Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attack by three rottwielers :(

Attack by three rottwielers :(

The RCMP and Crown prosecutors are considering charges in the case of a four-year-old boy who was mauled to death by three Rottweiler dogs in the backyard of his rural New Brunswick home.

Four-year-old James Waddell was killed earlier this month when he wandered into the yard by himself and was torn to pieces in an attack that has left investigators traumatized and bewildered by its ferocity.

Sgt.-Maj. Bob Gallup of the Hampton RCMP said police, prosecutors and the coroner met Wednesday to weigh the evidence in the case, but still have questions that need answers.

``It will take some more consultation,'' Gallup said. ``Hopefully, there will be a decision within the next week.''

Gallup said autopsies on the three dogs that did the killing and a fourth that was not part of the attack but was destroyed as well, have determined the animals were healthy and not suffering from rabies.

Gallup said none of the dogs was neutered. Two of the dogs involved in the attack were male, the third was a female and the fourth dog locked on a deck of the house was a female in heat.

``I feel that the fact the female was in heat played a part in the attack,'' Gallup said.

``It would more than likely raise the level of excitement in the animals and that could lead to this kind of pack mentality. One animal behaviourist called it the `avalanche effect' where they start feeding off their own energy and become progressively more aggressive.''

Gallup said the child's family is still in shock.

``They're having a tough time,'' he said.

The little boy died at the scene. His body was discovered by his father and a friend who were working in the basement when the attack happened in the backyard at the home on the Kingston Peninsula, near Saint John, N.B.

The three dogs involved in the attack belong to the father's friend, who was staying at the Waddell home after returning to New Brunswick from Alberta.

The fourth Rottweiler was owned by the Waddells.

Gallup would not say who police are considering charging, or the nature of the charges.

He said police and prosecutors have been studying other cases across North America. He said charges are common in dog attacks, but they depend on the evidence and the circumstances.

Gallup said police have received many calls from members of the public concerning the attack.

``We've had people calling and telling us the laws should be changed; people should be charged and people should be made accountable for the actions of their pets.

``Other people have called and said, `don't judge all dogs by one breed'.''

The attack has reignited debate over whether Canadian municipalities should limit powerful breeds like Rottweilers and pit bulls, which continue to make headlines because of bloody and sometimes deadly attacks.

Just days after the Waddell killing, a bulldog bit a five-year-old boy in Fredericton and seriously injured him.

The dog has been destroyed. The child is recovering in hospital.

Andy Wells, the mayor of St. John's, said this week he believes certain breeds such as Rottweilers and pit bulls, should be banned from the city.

Gallup said his research into dog attacks shows that all kinds of dogs have been involved in maulings and killings, including such family favourites as beagles and retrievers.

The police officer said he was shocked to discover that even a tiny Yorkshire terrier was once involved in a fatal attack. Gallup owns a Yorkshire terrier.

``It's very certain that you must be careful of your own family pet,'' he said.

``You might play with it, pull its ears, rub its tummy but one of these times blowing in its face might set it off and they might just become aggressive and bite.''

'Research into dog attacks shows that all kinds of dogs have been involved in maulings and killings, including such family favourites as beagles and retrievers.... even a tiny Yorkshire terrier was once involved in a fatal attack...' [Atlantic News] One golden rule remains constant: never leave a small child (or children) unsupervised with a dog, period. (even Pomeranians have attacked and killed children... )

Isn't that sad? i just came across this...they say that even the widely known family faves can do this, by why don't we hear about them attacking more than dogs like rottis and pitbulls? I hate it when this happens..
    I've been BOO'd!

My two lil' Cairn terriers love kids to the nth degree, but even
    them I wouldn't leave alone unsupervised with kids. Murph
    was outside playing with 3 family kids, all under the age of 5.
    I was in the kitchen, but 2 other adults were outside supervising.
    Somewhere in the play, the game turned to 3 screaming kids
    chasing Murph around the yard. I went outside to see how
    things were going and Murph made a beeline for me and jumped
    up on me for me to pick him up. It was obvious to me that he'd
    reached his limit, was exhausted of running, trying to keep out
    of their reach, but the other adults didn't even remotely
    realize he was in distress.

How much longer would he have gone before he'd have reached
    his breaking point or got cornered and felt the need to growl
    or snap to communicate to them? They weren't getting the
    message that he wanted to be left alone, by running and hiding
    behind stuff. I feel like any dog can bite, because us humans
    just are totally clueless about their body language and miss
    the communication.

