dog with a bad rep. is the Bull Terrier. I went to the pet store to see the animals and I saw one. So I asked to play with him in the play area. The whole time he was with me he didn't leave my lap. Even when I put him by my sister to see he just came right back to me and tryed to climb back into my lap. (He was having a bit of a struggle since he was only about 2 months, so I had to help him!) I fell in love right there!!!

Pit Bull Racism ..lol

I recently went to the Pet Co. near me in NY and I was asking for a training book for the Pit Bull Breed. They are NOT ALLOWED TO SELL PITBULLS! Thus didn't have a book about them.... That shocked me. But I guess with all the irresponsible & terrible owners out there they don't want to be responsible if the dog gets wild. (Though that can happen with any breed). Poor Pit Bulls, they get such a bad rap.
    Tifi

So many breeds have stereo
    I think almost all breeds have stereotypes linked with them.
    Yes, I agree!

The ones I hear the most bad things about are Pits, Rotts, Dobermans, and even Dalmations.

Personally, my dalmation is great! So many people say they aren't dogs to have with kids. Destiny came to us from a home that had 2 children and the youngest was falling all over her and she just sat there. It was amazing. She was so tolerant of the children that I couldn't believe people said that dalmation aren't good with kids. Amy's lab/dalmation mix is the same way. I could not imagine those two (the main dals I know) attacking anybody for no reason. Oh and to this:
    "Dalmatians are the dumbest dogs."
    I wonder who really thinks that. My dalmation is very smart. All of my girls are. I can see them thinking half the time when I look at them. I would never think my girls are dumb, not after observing them like I have, especially my dalmation!

some people say maltese are prissy little dogs with an attitude of im miss perfect. maltese are definately not that! they are playful, curious, active, and of course cuddely. a lot of people actully think that about small long haired dogs.
    Last edited by Jessica12345; 04-02-2003 at 04:32 PM.

pitbulls for sure,
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    pitbulls for sure,
    definatley