Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who's this little orange kitty??!!

Karen, I'm so glad that you're gaining the orange kitties trust. I'm also glad that he feels safe in your backyard and that you're able to care for him. I'd also love to see some pics of him. Please keep us updated. Good luck.

It's sometimes difficult to know whether you are dealing with strays or other peoples pets looking for a buffet dinner!

We have a large number of Feral Bahraini Dilmun cats in the housing complex where I live. There is another "cat lady" in the complex who also puts out food, so the cats tend to travel between the two.

Here are some of my current visitors:

Pugwash - could be my Ally's brother (she was rescued from my garden) - same markings and similar size, but only one eye due to a nasty fight. (We caught him, and he has been neutered and had the eye socket cleaned / closed up) Will allow me to stroke her head, but looks like she is only tolerating it 'cos I am next to the food. Looks like she has had a tough little life.

Patches - currently waiting to give birth at our SPCA - would whail outside until I went out and sat down, at which point she would climb into my lap for a few minutes cuddle before eating her food - I think she must be a lost / abandoned pet, as she is so affectionate. Relatively good fur etc considering she lives outside

Ginger - Gorgeous Orangie boy - always immaculate - allows me to pick him up - I think he is a pet from nearby who just prefers the menu at my place!

Magnum (looks like the inside of a caramel magnum icecream) - only has one eye (after Patches has had her kitties, he is next on the list to catch - we will have his eye seen to and also neuter him at the same time). Will not make contact, although he used to run a mile when the door opened, but now he stays within a foot of the food dish.

Lizzie - pitch black female with emerald eyes (hence the name - Lizzie looks like a young glam Liz Taylor). Will not be touched, and unfortunately loves to tease my indoor cat for hours by talking to he through the window!

This is the current line-up, although it changes all the time!

Thanks Kay for my great sig & avatar!!!
    Kissy 1993 (?) - 13 Oct 2005. Always in my heart.
    Ally Cat's Mommy

"It's a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher-Stowe.

update!

Ally cat's mommy, it sounds like you have quite a nice group of visitors there! Cats seem to know where they will be welcomed

Well, I've made some progress with little orange kitty, who now has many names! LOL My dad is partial to Sergei, I quite like Jonah and Elijah and Orion. Anyway, nobody has claimed him and he's staying in my backyard most of the time now. It's been rainy the past several days, so he's been going into Crookshanks' old house to keep dry.
    I've made progress with his trust and have even been able to pick him up! He's getting better about the biting thing, so I'm sure if I keep working with him and get him to have proper manners I may just be able to convince hubby to let me keep him! LOL Marius seems to be getting used to his presence, and the other day when I opened the back door to feed him, he came right through the door and head-butted Marius! It was so cute, and Marius didn't even seem phased! Scooter is still iffy, and hisses at him, but I'm sure in time he would get used to him too.
    I think I will be making an appointment for him at the vet's because if I am to even consider bringing him inside, I want to make sure he's not carrying any diseases that will infect my other babies.
    Will keep you posted!
    **hugs**
    Karen

I think it would be great if you could keep little orange kitty.
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

Need I actually SAY what I am thinking????!!!!!?????

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    Need I actually SAY what I am thinking????!!!!!?????
    LOL LOL

Oh Karen, I'm so happy things are going so well with your little orange kitty. Hopefully everything will check out at the vet and LOK (Little Orange Kitty) can come inside with you, Marius and Scooter.

However, it's kind of puzzling that your husband would allow LOK to become part of the household but he wouldn't allow Crookshanks in. I guess everything works out for the best and now Crookshanks has a wonderful home so you are free to bring LOK in.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

This is great news Karen. I sure hope that LOK is healthy and that you'll be able to keep him. Please keep us updated.

Originally posted by Tubby & Peanut's Mom
    However, it's kind of puzzling that your husband would allow LOK to become part of the household but he wouldn't allow Crookshanks in. I guess everything works out for the best and now Crookshanks has a wonderful home so you are free to bring LOK in.
    I know. I think it's because I was so upset about not being able to keep Crookshanks, that my hubby has had a change of heart. Especially since Crookshanks is such a great cat! However, she is in a great home, and I really think that Alaina and Dave really needed her and she needed them. I get to see her whenever I want, so that's a good thing!

