Thread: Getting used to her...I need help!

Getting used to her...I need help!

My dog Pedro is kind of having problems with the new puppy in the household and it understandable because he is so used to being the spoiled only dog, but I dont like it when he becomes anger and growls and snaps at her. Anyone have any advice? Thanks.
    Ashley

How old is Pedro?

Its very normal for adult dogs to correct puppies by growling and snapping. The puppy should take cues from this and start learning how to behave around Pedro. Does she back off when she's growled at? If she doesn't, you may have a problem on your hands.

Just let Pedro correct her (as long as thats all he's doing - growling and snapping). If you stop him from doing this, he will have no way of warning her then just go straight for the bite!

Oh yeah, and its important to give them breaks from each other because puppies can be so annoying to older dogs. I would suggest getting a crate for the pup if you don't already have one.

Good luck!
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Aly's suggestions are wonderful--we had a spoiled dog, and got another, and they fought for a while, but nothing serious, however neither were pups. My mother in law got a pom pup and her 6 year old pom was not thrilled, but they just need time apart once in a while, and the other one needs to know he is still important. Greet him first, give him treats first, feed him first-just make sure he knows how much you still love him!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Pedro is almost 4 years old. I think the thing that bothers him the most is that Kiesha likes to bite him alot, so they start playing and he is doing better with her, but sometimes he forgets that she is so small and I get a little scared that he is going to hurt her. But then again she is a very tough.
    Ashley

I understand your feelings about a big dog and a little dog. I have a 57 lb mixed breed and a 9.5 lb yorkie. They play fight all the time. We worried at first that Carly would hurt Molly since there is such a difference in size. But to our amazement and delight, Carly has turned out to be very good at judging her strength when fighting with Molly. Carly gets down on the floor and they do a lot of posturing, but no one has been hurt yet. It is funny to watch.

Your dog

Dont worry about your puppy getting hurt, I'ts because your older Dog is developing the Alpha section.
    Unknown