Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What color should I get???

Originally posted by popcornbird

Remember, you are buying a tiel, not a parakeet, not a lovebird, not a rat, not a hamster. A COCKATIEL.
    So? That doesn't mean they are a better pet then a parakeet, lovebird, rat, hamster or any other animal.

tiki was $900 and NO that is NOT rediculous. its a bird!
    jewels was $1200

jordan was $500, but we got him 12 years ago when prices were a lot lower
    WOW Jessica12345, you are one spoiled kid!!!

Somewhere in this thread we lost track of whats
    REALLY important...and that's certainly not what the pet cost.

Smokey was $50
    Reggie was free
    Nebo was $300

Does that make any one of them a better dog then the other? No. BUT, in the same sense, if you pay more, you are most likely getting a dog that is healthier/less problems. Not always the case though.

I agree that you'd most likely get a more healthy/tame bird for a higher price, and that *should* be important.

If you were to sell teil I think you wouldent get much buisness. I would personally never but a teil or any pet for 200$ that is rediculas(sp?) .. I got my dog for $150.00 and she is pure bred.
    I'm sure she would get business. Just not from people like you.

P.S. I don't care if birds are more expensive/live longer, I'll take dogs any day!

Originally posted by wolf_Q

So? That doesn't mean they are a better pet then a parakeet, lovebird, rat, hamster or any other animal.
    I'm pretty sure we're just saying that a cockatiel is not more important, or better than a parakeet, lovebird, rat, hamster etc, but they are more of a commitment, seeing as their lifespan can be up to thirty years.
    And chances are if a person is selling a bird for a very low, not discount but absolute bargain price (ie $30 for a cockatiel) then they're probably less concerned with the health and happiness of the birds they sell than the amount. Kind of the equivalent of a puppy mill.
    I don't mean to speak for Popcornbird and Jessica, but in their defence I don't think they were talking about price in terms defining an animal's worth...more about looking very carefully at 'bargains' where animals are concerned.
    You can't be too careful when you don't want to keep profit breeders in business. I think they were just pointing out that it's a characteristic of these kind of breeders to sell for a very low price.

I'm sure she would get business. Just not from people like you.

P.S. I don't care if birds are more expensive/live longer, I'll take dogs any day!
    I love dogs too! I volunteer at my local dog shelter, cleaning out their pens, not because I like cleaning up poop , but because I love to see the dogs and pet them and hope I'm making a difference. The only reason I don't have a dog is because I'm not allowed one. But birds are great too, and they're real little personalities and they can be just as great companions as dogs!
    Last edited by zanzanfergie; 03-09-2003 at 03:41 AM.

Zan, you are SO lucky you have parrots instead of sparrows in your yard! LUCKY!!!!! I've heard of gallahs but I've never seen them, nor have a clue of what they look like. Do wild tiels, keets, and cockatoos also fly around in your area? I know they are native to Australia. Are the wild ones only in the forest or in cities like we have sparrows, doves, and pigeons flying around here in North America?
    These are what galahs look like:

They're really noisy little critters, and since our house backs onto a school oval lined with eucalypts they roost there and chatter to each other at sunset and dawn.
    But no, I've never seen wild cockatiels or budgies. We do get rainbow lorikeets in a lot, though, and they're sweet. If you have a bird bath in your backyard you can teach them to be quite tame, I've heard, but I've never tried it. And we get cockatoos flying over too! Boy can they make a racket! Have you ever heard one? They have this throaty, deep call. It sounds kinda cool when they're flying around and in the bush, but I don't know if I could cope with one for a pet!
    But asides from that we just get basically what you get - sparrows, pigeons etc. We get them especially in our backyard since I have guinea pigs who spread a lot of seeds over the lawn, and they have like a communal feed there every day
    And no, I don't live in the outback...I live in a suburb about thirty minutes from the city. It's pretty cool the birds we get around here. Although we don't get any like the wedge tailed eagle or anything...no way would they be hanging in the 'burbs

omg there is always galah (rose breasted cockatoo) in pet shops around here and they are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo gorgeous. but for some reason i seem to like the medium sized birdys like tiki or the teils or the conures the best

OK well lets get back to the point of this thread. Good luck on finding a bird just for you and becareful who you buy and who from

lol jess..yes..lets

zanzan - you work at a shelter? i really wanna help out! how old are you? and you are SO lucky you get those gorgeous birds in your yard. i get stupid pidgeons that fly in and leave feathers in my yard

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

lol

i cant beleive you get cockatoos and stuff in your yard still. The galas are ALL over the pet shops, but they would be so gorgeous in the wild!