Will keep you all posted on LOK's progress!!
    **hugs**
    Karen

Originally posted by wolflady
    I know. I think it's because I was so upset about not being able to keep Crookshanks, that my hubby has had a change of heart.
    That makes sense because now he can see that Crookshanks is a lovely (not just in looks) and is making a wonderful pet, so he has a little more faith in outside kitties.

I'm so glad things are working out for you.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Little Orange Kitty/Noah's baby brother/Jonah!!!! What a total doll! I can't wait to meet him!!! (Hmm.....maybe he can fit in my suitcase.....)

...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Originally posted by NoahsMommy
    Little Orange Kitty/Noah's baby brother/Jonah!!!! What a total doll! I can't wait to meet him!!! (Hmm.....maybe he can fit in my suitcase.....)

LOL LOL LOL
    My boys can't wait to meet their aunt Kelly! They send along purrs and headbumpies for the toys you gave them. They LOVE them! Especially that feather thingy!
    **hugs**
    Karen

Karen this is so exciting! I hope LOK gets the OK from the vet and is found to be a healthy little kitty. I love all of the names you are thinking about. I guess when you know he will be able to officially come inside to live is when you will have to decide on a name for good. Gosh, I just realized that if this adoption takes place you will have an orangie and a white kitty just like me. I guess I should start looking for a kitty that looks like Scooter. Oops - the dogs say NO, no more cats! LOL! Keep us posted and of course pictures are always welcome!

Originally posted by Pam
    Karen this is so exciting! I hope LOK gets the OK from the vet and is found to be a healthy little kitty. I love all of the names you are thinking about. I guess when you know he will be able to officially come inside to live is when you will have to decide on a name for good. Gosh, I just realized that if this adoption takes place you will have an orangie and a white kitty just like me. I guess I should start looking for a kitty that looks like Scooter. Oops - the dogs say NO, no more cats! LOL! Keep us posted and of course pictures are always welcome!
    LOL LOL That's right! We'll both have an orangie and white kitties! How funny!

I called and made an initial appointment for him for next Thursday at 6:30pm!! Since I haven't been happy with the vet I had been going too, I decided to try a different one. Hopefully I'll have more positive experiences at this new place. They said they would look over him and see how old he is, give him his first round of vaccinations and determine if he needs to be fixed. I really can't tell if he's fixed or not because of all the fur!

I'll keep you all updated! Hopefully I'll get a pic of him soon too

**hugs**

Back from the Vet's Office

Sergei (little orange kitty) is a "new man", so to speak! I took him to the vet last night for his 6:30 appointment. I left work early, because I didn't know how long it would take for me to get him in a cat carrier. I was able to coax him partially in with a piece of meat, and when he got about halfway in, I shoved his butt the rest of the way in and closed the door. I tell you what, he was NOT happy about this! He screamed and cried and tried to paw his way out. I've been making good progress with him lately, but after getting him into the carrier, his "wildness" came to life. So, needless to say, I decided to head over to the vet's a little early, with Sergei screaming all the way. So, I got there and told the receptionist that I had a stray cat, so I didn't know what to expect from him and that he may be a little "wild". They ended up taking him in the back and asked me if I wanted him neutered since he wasn't, so I said ok. I was surprised that they would do that, so I ended up just leaving him there overnight and I picked him up this morning. He was fixed, the vet estimated him to be around 2-3 years old. He got all of his shots: rabies, Feline Leukemia...etc.
    So now, Sergei is in our bathroom at home! I sure hope he doesn't tear anything up. I'm just still surprised that Aaron is being this open with him. He must have really felt guilty about not keeping Crookshanks! LOL So, we'll just see what happens. We put a litterbox in the bathroom and a water bowl, because they told us to keep him calm and confined, so the bathroom was the only place we could think of. I couldn't bear putting him back outside right after surgery. Poor little guy! Oh, he is 12 pounds! I'm surprised at that too, because he certainly doesn't look or feel like 12 pounds. He needs to gain some weight a little bit also.
    So, when we got home this morning, Aaron and I set up his stuff in the bathroom and then we opened his carrier door. He would not come out, until Aaron left the room. When it was just me in the room, he came right out and was purring and then he managed to glue himself to my leg, so I had to distract him before I could slip out of the room! Poor thing! I think he is going to be a work in progress. I hope he comes along quickly, because I honestly don't know how much patience Aaron will have for him....
    **hugs**
    Last edited by wolflady; 05-09-2003 at 01:19 PM.