Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick dog

Sick dog

I have a golden retriever named Brinkley. She is usually really well, but monday morning, early, she started to have diarrea. This morning she threw up and still has diarrea. I have had her to the vet and she has taken some endosorb which is supposed to cure diarrea, but she still has it. Anyone had a similar experience? Let me know!!!

Melody <><

My main concern would be that Brinkley might get dehydrated. Is she taking in enough water? You might withhold food for a while and just let her drink, then introduce food, slowly, using boiled hamburger and rice until she is better. I would follow the vet's instructions and keep in close touch with them if she isn't better by the end of today.

Good luck!! Give her a big Golden hug from me, please.

Logan

PS. Welcome to Pet Talk!!!

I was worried she might be dehydrated also. I would suggest lots of water. I hope she gets feeling better soon!

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

Thanks

I went to the vet and she is VERY hydrated so thats not the problem. We did, however, discuss that she has recently eaten a small beaded doili (sp?). I don't know if this is the reason but it could be a major factor in this whole hassle. She is only 7 months old and it seems as though there is ALWAYS something wrong with her!!! Are you a golden owner? Have you had any similar problems? Why the hamburger and rice diet for awhile? I have never heard of that. Thanks for the quick response.

Melody and poor sick Brinkley <><

Hamburger and rice is the best thing ever invented It's very bland and when dogs stomach's are upset it's the best thing for them. I hope Brinkley is feeling better soon. Keep us updated.

Welcome to Pet Talk
    Tanya, Hans, Fritz & Sparky

Most vet's prescribe a boiled hamburger or boiled chicken and rice diet when a dog has an upset stomach/diarrhea because the rice is very bland and binding and the boiled meat provides some protein and nutrients without a little fat. I would definitely follow Logan's advice, gradually feeding her small amts. with free watering. Brinkley is still a puppy and like most puppies, they get into and TRY to eat everything!! If she isn't getting better after a day or two, I think the vet might suggest an abdominal xray, just to make sure there's nothing in her that she swallowed and might be causing a problem. I'm not a Golden Mom, but Logan is Keep us informed on how she doing and a big hug to Brinkley! Get well soon, sweetie!

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

I do have Goldens, two of them, in fact, and love them dearly, so I completely understand your concern about Brinkley. We also have a yellow Lab, Murphy, who is older. I think Sandra answered the hamburger/rice question exactly the way I would, but I wouldn't rush anything until your vet adivises you to start feeding again.

Best of luck and lots of prayers to you and Brinkley.

Thanks

Thanks for all the help!!! It is amazing how many people reply to simple stuff like this. I went to the vet and I have some medication to give to her. One is in a tube it is some sort of brown paste, and the others are pills. She had her first doses this morning and, so far, no more diarrhea. Yay!!! Hope that all is well with all of you. Thanks for the support!!!

Melody and a Brinkley on the mend

welcome! i hope brinkly feels better soon

ps did u name her after the golden retriever, brinkley, on youve got mail?
    I've been BOO'd!

Re: Thanks

Sounds like her medication is working.
    Please keep us informed on her progress
    and welcome to Pet Talk.

----<---<--<{(@

Brinkley from "youve got mail"

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the first person that has made that connection!!!!!! Everyone else is like "Brinkley? What kind of a name is that?" And i have to go through my whole shpeel about the movie and they either haven't seen it or don't remember the dog. I knew as soon as I decided to buy a golden that I would name her Brinkley. I work at an animal hospital/kennel and I see dogs day after day with the same names. Lexie, Lacie, sam, cleo, dolly, suger, sweetie...and I didn't want one of those lovey dovey names....Nope...Brinkley is special and original. She is one of a kind, and so far no one else has chosen the name. I don't know why...it is beautiful. Thanks for noticing!!!! So now after Brinkley has passed on (hopefully not for 13-14 more years) I can always look back at the movie and remember my first dog. The other choices I danced around but never realy considered were...Riley, Raylynn, Bosley (charlies angels), and Emma. All very sparce in their usage. Thanks again for letting me know that someone has made the connection!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melody

Hi Melody!
    Welcome to Pet Talk!! Glad Brinkley's feeling better and we would love *hint, hint* to see some pictures of her when she's all better!

Re: Brinkley from "youve got mail"

Originally posted by Brinkley02
    YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are the first person that has made that connection!!!!!! Everyone else is like "Brinkley? What kind of a name is that?" And i have to go through my whole shpeel about the movie and they either haven't seen it or don't remember the dog. I knew as soon as I decided to buy a golden that I would name her Brinkley. I work at an animal hospital/kennel and I see dogs day after day with the same names. Lexie, Lacie, sam, cleo, dolly, suger, sweetie...and I didn't want one of those lovey dovey names....Nope...Brinkley is special and original. She is one of a kind, and so far no one else has chosen the name. I don't know why...it is beautiful. Thanks for noticing!!!! So now after Brinkley has passed on (hopefully not for 13-14 more years) I can always look back at the movie and remember my first dog. The other choices I danced around but never realy considered were...Riley, Raylynn, Bosley (charlies angels), and Emma. All very sparce in their usage. Thanks again for letting me know that someone has made the connection!!!!!!!!!!!!

Melody
    yay! I feel special now lol...I love that movie i think Brinkley is a great name
    Last edited by wolfsoul; 03-14-2003 at 08:14 PM.
    I've been BOO'd!

Poor Brinkley...hope she feels better ASAP!! Please keep us updated...and we'd love to see pictures if you have any.

p.s. I *love* "You've Got Mail"!!!!!!!!1

Melody,
    Sandra, Logan and Tanya are right about boiled chicken and rice. My vet also recommended that diet when my pups were sick.
    Having gone through the puppyhood of three Goldens, I know the little devils can get anything in their mouths and you always have to be two steps ahead of them to make sure they don't get in trouble.
    I'm glad to hear that Brinkley is doing better already. Hugs and belly rubs to her from another Golden mom.
    Welcome to Pet Talk!!!
    Alicia

"All men are created equal but none of them is equal to a dog." From the "Howard Huge" cartoon..