Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pics of my hedgie!

Do they sell hedgehogs in the petshops in the USA?

It is illegal here in the UK to do such a thing. Same as squirrels and badgers.

That's just too cute for words!!! I had the opportunity to hold a hedgie once - very prickly. How does it feel in the bath??
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Originally posted by Heather Wallace
    Do they sell hedgehogs in the petshops in the USA?

It is illegal here in the UK to do such a thing. Same as squirrels and badgers.

Yes we have a lot of hedgies here, they have been bred for pets for a long time and there are tons of colors and mutations.

The kind we have are African Pygmies, not Euros. European hedgehogs are endangered and wild where you are from, so that is why they are not allowed as pets. They used to be bred on a small scale for pets a long time ago but not for a VERY long time. There are some in zoos and private collections though.

You can have african pygmies with permit in the UK I believe. We too cannot have badgers or certain types of quirrels. We do have flying squirrels which are common, and tri colored and Richardsons ground squirrels, but they are not wild, they are captive bred. All the squirrels native to my state are not allowed to be kept in captivity, unless you are rehabbing them. They are too active, I could never see having one as a pet. A glider maybe but not a regular squirrel.

Slick: He is very comfortable in the bath, and just plain tame. He hardly rolls up which is a good thing. Yes they are VERY prickly! I have been stuck with his spines quite a few times, but it's something you learn to tolerate, and if the hedgies tame it's not a problem.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Our hedgies in lab died during one of the breaks and so i never really got to spend much time wiht them, one of my old best friends used to have one as a pet though.
    RIP Clifford

He is very, very cute. I don't know much about them but have been tempted. Are they are to care for? What do they eat?
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

aww cute pics....
    many many moons ago I had 2hedghogs they where really cool,Rosie was the mean one,and Pokie was the sweet one....
    -Kay
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

Thanks for the information, very interesting.

The pictures are sooooo cute!

Actually I believe in SOME places you can own badgers. South Carolina for example has absolutly no laws on pet ownership which means yes their may be laws against importing and exporting but you can own any animal and I think you don't even need a permit!

-Rachel
    *Monkeys are my best friend. Maybe not my husbands but mine*

Yes in some places you can own anything, but here in my state they are prohibited. But want to know something weird, we can have whales and dolphins as pets here! Now who the hell is going to have a pet whale! Hello!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Geez first you gotta build a BIG tank then you have to buy like hundreds of thousands of fish MONTHLY. Where do you live? State I mean

-Rachel

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Richardsons ground squirrels, but they are not wild, they are captive bred.
    Sorry Luckies, but you are wrong...Richardson's Ground Squirrels are wild. See....

Actually I believe in SOME places you can own badgers
    Can't here in Wisconsin ...since they are our state animal.

Wisconsin is extremely strict when it comes to exotics (i.e. turtles, snakes, amphibians), mainly because there are so many endangered/threatened speices here. You have to have a permit to own a turtle!!!
    LAURA {Human}, FRANNY {Boxer}, PEANUT, BUSTER, & NIBBLES {Rabbits}

Thanks Roxyluvsme13!

"The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horses' ears"- Arabian Proverb

awww....i want one too! they're sooooo cute!
    - - Tiffany && Blueberry - -

luckies4me -"Yes in some places you can own anything, but here in my state they are prohibited. But want to know something weird, we can have whales and dolphins as pets here! Now who the hell is going to have a pet whale! Hello! "

monkeyluver -"Geez first you gotta build a BIG tank then you have to buy like hundreds of thousands of fish MONTHLY. Where do you live? State I mean "
    zactly,no one could afford one so they dont gotta worry bout sum one getting a whale or dolphin,so they say you could have one knowing the people more than likly couldnt afford one...
    just a guess~
    ~Kay&Chewy~

FCA(Future Cledus's of America)
    FTC(Future Twister Chaser)
    FCR(Frer. Critter Ranch)
    FFA(Future Farmers of America)

Well I wasn't worrying because I KNOW no one will privetly own a marine mammel. Well you can if you want all your $$$ to go down the toilet. I was reading a book about weird laws and in texas it's illegal to tie a alligator to a fire hydrent!?!?

-Rachel

Originally posted by luckies4me
    Yes in some places you can own anything, but here in my state they are prohibited. But want to know something weird, we can have whales and dolphins as pets here! Now who the hell is going to have a pet whale! Hello!
    OMG I WANT A DOLPHIN! COOL! lol I lloooovvvee dolphins but i dont think people should keep them as pets!