Par...

How sad!!! There was a lady from the Milwaukee area got ripped up by two Rotties last summer.

There is a Rottie, Kane, at the local humane society. It is 115 pounds. It scared the c**p out of me!! Usually, I never get afraid of dogs...but this one did. It had a huge deep bone shaking bark that sent shivers down your spine. When you walked close to the run he was in, he'd lunge and the door bark, growl, and snap at you. I'm sure deep inside he is a real sweetie, but at first glance you couldn't tell. All he needs is some lovin'.

WAIT---- I just checked the website, his picture is not up there anymore, so he must have gotten adopted.
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

Cisco was not raised with childeren and I would never, ever leave him alone with a child of any age!! He is only a 5.5lb dog. Why would anyone not pay attention to where their 4yr. old was when several 100lb dogs are around?? Will never get it!
    Chihuahua Lover
    Don't Litter Spay&Neuter

How do I love thee? The ways are numberless as the hairs on the rug!

You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.
    We had a German Shepard when I was little and she loved children. But my mom would always put her in a pen when we had friends over because she was afraid that Gypsy would confuse our play with danger. If she thought for one moment someone was trying to hurt us, she would have done anything in her power to stop them.

Alot of the cases involving shepards and retrievers are because they are thinking that they were protecting thier owners. They mistake our body language sometimes and beileve they are hostile actions.

But in this case, it sounds like the dogs went back to pack instinct.
    And I agree with Cisco's Mom. That child was probably about 40 pounds at the most , so just one of them dogs is over twice his wieght! I honestly believe people don't watch their kids anymore!

I heard about this. It's so tragic and too sad

Mickey is great with kids but any animal should not be left unsupervised with a child, no matter how good or gentle a dog may be.

I feel so sorry for his family. Sending some positive thoughts to them.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Attack by three rottwielers :( RE:

Ok, but i have a question, for mickey(SAD sad story about those rotweilers.) Mickey What do you mean by children though? Like what age?(Should dogs not be left alone with)
    Unknown

Like what age?(Should dogs not be left alone with)
    I think they should only be left alone with large children, maybe 12 years or so, that are able to control the dog and by then understand a dog's body language and stuff...but this only applies to children who OWN the dog...I don't think that strange children should be left alone with a dog that isn't theirs, whether they are old enough or not...

I was always left alone with Leather, when I was little and now...
    It wasn't right when I was little, but I never thought of it then...She's a great dog though...She loves kids, but now that she's older, we have to be even more careful than usual, as she's becoming less patient...

They mistake our body language sometimes and beileve they are hostile actions.
    My dad used to pretend to beat me up lol..and Leather would freak She couldn't bite him, because he's her daddy, so she felt like she couldn't help me, so she would just bark her head off....then we would tell her she's a good girl for protecting me
    I've been BOO'd!

Re: Attack by three rottwielers :( RE:

Originally posted by Unknown
    Ok, but i have a question, for mickey(SAD sad story about those rotweilers.) Mickey What do you mean by children though? Like what age?(Should dogs not be left alone with)
    Do you mean me? Okay, in my opinion they should not be left alone with a dog until they are physically able to protect themselves. It varies.

wolfsoul - I know, my dad would playfully hit my sister and my mom's dog jumped on him and started barking and biting. He had to let her know they were joking around.

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

ban bad owners not breeds

"Gallup said his research into dog attacks shows that all kinds of dogs have been involved in maulings and killings, including such family favourites as beagles and retrievers.

The police officer said he was shocked to discover that even a tiny Yorkshire terrier was once involved in a fatal attack. Gallup owns a Yorkshire terrier."

THATS RIGHT. god. Im so sick of all this breed specific legislation, and bias and prejudice toward rotts and pit bulls! GRR. I wrote a paper for school 2 years ago about why breed specific legislation is useless so I know all about this crap. Something I found interesting that I learned while writing the paper is that there is no national reporting system for dog bites or national registry system for dogs by breed, so there is no way to arrive at comparisons of bite rates by breed. And it is estimated that only half of all dog bites are reported.

"Alot of the cases involving shepards and retrievers are because they are thinking that they were protecting thier owners. They mistake our body language sometimes and beileve they are hostile actions."