Actually, there are birds that sell for over $10,000 as well.
    10000?! i wouldnt buy anything for 10, 000 dollars...
    I've been BOO'd!

zanzan - you work at a shelter? i really wanna help out! how old are you? and you are SO lucky you get those gorgeous birds in your yard. i get stupid pidgeons that fly in and leave feathers in my yard
    posted by primabellas mom

I love pidgeons, they are so beautiful. I love the robins that fly into my yard and MY favoret wild bird in my area is the black crow. I love them they are soo beautiful. We only had 1 pideon here in my area befor it was a homeing pidgoen and kids killed it by throwing rocks at it .. SOO sad..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

ooo!

Originally posted by zanzanfergie

And chances are if a person is selling a bird for a very low, not discount but absolute bargain price (ie $30 for a cockatiel) then they're probably less concerned with the health and happiness of the birds they sell than the amount. Kind of the equivalent of a puppy mill.
    I don't mean to speak for Popcornbird and Jessica, but in their defence I don't think they were talking about price in terms defining an animal's worth...more about looking very carefully at 'bargains' where animals are concerned.
    You can't be too careful when you don't want to keep profit breeders in business. I think they were just pointing out that it's a characteristic of these kind of breeders to sell for a very low price.
    Yes, and I agree with that...and I know some people in here were saying that, but it seemed that others were just a bit confused...

Oh, and I really like birds too. I think they'd be awesome to have for a pet. I've never been allowed to have any other animal besides dogs (and a few fish many years ago) though. I'm definitely a dog person though!

Well I am gunna get my next cockateil from the breeder for $30.00 . I can afford that I cannot afford like $160.00 .. Who can? Geeze I am 16 years old. I went in for an interview yesterday for a job. I'll be lucky if I get that let alone be able to pay for a bird that coast like 100+$. That is redicuals. Totaly pets Birds coast $100 + and they are totally terrified of pppl and they arnt tame . So I dont get what you are saying that " birds that coast more are more freindly and tame" ??? Ya right. The bird @ the breeder I know have like 50 cockatiels and they are Cheep, and they are happy. .. Not all breeders that sell animals for cheep are evil
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    posted by primabellas mom

I love pidgeons, they are so beautiful. I love the robins that fly into my yard and MY favoret wild bird in my area is the black crow. I love them they are soo beautiful. We only had 1 pideon here in my area befor it was a homeing pidgoen and kids killed it by throwing rocks at it .. SOO sad..
    the pigeons we get are gray and i see them everyday. they're not very nice to look at. when i see a robin, then i get all like hehe

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

i was just saying be careful and its really not at all rediculous to get a bird above $100

Originally posted by primabella

lol I know, although i love pigeon's funny little bobble walk.
    I think they're funny birds And they're pretty gentle. Once we went to Times Square in London...gawd, there are hundreds there, it's not even funny...and they land on you and everything! But the ground's pretty disgusting ugh
    Yes, I work at my local RSPCA (I think you call it SPCA?). Hopefully next year I'll be able to help out in the clinic, but for now I'm happy working with the dogs. It's pretty sad (the fact that so many dogs will never find a new home), but I like doing it, and I like being with the dogs. And I'm fifteen...I called up to volunteer when I was twelve and they were like "um...call back when you're fifteen sweetie"
    Last edited by zanzanfergie; 03-09-2003 at 04:27 PM.

Yes, and I agree with that...and I know some people in here were saying that, but it seemed that others were just a bit confused...

Oh, and I really like birds too. I think they'd be awesome to have for a pet. I've never been allowed to have any other animal besides dogs (and a few fish many years ago) though. I'm definitely a dog person though!
    Yeah, this topic was getting pretty confusing. By the by, I think Nebo is just gorgeous, and my all time favourite thread of him is the "What is cool?" one...lol, "Letting Reggie wear your doggles?" it still makes me laugh
    You're very lucky to be allowed dogs! I've been begging for years, and reached a lot of 'compromises' with my parents (guinea pigs, mice, rabbits, birds, fish, ferrets etc) but I'm going to have to wait till I move out in about five years or so before I can finally get my first baby pooch! And if you were wondering, no, I'm not getting a $500 pure bred...I'm going to adopt a shelter mutt ...the one that needs a home most.

Why live with birdies? There's danger you know,
    Can't adopt just one, the craving will grow.
    There's no doubt they're addictive, wherein lies the danger,
    While living with lots, you'll grow poorer (and stranger?)

Is it worth it you wonder? Are you caught in a trap?
    Then your bird pals fly over, and into your lap.
    Their sqwarks say your special, and you know that you will,
    Keep all your birdies, in spite of the bill.