Thread: humane society

humane society

the other day I ALMOST cat another cat!!
    I was at petsmart with my mom and she went over to look at the cats, and like a dummy I went with her...I just can't go look at them , I hate seeing them in the cages! there was one that could have been Cassie's twin! and she acted just like her too!
    I held her, and then the lady there held her and walked her around by the other cats, she didn't hiss, I told the lady I had to think about it...but I was weakening! even though I know it is not fair to bring another cat into the house right now, these cats have just adjusted, I mean last year was really crazy, anyway then my mom told me the cat might have a disease, well that did it, I didn't get the cat! things are going fairly smooth right now and I was not about to have a bunch of sick cats again!
    it makes me sad though because it was LIKE leaving Cassie there, but that cat will be adopted quick, she is so friendly and playful!
    I didn't know that all torties are females?
    anyway the thing that bugs me about the humane society is that they put cats there for adoption, but they are not spayed yet, so you have to go pick them up the next day!! WHY don't they spay them first so you can take them right home, because I just might have then(before my mother said that) the thing that made me walk away and have to think about it was having to go so far to go get her, like with Cassie. its an inconvienece, and they would have more pets adopted out I bet, if they did it differently!
    Last edited by marysmerrycats; 03-09-2003 at 12:55 PM.

I bet they do that so you have to go see all the other cats??

I saw a ad for the humane society yesterday on tv, they are overcrwded with cats..I know what that means!
    the one I saw was about 10 months old, so hopefully she will get a home soon.
    Last edited by marysmerrycats; 03-09-2003 at 12:57 PM.

Humane societies, unlike the other types of shelters (and I can only speak for my own geographical area) Usually want to give the prospective applicant time to think about the committment they are about to make. The 24 hour waiting period is to cull out the impulse buys (so to speak). There are a lot of people who will take home the cute kitty without REALLY thinking about it, you know, as a lifelong committment. So 24 hours gives them time to think about it and back out if they are not truely ready for cat ownership. Also, if you can't be a little inconvienienced by a trip to pick up your new family member, how serious can you be (and I do not mean YOU, Mary, I just mean people in general)
    I also find that the humane sociaties (again, vs. the other types of shelters) are not committed to DOING the neutering themselves. They require it, and most likely insist on a refundable deposit until supplied with proof of it, but it's the OTHER shelters who tend to JUST DO IT !!! I guess it's a money issue.

I think that maybe the Vets would rather do that operation , as they can get more money thn if they do the operation for the shelter. The problem is those people who will adopt from the Shelter , then dont have the animal fixed. I agree that all animals should be fixed before they are adopted , thus breaking the chain of unwanted little ones.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

well they will not let you take the cat til it is spayed/neutered by them. and yes you are right Jen, but it is so far, anyway the whole situation is just so sad, the ad I saw on tv, the lady from the humane society said this problem can not be adopted away, it can only become less of a overpopulation by spaying and neutering. there are not enough homes for the cats to be adopted to!
    it makes me so sad. I wish people would get a CLUE! even if my cats were not spayed or neutered before I got them, I WOULD have had them fixed.
    Jen you are also right about the types of shelters, when I adopted Charlie and Patches, at only 8 weeks old, they were already fixed! (hermitage)
    well tomorrow I plan on calling the humane society and a few other shelters and see what I can do to help spread the word about getting them fixed.
    I would hope that vets around the country tell the owneres of pets that it is something that should be done!
    I just can't believe how many people that still don't have a clue!

Originally posted by marysmerrycats
    well they will not let you take the cat til it is spayed/neutered by them.
    Well, that sounds like they do not wish to spend the money on a cat (to have it neutered) UNLESS it is going to get a home. Afraid that they will get it neutered and then end up putting it to sleep. Don't know if I like that, but I can understand it. Assuming this is true, it WOULD be a waste to use scarce funds to neuter if they plan to kill it any way. I guess the questions is, are we talking about a kill or a no-kill shelter?
    We have, what I concider, quite a few shelters in our area. Each with their own little set of rules. And whether they are right or not, whether I agree with them or not, I do believe that the people in charge DO have the animals' best interests at heart. I just choose who to do business with and who I would stay away from, that's all.
    Bottome line is, though, that the people who need education on spaying and neutering, will never get it.

