Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flea products

Flea products

I want to just inform all of you Please don't buy over the counter flea products for cats or dogs. We are learning the hard way, our Winky may not live through the night at the vets. The vet said even some of the flea shampoos are harming some animals.

OMG!! I'm so sorry to hear of this!

I'm an environmental chemist and I have always had concerns about these types of products. Especially those topicals that one puts directly on the back of their pets neck. To me a person is just putting liqued pesticide on thier pets. This is absrbed and goes into the blood strem. Can't be good. Lots' of short term studies, but no long term studies. Ectc....

I will pray for your fur baby and your family. I truely hope the best works out and your baby can come home!!
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

I hope Winky is ok, what sad news.

What we use is applied to the back of their necks, but it was given to us from the vet--it's called Revolution, and it is for fleas, ticks, and heartworm.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

OMG, I hope your sweet Winky is ok! That's awful!

For flea products, I personally like BioSpot!

I really hope he's ok! I will keep him in my thoughts and prayers!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Just an update He is still at the vets they called late last night he was losing body temp. and not seeming to bring it up. So we were getting prepared for the worst. But he is still having some sezure activity( they have him on barbitues) But his temp is going up. They have him in an incubature. They are keeping him under till the seazures stop.
    They said they would call if he starts to slip backwards. The one vet called she took him home with her to keep a watch on him all night (amazing lady vet) she even told me he is a very special guy. We agree.
    Thanks for all the prayers they are helping.
    Ebony our little girl is spending the day looking for her big brother . Shes really cuddling up like never before too.

O I am soooo sorry to hear about this ::hugs:: I hope your baby is ok! I will be praying for him!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I'm so sorry to read this thread. Glad to hear Winky's doing a bit better. We'll keep him and you on the prayer list. What type of product was used?

PS I'm so glad you have such a wonderful vet. Sounds like she may help make the difference in Winky's recovery.

LATEST report. Last night after posting the vet called. She said Winky hadn't had any meds since the AM and she had just checked him and the little buugger was tring to lift his head. Yeah Wink!! She had given him some iv glugose and some vitamins but was going to leave the iv out and he was in the incubater but it was turned off. She was going to leave him for the night at the clinic. She knows he hates car rides and didn't want to stress him any more.
    This morning she called and she was laughing he was standing up (wobbly) and met her demanding food. We can pick him up tomorrow. She admited that they really didn't think he was going to make it. tuff old guy we have.
    If you are ever in northern montana and need a vet. Dr. Kate List and Dr. Karen Mooney at Alpine and Central Hospitals are the best. Dr Karen is the one who stayed up all night with our boy. I'm working on a special knitted hat for her.
    Thanks to all who have sent us the great words and prayers. I ment a lot to me but it really helped Winky's 19year old daddy. (my son ben) He saved this cat as a kitten from my moms dogs and has had him for 14 years . Only not had him to sleep with maybe a total of 2 weeks though out those years it was a huge flood of tears here on friday night. Thanks agiain for the terriffic thoughts.

Wonderful news!! Way to go Winky!!!!!
    It seems as though you have the best vet--how wonderful.
    Would you mind posting what it is that you used on Winky?? I'm just curious.
    Thank you for bringing it to everyone's attention, and give Winky a hug from me when he gets home!!!!

Corinna, I hope Winky is still doing well. I agree with you about over the counter flea products. Don used a flea shampoo on Perry and it burned his one eye, we took him to the Vet and he gave us some medication to put in his eye etc. etc. He had a really tough time with it. We don't use flea shampoo anymore.
    Jackie, Perry and Miss Daisy

O I am so happy to hear he is doing better! ::hugs:: Such a fighter!! YIPEE! This is time for a celebration!! YAA HOO!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

I'm glad to hear that Winky os doing fine!

But would you mind telling us what the product was? So none of us accidentally use it?
    I've been BOO'd!

