Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: should I start training my Greman Shepard

should I start training my Greman Shepard

I just got a german shepard yesterday. She is two months old, born Jan. 17, 2003. I don't know when to start training her. Show I start know or wait? And what are the different kinds of training lessons for dogs. ( I'm a newbie to this pet dog thing.) What should I start first with? Should I go to school for dog training or should I buy a book on the subject and 'TRY' to train her myself?

~Z~
    "when life gets tough, get a dog."

Once your dog is 10 weeks old and has had their second round
    of shots, I would suggest a puppy kindergarten class for her.
    You work on the basic commands like "sit", "come", "down", etc.,
    but the main purpose is socialization. The more things and
    situations your dog is exposed to as a puppy, the more
    confident and well behaved dog you will have.

A few months ago I took my Collie puppy through a puppy
    class at Petsmart and it was the best thing I ever did. He
    was a bit of a nervous nelly about some things and the class
    really helped him get over his fear of new things. He's much
    more confident now and if he does have an initial "UhOh
    what's that?" reaction to something new now, he adjusts
    to it quicker and is more curious about investigating it.

Par...

You can start simple training right now. Is she housebroken yet? If not, first work on that! Formal classes need to wait until she has had all her shots, but you can work on simple things like house training, and teaching her what a leash is (and that it's not a chew toy) now!

Oh, how fun! As a German Shepherd she is probably very smart, so lots of toys to chew on and things to keep her busy are a good idea. Hide the shoes!!!!

Why not get a book from the library for now? As a first-timer, you'll have a lot to learn, but a lot of fun learning it. Simple things I know:

Never hit her.
    Don't scold her for something she did half an hour before. If you don't catch her "in the act," she won't have any clue why you're upset!
    Love her,
    Love her,
    and love her!

Oh, congratulations! What's her name?

OOO it's gonna be alot of fun...the peeing, pooping...you gotta love it all! I think the puppy class is a good idea. You want to socialize your dog as much as possible. Also, you want to expose her to alot of new things. If she's not housetrained...make sure you have alot of vinigar! LOL...I think that you should bring her to a obedience class afterwards...but in the meantime, you can start with her if you'd like. I started with Kai right away..so by the time we went to obedience..there really wasn't a purpose for us to go...he knew everything already but the socialization was needed.
    I also think you should establish that you are the leader at this stage...from the moment I got Kai, I made it clear that I was boss. It's best they learn now rather than when she's older...and ALOT bigger. Anyways, congrats on the GSD! I just love that breed!

Rambunctious, rumbustious, delinquent dogs become angelic when sitting - Ian Dunbar

Hi Z! Congrats on your new German Shepard puppy! I had a German Shepard Dog (and three BC's) name Rex since before I was born that passed away last year. They are incredible dogs! But.. GSD's arent exactly the best first timer dog. I suggest that you immediately establish yourself as 'master', that is what is extremely important in this stage of your puppies life. Training is essential. I totally agree with the puppy kindergarten classes. It is a great way of both socializing and training your pup. Also, housetrain the dog! Now is the best time! You can find many many great websites/books that are all about training, but I find that the experience with a qualified trainer, hands-on, is a much better method than self-training.. Especially since youre a beginner dog owner. click here for a good site on training What are you feeding the puppy? I suggest Nutro Max for Large breed puppies... it worked extremely well on my puppy Archie and he has grown into a beautiful dog on that food. Try out a few dog foods (buy from qualified pet stores, not grocery stores, & check the ingredients list for lamb meal & good stuff!) and see which works best for your baby. Petsmart is a GREAT place to go for training, ParNone! Very affordable, professional, fun! Above all, socialize and spend as much time with your girlie as possible! Introduce her to all of your friends (slowly) and slowly introduce her to other dogs. I'm sure you'll do very well.. as long as you give her plenty of love, affection, and exercise! Good luck. P.s. German Shepards make great 'Agility' dogs.. click here for info on agility for the future P.s.s. Please, please, unless your puppy is AKC reg'd with awesome bloodlines, take her into the vet within the next few months to be spayed. Pet over-population is a real and terrible thing!
    Archie <3

