Thread: Akita TEMPERAMENT???

Akita TEMPERAMENT???

I want an Akita when I move out. I have a siberian husky allready. I went to several websites about the breed and this is some of the things I have found..

RECIPE FOR GOOD AKITA TEMPERAMENT

First and foremost, every dog, not just an Akita, should be bite inhibited.
    He should be so reluctant to bite, that he does so only under the direst of
    circumstances. Even then, he should bite only once, and damage from the
    bite should be very minimal.

Second, an Akita should be accepting of authority, that is he should be
    submissive. Between and within breeds, the degree of submissiveness
    varies. The Akita's independent nature may well modify its willingness to
    cooperate.

Third, an Akita should like children. Just as retrievers like sticks and balls,
    this breed should have an affinity for children.

Fourth, an Akita should be accepting of non-threatening strangers,
    regardless of whether the stranger is friendly or neutral.

Fifth, an Akita should have enough confidence to be at ease an unfamiliar
    setting.

Sixth, an Akita should be trainable. He should be willing and able to learn
    behaviors that he repeats reliably.

Seventh, an Akita should stable around strange noises.

Eighth, to some degree, an Akita should have an independent nature.

Ninth, an Akita should have an inhibited nature. He should not respond to
    stressful situations by becoming increasingly excited or agitated.

Tenth, faced with a threat, an Akita should be protective of their family.

Eleventh, an Akita should be accepting of other dogs.

I thought I'd Post this for ppl who are thinking about getting the breed. And are wondering about Their TEMPERAMENT !! ..

If their is anything anyonw would like to add I would greatly love it
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I don't have an Akita, but I have a Shiba, which is like a mini Akita. I have learned about both breeds, and what you have listed sounds great, but I know the Akitas take a lot of hard work to train. They can be stubborn, and you really have to have the patience to work with them. That said, they can be great dogs. KYS has 2 of them, maybe she will respond and help you out more.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

lovemyshiba is correct, Shiba is somewhat like a mini Akita accept an Akita weighs around 75-120 pounds.

I happen to love the breed and think they're a fantastic
    dog. I hope you end up with an AKita with a fantastic
    temperment who likes strange dogs.
    I pray you do not end up with one that is alpha/dog aggressive.

"RECIPE FOR GOOD AKITA TEMPERAMENT"
    That would be my perfect AKita temperment too.

Did you ever check out and contact the official Akita breed ACA web site, or the Akita Network e-mail list I posted for you, so you could "ask" questions to "hopefully reputable" breeders/trainers
    that have been in the breed awhile and get some
    good honest answers to your questions.
    Did you check out and ask questions to
    an Akita rescue, such as (barbara Bouyet) about the pro's and con's of this breed and why so many Akita's are in Akita rescues today?
    (I contacted AKita Rescue Barbara Bouyet and
    also a few reputable breeders to get honest answers
    to my many questions over 10 years ago before making my decision to get an Akita.)

Good luck on your research.
    Last edited by KYS; 03-09-2003 at 09:54 PM.

----<---<--<{(@

Did you ever check out and contact the official Akita breed ACA web site, or the Akita Network e-mail list I posted for you, so you could "ask" questions to "hopefully reputable" breeders/trainers
    yes I did and they were helpful thanks

i hav a jindo it is a korean dog!!

hey i hav a jindo, it is a female and it has 5 pups and it hates other dogs (it is her character). she will growl at the dog or maybe bite the other dog
    jindolover

[IMG]hey i hav a jindo, it is a female and it has 5 pups and it hates other dogs (it is her character). she will growl at the dog or maybe bite the other dog[/IMG]
    Welcome!

jindos are beautiful...ive never seen one in real life though i hope u have some pics!
    I've been BOO'd!