Yeah that is very true. Because a lot of people dont understand a dog's body language, esp children, this can cause a lot of problems. I mean terriers and toy breeds are notorius for having low tolerance, and/or getting frightened easier, like by kids esp, and they often snap. But compared to a rottie, a little toy dog bite is nothing, ya know? (even though they can do serious damage if provoked/threatened enough as was proved in that article).

But the main reaons pit bulls and rotties are so often involved in attacks is because theres too many people out there who aquire these dominant, powerful breeds either for the wrong reasons, (dog fighting, or protection) or from the wrong people, (people who dont breed for temperament, and or who abuse their dogs, or do dog fighting, puppy mills, etc), or both. And/or they dont know how to control and train and socialize them properly. Because they are so powerful, dominant, and naturally protective, if they arent shown from a very early age what is good and what is bad behaviour, AND who is in charge of the pack (you not them), then they can develop behavior problems that can be very dangerous because of their strength and size. And add bad breeding into that equation and its just a disaster waiting to happen. (I attached my essay in case anyone in interested lol) What should be done in place of BSL is make training and socializtion of dogs required!!!

And just on a side note.. does it sicken anyone else how they say the dogs were "destroyed"? Like they were a piece of trash. Makes me so angry how our society treats animals like property. Does no one realize these are living, breathing, thinking, FEELING beings? These are LIVES. Not just some object or posession. But anyhoo.. I wont go all animal rightsy here. Just found that sickening..

sorry that was so long, lol I have strong feelings on this issue! thanks for listening
    R.I.P. Pidge & Charlie <3

Margaret (the biped)
    Oliver & Sahkmet (the buns)
    Brock & Alki (the poops)
    Felix & Linus (the mews)

"A dog's mind is a terrible thing to waste."

"In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog." -Edward Hoagland

You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because you are all the same.
    I know how you feel veegan. My brother-in-law ran a rescue for pit bulls here in the area before he moved. It was so sad! Most of them were rescued from abusive homes and one was a female confiscated after the police shut down a dog fight ring. She was used to breed fight dogs. When they took her away, the owner said that he didn't care because she hadn't had any healtly puppies in a year! She died a week later from a hemmorage from her being overbred.

I have actually had the police called over here once. My dog is part ChowChow and even though she is in a pen and never gets out, someone called the law and told them I had a vicious dog. Apparently, she barked at someone who was walking down the road. I showed the officer the pen I had her in and I let him pet her. He said he was satisfied with the sitiuation and appoligized to me saying that he had to check it out.

Yipes! I'm ranting! I'll stop now. lol.

thats so sad

posted by wolfsoul: My dad used to pretend to beat me up lol..and Leather would freak She couldn't bite him, because he's her daddy, so she felt like she couldn't help me, so she would just bark her head off....then we would tell her she's a good girl for protecting me
    wow your dads got it good lol. Once my dad was tickling me soo hard I was crying cuz it hurt so bad and Tikeya freaked out because I was Screaming my head off. She attecked him with her teeth bearing and she bit the back of his neck and wouldent let go. It was scary. He never tickled me again lol
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Phoebe and Deisel just adore kids....and they have never ever hurt any child but I wouldn't leave them unattended........any dog can get to their breaking point...doesn't matter how big or small any dog can do damage to a 4yr old.

Why in the world would any parent leave their child unattended with any animal.......especially big dogs like rotties?
    People just don't get it!

As I own (or is owned by) a Rottweiler, Jack, I really hate hearing about those stories where the "vicious attack dogs" kill somebody. But not every Rottie is like that...in fact, I bet the majority are not like that at all.

Jack has never gone after anyone, bit anyone or ever given the notion that he would do anything like that. I feel that I am a responsible pet owner and would not do anything that would put him in an uncomfortable position. He's skiddish around kids, so guess what? He is not left alone with kids. Some people don't understand that concept.

I also feel that kids - and adults - need to be aware of how to approach and be around dogs in general, not just Rottweilers. They don't understand that you can't just run up to an unfamiliar dog and put your arms around it. Ask the owner for permission to pet the dog, no matter what kind of dog it is.

And, why don't we hear more about the other breeds of dogs that injure and kill people? Total discrimination against Rotties and Pit Bulls! (As you can tell I feel very strongly about this!!)
    - April
    Mom to Jack, Rottweiler,
    and Pinhead, cat.