Rambunctious, rumbustious, delinquent dogs become angelic when sitting - Ian Dunbar

Mm.. sorry, I just had to point something out. Kai! Me and you said almost the same exact things! You know your stuff. btw, you've got the most adorable little guy! Sheltie's are great.
    Archie <3

I've also currently have a young GSD and grew up with a Sheperd. I will never own another breed. However, like someone said, German Sheperds can be a difficult breed for people unfamiliar with raising dogs. They are extremely intelligent and, as a result, know exactly what they can get away with. I highly suggest getting into a puppy kindergarten class and reading up on the breed and puppy-raising!!

Your pup will be a ton of work, but will be worth it!!

Re: ...

Thanks! Yea..I love my little sheltie. He's my first dog too! I've wanted one since I was 5..or possibly younger. I knew nothing about dog training till about 6 months ago...LOL now I want to become a prof. Dog trainer! LOL. How are gsd's btw? I've started to really admire the breed. They're so intelligent and they're looks are striking! And..since the spca's have quite a bit of gsd's and gsd mixes, it would make me happy to one day save a life and own a gsd. =] lol one day...

Originally posted by jigsawyouth
    Mm.. sorry, I just had to point something out. Kai! Me and you said almost the same exact things! You know your stuff. btw, you've got the most adorable little guy! Sheltie's are great.

Congratulations! I had a GSD named Petey and he really was the best dog ever. He was very easy to train and good with cats, kids and dogs. He came to our vet clinic as a four month old pup with hip dysplasia so bad one hip wasn't even in the socket. His future looked very grim. We did a salvage surgery on him and I kept him on the very lean side and he lived 6 years! he was a great dog. The only thing he ever did was when I would run, he'd nip me on the butt. Never anyone else, just me. lol
    ~Kat

How are gsd's btw? I've started to really admire the breed. They're so intelligent and they're looks are striking! And..since the spca's have quite a bit of gsd's and gsd mixes, it would make me happy to one day save a life and own a gsd. =] lol one day...

German Shepard's are awesome dogs! I think they'd be great for you, one day, if youre interested in profl. dog training. My older sister had our old GSD in obedience trials, competitively, and he did wonderfully! They have great recall, lots of smarts, usually very gentle and energetic. I love those dogs. And a GSD would probably make a great playmate for your little sheltie boy. I was definately considering adopting/rescuing a German Shepard to keep Archie company and to compete in agility. Check out your local German Shepard rescue or dog shelter, most of the dogs at breed rescues are already socialized and cared for and are usually rescued from the pound.. although, pound puppies are great too!
    Archie <3

I have a year old GSD and we do GSD rescue, so I always have at least two GSDs in the house. I love this breed.

Now, with that said, you have to remember that GSDs are a working breed. They have been bred to work! That's not to say they aren't wonderful pets, but your dog will be happiest if it is doing something. It will get into less trouble and will bond with you quicker.

I started training my dog the day I brought him home at 7 weeks old. They love to please! Get a good book on training anf work with your dog in small FUN sessions until he has enough shots to enroll in a puppy kindergarten. (Like many people have said, this is a great idea!)

The most common reason people surrender GSDs to rescue is that they haven't properly socialized and stimulated them. Once he has his shots, expose him to as many new things, people, dogs, and experiences as possible. My boy is a year old, like I said, and he is not fixed (he's a show dog). But even in the middle of adolesence and intact, I can trust him around other dogs because he was well socialized with a variety of dogs as a young dog. He loves toy dogs! (To play with - not eat )

I also find it important to set clear boundaries with your dog. You don't have to be mean, but decide what is acceptable behavior and what is not and stick with it.

Good luck!!!

