Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad and Frightening Day

Sad and Frightening Day

Like Tonya, today was a very upsetting day for me. Early this morning, a very kindly and sweet elderly couple dropped off their Border Terrier mix Keenan (a sweet little scruffy pup) for his annual Xmas groom. He is the most precious little guy at 13. And in apparent excellent health. As usual, we placed him in an outdoor run, awaiting his tubbie. About 10 minutes later, coming out of the office, I saw two co-workers running to the grooming table with a limp bundle of fur. It was Keenan, unconcious. I have often wondered what I would do should ever I ever be called upon to use my nursing skills at work. Sure, I had helped with bleeding nails, pulled muscles, cut paw pads and the like. Well, this was a time unlike all the others.. I ran to Keenan and saw that his pupils were fixed and dialated. His tongue and gums cyanotic. (Blue) He had no respirations or heartbeat. MY heart started racing and I searched my brain for all the info. I had ever seen or read about doggie CPR. How many compressions per breath????? Lay on the left SIDE???? Mouth to snout???? We all pitched in and immediately started giving compressions and respirations. His little chest rose and fell with each breath. After about 1 minute, his eyes began to dart and his heartbeat returned with shallow and labored respirations. All I could think was, where was the oxygen???? Does anyone have an airway? Well, unlike other cardiac arrests I had attended in hospitals, here there was no technical support, no "crash cart," no knowing physicians, no oxygen, no airway. Someone had called the vet and told them we were on our way. I was in the back of the truck with Keenan, still limp and blue, but struggling to breathe. FIGHT little Man, I shouted, breathing gently into his nostrils. He was trying SO hard. We raced through red lights until a police car pulled along side. When we explained our emergency, he led the way. After reaching the vet's, the little furry bundle was beginning to pink up, his eyes were open and his legs began to thrash. The vet rushed us in and examined him, inserting an 02 cannula into his nose. He said his heart sounds were muffled. A murmur. Maybe congestive heart failure, of which he had no history. Someone had called the family, and in a few minutes, his Dad was by his side. The prognosis, the vet said, was guarded to poor. An xray and cardiogram would be done after he was stabalized. They took the brave little man away and my heart ached. I looked at his Dad in silence, such a strong, stoic man, as he touched my shoulder and said "Thank you. You did all you could." My mind raced all the way home, recounting what had just transpired. It all happened with such speed and it was so unreal. When it all started, it was not the time to cry, it was the time to DO. When we got him "back," I was so relieved, all I could do was thank God. But now, as I bring to mind Keenan's beautiful face, recall his valiant fight to live, hold tight the look of love in his Dad's eyes and his attempts to comfor ME, tears pour. Please pray for a Christmas miracle for sweet, precious little Keenan, a beautiful and brave little soul. Thank you. Sandra

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Oh Sandra, {{{HUGS!}}}

How terrifying for you. I so hope he makes it. What a shock. Will hold you in my prayers.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

OMG Sandra!! What a frightening but touching story. That precious little dog was certainly lucky that you were there. I don't have any idea how I would have reacted in a situation like that! You're a guardian angel I'll be sending prayers to Keenan and family and to you too! **hugs**

Wow! Sandra ~ Way to Go!!

You folks already made a Christmas Milacle! No matter what the distant outcome, your actions gave Keenan and his loving Family a little more time together.

Congratulations on knowing what to do and then doing it! We're ALL proud of you!!
    /s/ Cinder, Smokey & Heidi

R.I.P. ~ Boots, Bowser, Sherman, & Snoopy

Sandra, got all teary, just thinking again about what you dealt with today. Remember, my Kaycee, the Cocker, lived almost a full year with congestive heart failure. Hers started with a seizure. She never had another seizure, but that seizure prompted the vet to hear how bad the heart sounded. We medicated and got to know our vet very well, and he extended her life, with quality for almost another year.

So chin up, that Keenan might just pull right through with the right medical care and love from his folks. Good luck to him.

And I meant to put out this question to you all. Where can we learn more about proper techniques for CPR for our animals? One of our Golden Retriever friends actually had to perform the Heimlich Manuver on her girl last week. I think these are good reminders of learning first aid techniques for humans and animals.

[ December 06, 2001: Message edited by: Logan ]

I'm sorry there isn't anything I can do, but Sara and I do send prayers and sympathy to what you had to witness.
    Alyssa

Oh, Sandra!!! I'm so sorry, that happened. That's soooo scary! I hope that little Keenan, is alright! Hugs and kisses,

Sarah & Sadie*

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Sandra! Thank goodness you were there to help! You assisted in saving little Keenan's life. If you weren't there, who knows what might have happened! I am crying as I type this. I hope that he pulls through and has many more years ahead of him. Sandra, you are an angel for helping him!!
    Save a life, ADOPT!!
    Sue

Rainbow Bridge Angels: Thor, Shiloh and Killian, Avalanche and Wolf
    (RB Gaylord and Bandit, fosters who have touched my heart)

Sandra, You did a great thing for all that you did to help hin. Will also pray for Keenan tonight.

Sandra, Phred said it all. You have already given Keenan's family a Christmas miracle. I have always admired and respected you for your knowledge and compassion. This situation just exemplifies what a beautiful person you are. You were so brave and did everything exactly right. If it were me, I probably would have passed out from panic and fright.

Keenan was blessed with an angel today... an angel named Sandra.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

My goodness! Sandra I'm so glad you were, where you were, when you were! You deserve a medal for what you did--honestly! You and Keenen & Co. are in my prayers.

{{hugs}}
    Tonya

*Sniffle, Sniffle*

Sandra, I am sorry you had to go through that. But I am glad that you were there to help little Keenan. I hope that he pulls through this. I am not sure if you will know how he is doing, but if you do, please update us.

Thanks everyone. I knew you guys would understand. I also know that each and everyone of us would have responded in the exact same way. And believe me Aly, I DID want to faint and panic. But, something just takes over and gives you the strength to do what you can. I called the kennel last night; they were going to call the family to check on Keenan. They had not as of last night I wanted to call the vet's, but was afraid I would be overstepping my bounds. I am not at work today. But told everyone there to please call me when they had any news. Like Logan says, I am praying that with medication little Keenan will have a bit more time with his family. Like poor sweet Tonya, I am haunted by the event, and I can't get the picture of his sweet, fuzzy little face and big brown eyes out of my head. WHY oh why is loving these creatures so painful! Rescues looking for forever homes, illnesses, abuse, neglect, lost dogs and cats. Sometimes I think my heart is going to break into a zillion pieces thinking of their plight. I'll let you guys know how he is as soon as I find out. And thank you for being so kind and supportive. Not that I ever doubted that would be the case. Love you guys. Sandra

[ December 07, 2001: Message edited by: tatsxxx11 ]

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Just last month I became certified in Adult, Child and infant CPR. The association I work for made arrangements with the Red Cross to offer classes here at work. While in class I asked about animal CPR and was informed they do offer classes several times a year. I'm signed up for the next one and after reading what you experienced, dear Sandra, it won't be too soon for me. Dog bless you for being there and please do keep us informed.
    laurie
    ~ at least I'm not...

Oh Tats - my heart just goes out to you. You did all you could for little Keenan. It is so tramatic to experience such a thing. Let us know if the little guy pulls through - lots of prayers will be said!!!!