Thread: Byakko is unpredictable with other dogs-help?

Byakko is unpredictable with other dogs-help?

Byakko is having some aggressive issues with other dogs, none with people at all.She is such a sweetie but she went after Dakota the leonberger and has gone after other dogs.I think mostly females but not always.So far so good in puppy class but I keep her seperate like we are suposed to.This is just basic obedience for now.I can't trust her.It is upsetting because we used to go to the dog park all the time and she used to play with all the puppies/dogs now I have to watch like a hawk for when the line is about to be crossed at home and we don't go to the dog park anymore.She started to become the bully.She picked on some of the really little puppies too that were really to young to be there but she shouldn't be doing that.She also is treat aggresive so if there was a treat left on the ground she would get aggressive toward another dog.She is a shiba Inu and much is typical of the breed but I am hoping to get her basic down well enough that she calms some.She has been with the leo. and lab. for months and they played well even great together and now as she matures she is getting aggressive toward the Leonberger who is female.She has only been spayed for a few weeks now.She seems to just go after whoever she wants whenever she wants for whatever reason size doesn't matter.It may be a 130lb akita or a 10lb puppy.Of course now I keep her from the situations in most instances but I don't want to have to keep my own dogs seperate forever.She does pretty well on a leash but I wouldn't trust her to far from me.Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.I have heard from some shiba people and have some ideas alot with working with her basics and well you have a queen shiba-that I sure do, but I want to try and cover all my bases and get any suggestion because I hope one day they will all be able to be together all the time again or at least for periods of time.
    Laurie

Laurie-
    I don't have much advice for you--Kito is the same way. I don't worry about him at all with bigger dogs, but he hates smaller dogs. The first time he met my mother in laws pom puppy, he went after him like he was food. They haven't seen each other since. He has gotten used to her other pom, but he doesn't really like him. He is fine with Abbey, and my parent's dog, Max, who is bigger than him, but around smaller dogs I do not trust him one bit. There is a lhasa that lives downstairs from us, and he hates her too, but the huge lab that lives behind us, he wants to play with.
    I would also love for him to be a lot nicer, and more predictable, but I'm not sure what to do. I will be starting training soon, after we move into our house and that is all settled, but for now he is just on the leash all the time, and has to be that way. (On the leash outside that is, not in the house).
    I hope someone has some advice for you, because I could use it too!! I'm not sure if he's really being agressive or not either, because I won't let him close enough to the smaller dogs.

Gotta love those Shibas
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

How true gotta love those Shiba's.Of course you always feel better when you know you aren't alone .Thanks for sharing that.She does hate my daughters pom mix.I dont know if there is ever a chance for them but the others have great fun but then she has taken to randomly attacking Dakota the leonberger who is much larger but I think it is a female issue.She does much better with Mojo the male lab mix.But you never know sometimes they all play but much more reliably Mojo and Byakko play.I am hoping as the hormones die from the spay and time passes she mellows some but I know also age has made her more testy from a little puppy when she played with everybody.It is just frustrating.I spent so much time socializing her but we will continue in puppy class even if we are in basic forever , which seems like a possibility .Then there is my son with Mojo the star of his puppy class at least we seperated them and we go on wed and they go on Mon. so I am not so embarrassed . My son does help with Byakko's class too becuase of my dissability, the hour is a bit long for me and the bending so much putting her bouncy little self back into sits and down stays .I am lucky to have such a great 12 yr old son who is so good with the dogs and I am lucky to have such wonderful puppies too.Byakko is so wonderful to cuddle and love and so funny to watch chasing bubbles and I keep hearing about the laser pointers.I must get one I think she would love it.I hope they all will.
    Laurie

Rocky is the same way, but he is a BIG SHIBA INU.

That dominant behavior can be the pits.

If you are interested in Dog Behavior,
    Bruce Fogle has a couple of good books.

I like the paper back book,
    The Dog's Mind by Bruce Fogle, DVM
    Karen

----<---<--<{(@

I am interested in dog behavior.Thanks for the book title.This is my first small size Akita type Our Akita was not this bad though.She was at least pretty predictable.My friends have her brother and another now.He is 11 now.Your pics are absolutely beautiful in your signature..I love them, so adorable.Thanks again.
    Laurie
    PS -in case anyone wonders I am aware of the differences in the two breeds-but the shiba is so funny because they definately are a big dog in a little compact body.

Is Byakko a dominent dog? My dog is a Cocker Spaniel and she is the top dog in a neighborhood full of German Shepherds, Akitas and Huskies.