Thread: Mopsy, an abused stray?

Mopsy, an abused stray?

Most of you are aware of my newest furkid, Mopsy, a very long- fur black kitty. She is getting more adjusted to living here with me and the other furkids every day, and the 3 major complainers are beginning to accept her. However I have noticed that everytime I pick up a broom or mop, something with a long handle on it, Mopsy always runs under the table or away, as if she is afraid of it I am wondering if she may have been beaten with such a long handle or stick? I have seldom seen a cat run from something as much as Mopsy runs from these types of things. Also, I wonder if she will outgrow the fear of poles and sticks?

.........wayne

Oh, how sad, Wayne! I sure hope she wasn't!!! Maybe in time she will learn that she can trust you with those things in hand! Good luck!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

We may never know for sure, but the possibility is horrible. You'll have to be aware of her when you use those items so she does not need to fear you. It is a shame what some people think is appropriate behavior.

Bastet has that same morbid fear Wayne - I rang the breeder and asked about if she was ever accidentally hit - she said she had to be *swept* out as as kitten into the breeders area from the house. I think thats may have what put the fear into bastet. SHe also has a fear of vacuum cleaners - not when they are on and not moving but only when I *sweep* with it.

I would try rewards with Mopsy. It has worked - with some success with Bastet. At least she will go near a mop or broom without too much hissing, spitting and fluffy tail syndrome!
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Wayne, it's sad if she has been abused, but I doubt that anyone would have succeded in actually hitting her - you know how fast cats are - but she may have been chased off with one of those - bad enough!

When we first got Fister up, we were tip toeing around, quite unneccerary as when we do that he gets suspicious. Even when the hoover comes out, he doesn't move until I'm a meter from him now, but he does look annoyed!

I'm glad to hear that she is settling in with the others so well, she'll be fully accepted in no time.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Poor Mopsy, what you are afraid for must be true!! Thanks for having eyes for this; Mopsy might grow over it by time, but that is not sure...! Give her a big hug from me!!!

My Max is deathly afraid of a broom or anything else long-handled and he was NOT an abused kitty at all! I've not worried about it, it's just one of his idiosyncrasies! We all have them.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

thanks, all for your input on this. Mopsy appears to be getting used to me using these impliments. Although it will take time. I have got her trained to sleep either on my bed or on the couch, which I consider progress. Mopsy is a slow-mannered cat and neither does she jump up on things,(like leaping through the air). She only gets up on things if she is tall enough to see what she is jumping into. Otherwise, she does not play with my other furkids, nor is she interested in toys. however, she is a very affectionate kitty, and gives me headbumpies and kitty kisses at times.

..........wayne

I found yesterday that Mopsy absolutely loooooooooves BBQd' chicken. In fact she likes it so much that she will brave all of the hisses and scrowls that come from my 3 protestors, in order to come into the kitchen and get some. ( I gave her some in the front room where she sleeps all day.) Normally, she will only eat when the others are finished and out of the way of their communal feeding tray. I can tell that she is afraid of Amy's scrowls because she will always be so cautious about heading past her. Actually, Amy is so tiny that her loud scrowl is all she has for self defence and I have yet to see her play or even attack any other cats.. Mopsy must appear to be a huge furkid to all of them because of her abundant fur. She is slowly getting over my picking up a broom because now she only gets ready to run under the table but actually not do it.

It is amazing how cats will reward you with extra affection when they realize that you have gone out of your way to please them.