Thread: How to teach, lie down???

How to teach, lie down???

Hi again! Anyone got any tips on how to teach a dog to lie down? We've got sit and shake down pack! But when we try to do lie down it is just awkward... mainly b/c he won't lie down on his own.

We tell him to sit, which he does, then we bring the treat down and out on the floor in front of him (to get him to go down) but he just stands and follows the treat. I've even tried "helping" him down, but he just looks at me like "whatcha doin' Mommy..."

Any suggestions, or websites? Thanks!
    Gen

With my stubborn Shiba, the treat on the floor worked, but we had him in a sit first, and then while he was watching the treat, we lowered it to the floor--after giving us some of those same looks, we gently pulled his paws out and put him in a lie down position, and gave him the treat. He got it on the next try, and got praised and rewarded. He still won't lie down on command, but I know he is a stubborn little doggie, so I take what I can get
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

With my puppy cami she was pretty much easy with the lie down and the sit.. Still trying the Paw.. But how i taught her lie down was almost the same as LOVEMYSHIBA said. Well first what i did was have her sit. At the time she was learning sit so we gave her a treat. Then we would bring the treat down while kind of holding her back so she couldnt get up then she followed the treat down.. Then once she lays said good LAY DOWN.. And reward her..Or another way to do it is whenever you see her just lying down then tell her good laydown! And go crazy for her being such a good dog for lying down.. This is the way i taught my puppy how to do it.. She was learning very easy.. So if you have any other questions about it you can either go to search training your dog or just talk to me.. Lol..

Cool... I think I'll try the treat thing on the ground and hold his butt down this time!!! I'll be back to tell ya how we do.
    Gen

lol.. okay good luck...

mickey just recently learned lie down. even after wave lol, lie down is boring

we taught him by getting him in a sit position. then i would say "lie down" and take his arms and gently pull them down until he was lying. then i said "lie down" and gave him a treat. after a few practices he knew it right away. this might not be the right way but it got done here's infor from purinapuppychow.com

--Start with your puppy in the sit position. Then, using a treat or piece of food, lead your dog's nose down and out while giving the "down" command. Don't worry. With food in your hand, your puppy is sure to follow.

Repeat often. This command can come in very handy when your puppy is headed into a dangerous situation. --

good luck

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Thanks to all of y'alls great advice he can LAY!!! YAY!

He's such a smart boy! Now we are working on roll over... but he thinks we are playing when we roll him, so on to another fun lesson!!
    Gen