Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What color should I get???

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    I went to toal pet today wolfsoul and there cockatiels are like 120 or something bucks .. Yikes
    eep! r u sure? they r supposed to be forty dollars...not like thats not expensive lol...did u try petcetera?
    that would have been funny if i went to total pet and saw u and didnt even know it lol....mines the house that lives right behind it
    I've been BOO'd!

were you there today?? lol that would beee sooo funny if we just missed each other lol.. LMAO!!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

were you there today?? lol that would beee sooo funny if we just missed each other lol.. LMAO!!
    i didnt go today, but i go almost every other day lol...today i was desperatly trying to clean my entire room...we had ppl coming over to look at our house, so ya know...and then i had to babysit and uggh it was a hectic day heehee
    I've been BOO'd!

check your emails..

My favorites are pearls and latinos, although PCB I do have to point out that the "albino" you pictured is not a true albino, that's a BEW. True Albinos will have pink eyes. We used to breed tiels and man you wouldn't believe the color combinations we got! Amazing little fellas!

As far as the greys being nicer, in my experience having lived with tiels ALL my life, well since I was 5 lol, I have noticed that latinos seem to be more aloof, as well as skittish, whereas the pearls are the most happiess of all. Now this is just my experience with these birds, not a fact!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

If you were to sell teil I think you wouldent get much buisness. I would personally never but a teil or any pet for 200$ that is rediculas(sp?) .. I got my dog for $150.00 and she is pure bred.
    I just think that 60$ for a bird is kinda silly. @ lest I know that I would never be able to buy one if they were all 100-200 $... how much did you get your birds for ?? I got Cheeko for free. I also got Spanky for 10.00$. And even though they are cheep they are still great pets exna the fact that cheeko bites and hisses at everyone.. lol

Birds are more expensive than other pets (dogs/cats). Not cockatiels, but birds in general. Macaws are usually priced at $3000-$4000. Everyone sells their tiels here for $100 + and they all make good business. The ones that sell them cheap don't! They have their birds for months without selling. I don't know the price of cockatiels in your area, but they are $100 + here, and $70 if you're lucky and get them on sale.
    Here birds are not more exspensive then other pets. I live in B.C. Canada if that helps. Some pet stores over charge I think. For instance today I went to total pet and they has 3 grey cockatiels and they were all like $160.00 . And I could find a cockatiel for like less then half that price.

Macaws are aroung 300$ here as well as Cockatoos..

The price range in pet stores here is 100+ as well. I would and never have bought a teil and I dont plan on paying more for the bird then I did for the cage and other stuff.

I have a HUGE cage with a stand that my mom found for sale for $50.00 and the man bought it for like $200.00 ..We got a major deal on it. I will take the bird for a vet check and crap. But I dont think the breeder will let me take the bird without paying ..

tiki was $900 and NO that is NOT rediculous. its a bird!

jewels was $1200

jordan was $500, but we got him 12 years ago when prices were a lot lower

i agree with tikeyas_mom, that birds here are cheap compared to alot of animals...at total pet, the dogs can be expensive...small dogs are sold for between 300 and 400 dollars, and large purebred dogs are between 100 and 200 dollars....large mutt dogs are between 40 and 100 dollars...but their rodents are really cheap compared to petcetera...but thats cuz total pet sells their rodents as snake food
    and u said that the macaws there are about 3000-4000 dollars?! they had a macaw named bentley at total pet one time, and he was sold for 1000...he was originally 1500 though but he was at the petshop for a couple years
    I've been BOO'd!

check your emails..
    way ahead of you lol
    I've been BOO'd!

My first ever tiel was a lutino, named Charlie. I got him for my tenth birthday

He was a little clown, too, Popcornbird, so it may be a lutino thing! He was the happiest, friendliest little bird and i'd rush home after school to take him out of his cage and he'd be waiting by the door of his cage, whistling and bobbing up and down. Anyway, the point of this story is that it really is difficult to tell a cockatiel's sex, because when I was thirteen Charlie died laying her very first egg. She never gave us any reason to think she was a girl - she whistled and acted clownish and hypo, just like a little boy.
    And regarding price, we paid $AU90 for Lachie, which is about $45 American. But tiels are native to Australia, so I guess that makes a difference.
    Congratulations Tikeya's Mom, too! It looks like we're getting a whole new generation of tiels here at Pet Talk!

your tiel look just like my Cheeko

The owner of the store I work at has two breeding pairs of Hyacinth Macaws. The young ones all sell for at LEAST $8,000.

$120 is a good price for a Tiel. I'm with Popcornbird....If there was someone selling Tiels for $40 I wouldn't buy from them, for fear that I was buying a vet bill with wings. So many people come into the store all ready to buy a bird and then balk at the price of the bird, or the cage.

"What do you MEAN the cages are over $100? Do you have any for under $30?" NO!!

Thank you Wolf_Q!

I love cockatiels so much. I've been close to getting one or two several times. I think I decided to wait until I have a house though so I can safely keep my kitty cat seperated from them at all times. I don't think she'd hurt them, but I don't want to find out!

I was in the pet store for cat food today and went in to say hi to the cockatiels. I fell in love with the sweetest little gray one. I kept clicking my tongue and she'd do a dance for me
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by popcornbird

OMG! OMG! OMG! That's MY Popcorn! LOL! She's doing the same thing as Popcorn too, and he looks JUST like her! CUTIE PIE! I believe cockatiels should be lower priced in Australia because they are native to the country.
    Mmm, yes I think so. They go up to about $150 ($US75) here I think, although I bought from a private breeder, so it was cheaper for me. She loved her birds but just had completely too many, so she was just glad to let them go to people who were going to look after them.
    Do you have Galah's as pets over there? They're native to Australia too...but I don't know if you call them Galah's or not. They're a kind of parrot too, and they're kind of pinkish. It seems weird to me that people would keep them as pets and pay hundreds of dollars for them, but I heard that they are available in America. There's a whole flock of them that roosts just over my fence, and at sunset every day they make the worst racket. But I admit, they are kind of cute