Thread: Carnival in Erding

Carnival in Erding

In this little town near Munich, the moor demons have been loose today:

Be careful with the broom!

The demons around here are technically developped!

This witch gave me a porcelain piglet. It will bring me luck. For sure!

Junior Demons

I am sure this is exactly how you expected Germans to look these days

Next year you may come over and have fun with us. But take care! If they catch you, your nose will be painted green!

Former User Guest
    Nice pics!

We will have carnival this coming weekend, and I'm not looking forward to it. The horrible noise, drunk people and filthy town aren't anything to look forward to. But to those who enjoy the carnival, it will bu fun, of course!

That's so cool! It looks like so much fun Whenever I go to Germany I mainly go to places like Lübeck for shopping or Rostock for historical value. But this sure look like something that would be fun to see!

Thanks for sharing

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

What is that? Is it like Halloween?

A very confused Popcornbird

No -this is carnival like in New Orleans. In catholicism -and the south of Germany is very catholic- there is a time of lent 40 days before Easter. Before it starts everyone wanted to feast for the last time. This is where carnival comes from. This christian idea has been mixed with the earlier pagan spring rites (like the Roman Saturnalia) when people fought the winter demons. So in some towns in Southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland you can still see these demons with their wooden masks at carnival. They make a lot of noise because this will fight winter.

Great pictures!! Thank you so much for sharing!! I've said this before, but I love to see and read about things that are going on in other cultures. Looks like fun!!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

Originally posted by Barbara
    No -this is carnival like in New Orleans. In catholicism -and the south of Germany is very catholic- there is a time of lent 40 days before Easter. Before it starts everyone wanted to feast for the last time. This is where carnival comes from. This christian idea has been mixed with the earlier pagan spring rites (like the Roman Saturnalia) when people fought the winter demons. So in some towns in Southern Germany, Austria and Switzerland you can still see these demons with their wooden masks at carnival. They make a lot of noise because this will fight winter.
    Oh I see! Thanks for sharing. Its nice to see how different things are in other countries!

Oh! That looks like so much fun! And a bright clear day too!

I once found myself in Munich during Ocktoberfest -- so I went! I must admit wading through lots of (I'm trying to think of a nice term) pre-drunk (?) beer but such fun.

I'll be there next year! -- but green is not my color -- could I get my nose painted blue?

WOW....
    That is neat... so are you saying it is like a Mardi Gras?...
    Looks like everyone had lots of fun..
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

I would like to go to a carnival. I like the pictures

Nice pictures !!
    I must agree with Niina here , in fact , I hate that "carnival"-thing !
    Well , it is fun for the kids ! I remember my kids dressing up for it . So far , I enjoyed it too !
    see Indra dressed like an Indian princess

But , it is NO fun to live in the city where that herd passes by ! I have seen it in other towns , and the mess people leave on the streets , it is disgusting !!! I also hate to act" jolly" just because eveyone else is doing "weird" !!

I agree it must be horror in the big carnival metropoles like Cologne and Duesseldorf. But in our little town here it is on one hand much more original, not half as chaotic as elsewhere and on the other hand much fun

Former User Guest
    Originally posted by lut
    Nice pictures !!
    I must agree with Niina here , in fact , I hate that "carnival"-thing !
    But , it is NO fun to live in the city where that herd passes by ! I have seen it in other towns , and the mess people leave on the streets , it is disgusting !!! I also hate to act" jolly" just because eveyone else is doing "weird" !!
    Finally someone agrees with Patrick and me!!!