Max gets Advantage & it doesn't bother him & hes a sensitive dog... but we only get the meds from the vet... But its not like Max needs anything for fleas he hasn't had a single flea in over 6 yrs, I don't think they like his blood, hehehe

I'm really glad he's going much much better & will be going home... Thats a very very nice vet...

A vet did something like that to Max... on short notice we needed to board him & the only place we would dream of taking him was to the vets... The vets kennel was full & would have been too small for Max, but one vet said she has a kennel at her home not in use & she would board him for the same price as the vets kennel. We left him with her & when we came back, she told us a few stories.. She brought him to the office with her every day (because she knew he wasn't an out doors dog... she gave him a big chair to sleep on & let him run loose in the fields out back with her kids & her dogs... she told us he was a good quiet dog, except when someone was coming up the driveway, she said he sounded mean until she greated the person... but she made 1 big boo boo, which made us not use her again... We gave very specific rules about his water, food & bowls. His water & food bowl was in a diff kennel with a dog... Max had a chewed up pail & a muddy food dish... Max also had diarea on his butt which means he wasn't drinking town water, she gave him well water (which makes him very ill)... I through a small fit because his good water pail was chewed & his "ceramic" food dish was muddy & had poop on it... the vet heard my fit & said that thats not the pen she left him in, her daughtor mush have put the dogs in the wrong pen... but I didn't care at that point, I now had an ill dog on my hands... & trust me, cleaning diarea off ur dogs butt, car seats & rugs at home, is not fun... especialy after a nice vaccation

I'm gonna take a lot of flack for saying this, but, being the person who I am....

I think it's funny all of you said something along the line "...but, my vet gave it to me..." like it makes it safer than if you went to the store and bought it off the counter with out a prescription.

Just because a doctor gave it to you or a vet gave it to you, that doesn't mean it's always safe.

Just read OTC or prescription pill bottle, warnings and cautions all over the place.
    Most pet medications have no printed warnings or cautions... that doesn't make them safe because they have no warnings labels.

I'm not saying Advantage, Frontline, Revolution, etc... isn't safe, you can draw your own conclusion about that, but, do you reasearch before accepting something that some doctor or vet gave you saying it's safe... Take Asprin for example... it's kills thousands a year.... it's sold over the counter and doctors recommend it all the time... but is it really 'safe' if it's killing thousands a year?

Some comments from the EPA:
    http://www.epa.gov/kidshometour/products/dspray.htm

Some Comments from the Humane Society of the US:
    http://www.hsus.org/ace/11795

http://www.petitiononline.com/hartz/petition.html

It's fall and if you have a pet cat or dog who spends time outdoors, chances are they want to come inside more often. Unfortunately, so do the fleas they carry. Conventional flea treatments (collars, bombs, sprays and shampoos) may pose substantial health risks to you, your family and your pet. Of 20 ingredients commonly used in such treatments, half are known or suspected carcinogens and two-thirds are neuro- toxins. Children, who breathe faster than adults, and spend more time at "pet-level" are particularly vulnerable. Several studies in Baltimore, Denver and the state of Missouri have associated home pesticide use with childhood cancers, for example. Do your kids, your pets and your family a favor by taking the time to control fleas by vacuuming more frequently, regularly washing bedding where fleas gather and grooming your pets with a flea comb.
    from: http://www.orcouncil.org/OEC%20Solut...ctober2002.htm

Some natural alternatives to spot on flea controls:
    http://www.altvetmed.com/fleas.html

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have."
    -Margaret Mead

Originally posted by Brie
    I'm gonna take a lot of flack for saying this, but, being the person who I am....

I think it's funny all of you said something along the line "...but, my vet gave it to me..." like it makes it safer than if you went to the store and bought it off the counter with out a prescription.

The reason I said that, is that I trust my vet 100% There's a reason she does the job that she does, and it is because she truly loves animals, and wants to keep them healthy.

I also buy over the counter meds for myself, but not many. I have to take meds every day, and whenever I need something for a cold or whatever, I check with the pharmacist first, so I know it does not affect my other meds.

Not giving any flak, just explaining where I am coming from!!