Originally posted by ParNone
    Once your dog is 10 weeks old and has had their second round
    of shots, I would suggest a puppy kindergarten class for her.
    You work on the basic commands like "sit", "come", "down", etc.,
    but the main purpose is socialization. The more things and
    situations your dog is exposed to as a puppy, the more
    confident and well behaved dog you will have.

A few months ago I took my Collie puppy through a puppy
    class at Petsmart and it was the best thing I ever did. He
    was a bit of a nervous nelly about some things and the class
    really helped him get over his fear of new things. He's much
    more confident now and if he does have an initial "UhOh
    what's that?" reaction to something new now, he adjusts
    to it quicker and is more curious about investigating it.

Par...
    It's never to early to start training. Make sure the pup has all it's shots before you take the dog in a place where other dogs are and have been.

I would call your local SPCA or Humane Society for training though. They 1. are non-profit's rather than large corporations, focusing on saving the lives of animals rather than making a quick buck. Not to mention, both of these companies practices are questionable in the care of the animals they sell (animal cruelty is in question at both companies). and 2. This is the first time I've ever heard anybody say anything good about Petsmarts or PetCo's training programs.

"Never believe that a few caring people can't change the world. For, indeed, that's all who ever have."
    -Margaret Mead

Hi Brie,

My point wasn't to wait until 10 weeks to start training. My point was a puppy kindergarten class is really beneficial for socializing your puppy and from the places I looked at, you can't join one until after the dog has its second round of shots. My local SPCA doesn't offer a puppy class. I did look at a few places, but Petsmart happened to be the only one that fit into my timing and my main goal was socialization, not training at that point. And My goal of having a more confident puppy was achieved, so I give kudos to Petsmart. I'd pay'em the $89 again in a heart beat.

As for the actual training, I had a very positive experience at Petsmart, where that was concerned too. The class was small, so I got a lot of one on one with the trainer. She only taught positive reinforcement techniques, so I never found myself in conflict with what she wanted me to do with Oz. She also runs her own dogs in agility, of which I'm very interested. So I got lots of information from her about the local agility clubs. The only complaint I had was due to lack of space, because of it being held inside the store. Having a puppy as big as a Collie, this was an annoyance, but I was mainly there for socialization and the store was great for that, so the positives outweighed the negative.

For Basic Obedience, I did switch to a local training facility. I loved all the space to work in, but I was in conflict with some of their training ideas. I also didn't find the trainers as approachable as the one at Petsmart. Overall Petsmart was a more positive experience.

Bottomline, I've now got an 8 mo old Collie, who's confident, friendly with people and other dogs and is an absolute joy to have in my family. My local SPCA will never have to worry about him showing up on their doorstep. And just maybe that's more important than the fact that I used an evil corporation for a puppy class.

Let me finally add that my local SPCA contracts with Petsmart for using their store for weekend adoptions. hmmmm...

Par...

mickey learned to sit a day after we got him. i guess you could start taking him to classes when he is older and has his shots. good luck

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Originally posted by ParNone
    Hi Brie,

My point wasn't to wait until 10 weeks to start training. My point was a puppy kindergarten class is really beneficial for socializing your puppy and from the places I looked at, you can't join one until after the dog has its second round of shots.

Par...
    At the Vet Clinic that I work at we recommend That the puppy have all 4 sets of vaccines before you take him to training classes. In some breeds we recommend 5 sets of vaccines. The last set of puppy vaccs are at 16wks, rabies, 4th DA2Pl/Cv, 4th parvo, 2nd bordetello. Training begins when you bring the pup home. We do not recommend the early training classes at petsmart due to the pups not having all the vaccs. I have seen the class and think it is wonderful but due to some people bringing pets to petsmart with out vaccs I dont recommend it. I have seen to many sick puppies in Petsmart. With only the 2nd set of vaccs they still do not have enough immunity to diseases in their bodies. I do not take my dogs anywhere till they have had all vaccines. NO PUBLIC PLACES. The reason, sad to say, that not everybody has their pets vaccinated.