Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Jones is feeling 'punky' after the Vet visit

Mr. Jones is feeling 'punky' after the Vet visit

My Mr. Jones is feeling poorly after his shots at the vet yesterday.

For the first 24 hours I could not tell if he ate. He turned down his meal.
    He spent all his time on the upstairs bed and would not come down when I yelled.

So, I slept with him up there last night. He purred and got his scratchys.

This morning he would not come down for breakfast. So I took him up some milk. (he tolerates it well)

He ate some dinner tonight.

The shots he got were distemper and the FeLV .

Anyone's cat have reactions to their vaccs.?

Most certainly. In fact, I will not give Max or Speckles shots anymore. They are indoor kitties and are never exposed to other pets.

They had their last shots about 2 yrs ago and Speckles (14 at the time) was sick for about 3 days and did not return to normal for about a week. Her appetite went down and she was very lethargic. Max (8 at the time) handled it better but still he was not himself for about 3 days. There was another thread about this some time ago about the pros and cons of shots. Note sure where it was but you may want to search it out.
    Last edited by slick; 03-26-2003 at 11:52 AM.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I'm so sorry to hear that Mr. Jones isn't feeling well. I've never experienced this with my cats but there have been a few pet talkers that have. I sure hope he recovers soon. I'd call the vet and let him know what Mr. Jones is going through. Please keep us updated on his condition.

Mr. Jones is better.

He slept with us, like normal, and is screaming for food.

Those shots make them feel pretty crappy.

When Snowy was a tiny kitten, he got his shots and he got the shakes (chills), so I had to call the vet and give him a baby aspirin. I remember I had to work a long job that day, I was so upset that I had to leave. There was a nurse in the house, back in those days.(for Dad)

Thanks for all the concern.

Luckily my cats have never had any reactions to their vaccines but it can happen. All cats that get a leukemia vaccine at our office have to wait in the office for 20 minutes after the vaccine is given so we can watch for any reactions and the owners are told that if there is a reaction at home, to call us and bring the cat back in. I've only seen this happen a couple of times. I would call the vet and let them know what went on so that they can update your file with this information.
    Good luck and I hope he's feeling better.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I'm so glad to hear that Mr. Jones is feeling much better today.

the cats have never had a realy bad reaction to shots, but I have several who go through the feeling poorly routine for up to a couple of days. They are all different.

My Luke had a bad reaction the the Feline Luekemia shot. I found him stretched out in the bath tub gasping for breath. I had to take him in and they gave him a shot to counteract it. Leonardo had a huge lump come up under one of his front arm pits after his first Feline luk shot. Luckily it went away in time. I refuse to let the vet give that shot to the boys now. They've all been tested and are negitive for fel lukemia and since they are all indoor cats I just don't put us through it. Usually after their regular shots they may droop around that evening but are fine the next morning.

Oh my! Poor Luke!!!

I don't know what it is about that leukemia vaccine...I never give it to my cats either, they've all been tested and are indoors also so they don't need it. They get their rabies by law and the only reason they get distemper is because of what I do.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I thought I would keep up the FeLV vacc on the boys because I'm going to get foster Meezers. Soon!
    What do you all think?

Glad he's feeling better.

The only one that ever felt yucky after shots was Noah. I feel so bad for them, I just wish they could understand.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

The vet always warns us, but none of the cats have been out of sorts. I was a bit worried about my 19 yr old - whether to get her shots or not - but she is such a tough old bird, she had no problem at all.

Originally posted by rosethecopycat
    I thought I would keep up the FeLV vacc on the boys because I'm going to get foster Meezers. Soon!
    What do you all think?
    This is what I do. Initially, I isolate a new foster until it's been cleared (initial worming, no signs of a cold, and FIV and FLV negative.) Then the cat can join the general population if I think he/she has the temperament for it. None of my cats get leukemia vaccines any more. I think a 70% protection rate is unacceptable given the high incidence of side effects.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Thanks Smokey,

I AM a person of statistics. I had no idea it was like 70%.

I will isolate the fosters for 10-14 days.

What do you think about the chances of getting ringworm?
    (a neighbor knew someone who fostered 3 kittens that had ringworm and passed it on to her cat..all put down. )

felv shots. glad your cat feels better

I had four indoor cats, but I just lost one recently due to feline leukemia. I received Romeo from the humane society. He had been checked negative for the disease, but must have just contacted the disease as he got it later. I made a point of immunizing all of my cats against all diseases even though they are indoor cats. It is because they did that the disease did not pass to my other cats and the remaining three are negative.

The only reason that I would not immunize a cat is if it is elderly or in poor health. It is better for your cat to have a one day reaction than to have him develop a fatal disease. Do you remember the story, "The Mask of the Red Death?" They all thought that they were safe, too. But the fact is that you can't build your walls high enough.
    True love is forever.