Thread: A very polite burglar

A very polite burglar

polite or not ... you're still a burglar!

-----
    Burglar breaks-in, apologizes to homeowner
    By Brian Cox, Special to the Tribune

Skokie police on Thursday were continuing to look for a burglar who broke into a home in the north suburb then continually apologized for the crime to a woman who happened to be home.

He also promised to call her and tell her where he was pawning the jewelry he was stealing so she could get it back, police said.

The 43-year-old woman told police that when she walked into the bedroom of her home at around 8 a.m. on August 27 she was confronted by a man holding a 16-inch-long pry bar, police said

The man reportedly told the victim he wasn’t going to hurt her.

“I don’t want do to this but I haven’t had a job for so long and I have three children to support,” he said, according to police.

The intruder asked the victim for jewelry and money.

Police gave the following account:

The victim took jewelry from a safe in the bedroom closet. When she told the man it belonged to her mother, he said: “Why did you have to tell me this was your mother’s jewelry?”

He took change from a glass jar on a dresser and used his shirt to wipe off fingerprints. He reportedly took an envelope containing about $485 and 100 Euros as well as $50 cash.

When the intruder asked what was in another bedroom, the victim told him it was her 16-year-old daughter’s bedroom.

“I won’t touch anything in here since I have three children of my own and I wouldn’t want anyone to mess with them,” he said.

Police said the intruder tied the victims arms behind her back with a phone cord and asked her for a pen and paper so he could write down her cell phone number. He said he wanted call her and tell her where he had pawned her mother’s jewelry.

He put the victim into the bathroom and told her to wait 10 minutes before calling police. When the woman freed herself, she discovered that two cameras and a laptop were also taken.

Police said there has not been an arrest.

They said that the intruder did not call the victim as he had promised to do.

Although the intruder was polite and apologetic, the incident was still terrifying, police said.

“It’s a very scary situation for anyone,” said officer Tammy Jacobson.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Geez! That is crazy!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Too bad she didn't have a gun to shoot him. Her sense of safety now will never be the same. I doubt she will get a good night sleep for many a moon. They don't just take items they take something more precious your sense of safety within your own home.

Sounds like a desperate guy, but there are food pantries and other ways to get help without resorting to crime.
    I've Been Frosted

I probably would have fell for the guy's story and offered to write him a cheque when he said he had no job and kids at home.
    Can you believe anyone committting a crime and taking the time to apologize, very weird for sure.
    I hope the poor woman can get her mom's jewellery back, it must feel terrible to lose mementos when that's all you have left.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

haha... this is weird. Once my mom's friend was going to Dars (Islamic congregation) and she had her Quran with her and it was in her purse. A man on a motorcycle came and snatched it away. She screamed, " Hey give it back my Quran is in it! You won't find anything else!" And the man turned the motorcycle and put it nicely and softly on the footpath and left.

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    I probably would have fell for the guy's story and offered to write him a cheque when he said he had no job and kids at home.
    Can you believe anyone committting a crime and taking the time to apologize, very weird for sure.
    I hope the poor woman can get her mom's jewellery back, it must feel terrible to lose mementos when that's all you have left.
    Yes, I would have either gave him some money, or gave him some food.

Quote Originally Posted by sana View Post
    haha... this is weird. Once my mom's friend was going to Dars (Islamic congregation) and she had her Quran with her and it was in her purse. A man on a motorcycle came and snatched it away. She screamed, " Hey give it back my Quran is in it! You won't find anything else!" And the man turned the motorcycle and put it nicely and softly on the footpath and left.
    Now THAT's a polite burglar!
    I've Been Frosted

haha!