Jindos look alot like shiba inus

Are you SURE you want an Akita?
    They are wonderful, beautiful, gorgeous, smart dogs. But from what I have heard they are extremely stubborn and take some serious obedience classes. Are you willing to do that? Are you willing to give up your little critters that you have running around b/c 2 BIG dogs will be EXPENSIVE. What happens if they get into a fight? Are you going to have money saved up for 2 BIG dog vet bills?
    Are you willing to take 2 BIG dogs to the fenced in area in the park several times a week for exercise and socialization?
    I really worry about you getting a dog like the magnificent Akita, at your age. I know you are going to say "what does my age have to do with it?" But your age has A LOT to do with it. I wouldn't want to see someone AROUND your AGE, with alot of breeds of dogs, So no I am NOT singling you out.
    IF you are soooo set on GETTING a dog when you move out, try for a smaller mixed breed. Purebreds are expensive. And there are so many mixed breeds in shelters. I have a purebred but lemme tell you that if she wouldn't have been given to me, I would have rescued one and still feel guilty for NOT rescuing one from the shelter. Maybe someday.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Tikeyas_mom, you seem to have a hard time handling a siberian husky. I don't see how you are going to handle an akita.

Akitas are much larger then sibes. Akitas are dominant. Akitas are known to be dog aggressive. (not saying they *all* are, but it seems to be a problem with many of them)

They require a very firm owner, who knows how to handle them, like KYS. KYS has offered you plenty of valuable information, I hope you continue your research.

And maybe some Akitas do have the temperament like your "recipe" calls for, but as with any breed, each dog has an individual personalilty. They, like many other breeds, are absolutely gorgeous and amazing dogs, but not for everyone. Keep that in mind.

Originally posted by shais_mom
    I have a purebred but lemme tell you that if she wouldn't have been given to me, I would have rescued one and still feel guilty for NOT rescuing one from the shelter. Maybe someday.
    Don't feel guilty! You were given a dog... there's nothing wrong with that. And you saved Kylie from a VERY bad situation.. and Shai, you rescued her and gave her a beautiful life
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I have just bought an akita/rottweiller cross pup, female, she's now 13 weeks old. She does seem to be fairly dominant but with the right training and obedience she'll be fine. She plays aggressively with our cats but we've (my fiance and I) kept a close eye on her and gets discipline accordingly. A short firm tug on her collar and a "NO" does wonders. We had a problem with her nipping and after 10 minutes of this training (which we saw on a tv show) she was very hesitant to do it ...

BS ...
    Treat em nice and they're yours for LIFE ...

I don't have a jindo pic

hey i have a jindo and they are soo beutiful hair color, i have a jindo and it is a female and she had a litter of 5 or 6 or or maybe 7, but i do not know how much pups she gave birth to. all i do know is that she gave birth to 5. I am adopting this dog and i am going to be the dogs's owner and master! But i am EXTREMELY SORRY that i do not have any pictures 4 u guys to c!
    jindolover

Please check out akita rescue not necessarily for an akita but for information.They are a wonderful , beautiful dog but they do take consistency as any dog but they are smart and may take a bit more.I would say a firm hand but I do not agree with the impression that gives.I do not like harsh training methods it frequently makes dogs aggressive or fearful.I lost a wonderful akita in sept. at almost 11 due to a brain tumor.She was wonderful and gentle however that does not mean people didn't need proper introductions.She was an extreamly mild tempered akita, her brother is still with my friend and is wonderful but he definately needs introductions and because he has parents that are wonderful with him and the breed things go beautifully and he is a wonderful, happy akita but they are powerful and without proper training and supervision a lot of damage can be done, that is not to say my shiba inu can not do a great deal herself but she is much smaller.Breeds are so different and all can be wonderful in the right hands but it is very , very important that you research a breed (as you are) and get a breed that is right for you and your lifestyle not just cute or what you think you want.Look at grooming needs,shedding-akita's blow coats about 2x a year it can be a mess, activity level of you and the dog need to match.Obedience training is also a must for all dogs in my opinion.Not only is it great socialization but it really keeps us on track with working with our dogs as well as learning new techniques.Research trainers too a good trainer will work wonders with you to work with your dog.Positive training is the way to go and there are many great methods out there like praise-a must-, treats and toys can help and clicker training can be wonderful.It is fun for you and the dog as well as neccessary.Reputable breeders are also an excellent source of info. they will tell you the good and bad because they want a forever home for their babies and they care plus you want a healthy dog.Sorry this is so long.

my baby chubby is a sweeeeet heart!!!

akita x boxer...but has the total boxer personality... they are great dogs.
    He's my best friend...
    always lovin till the end...
    he was rescued from abuse...
    those stupid, stupid fools
    passed on a chance...
    i guess i should say thanks
    cuz they gave that to me...
    god, my Chubby is so sweet!