Bottome line is, though, that the people who need education on spaying and neutering, will never get it.
    unfortunately, you are right
    it's hard to decide, if I go to the humane society I feel like I am maybe, probably, saving a cats life, because they do kill them but if I go to the other, no-kill shelters, I feel better that the others at least won't be killed. I also feel bad at the humane society, because I know the cats not chosen will probably not live, unless they are kittens...the whole thing just makes me want to cry.

I know I , most likely, saved Callie's life, I'm not trying to sound like I'm bragging or anything, I just think she would not have been adopted, when I saw her and the paper said she was 3 and had litterbox problems, I don't know I just had to have her. she is the cutest thing now that she is living with just Muffin, she is really precious to me! and Cassie probably would have been adopted, with her personality. but I couldn't put her down once I held her, it was hard waiting even the one day!

Not sure where you are but in New Westminster the kitty sees the vet and gets tested for known diseases including Aids. Then the kitty is spayed/neutered and either given to the shelter or to a foster home. By the time they reach Petsmart they are ready to go! Those who wish to adopt our kittens receive a certificate so either way, the adoption fee includes spay/neuter. We also have the prospective parent to sign an agreement that if ever they decide the kitty is not a good fit, they must return kitty to us rather than it give away. The Royal City Humane Society is no-kill so if a kitty can't find a forever home he/she lives out a natural life in a foster home. Fortunately, this rarely happens.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I've worked for two humane societies, one who did same day adoptions and the one I'm at now doesn't do same day adoptions. I really disagree with allowing the people to take them home the same day. I think its important to think about it. We get so many returns that I think if people would sleep on it, then they won't make the snap decision. So often we take multiple applications on animals that aren't spayed or neutered yet and we'll never hear back from the people. They very often change their minds. Its easier on the kitties and doggies if they are going home to people willing to make the committment.

(BTW at BOTH of the humane societies here, no animal goes out the door without being spayed or neutered first. We do them all at the shelter).
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

yes you are right, it's better for the people to think about it. I would not need to, but I know there are alot of people that change their mind.
    I can't say I have not had moments where I thought oh why did I bring her/him, home? but it only lasts a second, and 99 1/2% of the time I am so happy I have them! I don't know what I would do without them

The Humane Society we volunteer at DOES NOT euthanize the animals there unless they viciously attack or have an incurable disease. That is why we volunteer there. Our shelter DOES do same day adoptions...hence Olivia and Oliver. I do agree that sometimes, people really need to wait. ALL animals at the shelter can NOT go home until they are fixed and have all their shots. I know its "hard" for someone to have to come back...but why should an un-fixed cat be held back from playing and socializing with other cats? They shouldn't.

We were in the outdoor run on Saturday and a middle aged couple and their older teen son came by to look at cats. They had an eight year old cat that they wanted to get a friend for. I explained that a male kitten would be best it their case considering their male at home had been an only cat for his entire life. I was happy they decided to come back when they had kittens available.

The cat I bonded with from day 1 was Fluffy. She "didn't like other cats or people" when I first met her. After a lot of love and attention, a small girl adopted her because she felt bad people only adopted kittens. Isn't that wonderful?

I thought everyone could use a few good shelter stories.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Marysmerrycats,

Not all torties are female. Once in a great while, a male tortie will pop up. I rescued a tortie kitten about 2 years ago. I named her Hannah Mae. The vet told me to change the name cuz it was a male I ended up naming him Eli (no, not MY Eli). He got adopted and has a wonderful home with lots of fur friends.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!