Like Tonya, today was a very upsetting day for me. Early this morning, a very kindly and sweet elderly couple dropped off their Border Terrier mix Keenan (a sweet little scruffy pup) for his annual Xmas groom. He is the most precious little guy at 13. And in apparent excellent health. As usual, we placed him in an outdoor run, awaiting his tubbie. About 10 minutes later, coming out of the office, I saw two co-workers running to the grooming table with a limp bundle of fur. It was Keenan, unconcious. I have often wondered what I would do should ever I ever be called upon to use my nursing skills at work. Sure, I had helped with bleeding nails, pulled muscles, cut paw pads and the like. Well, this was a time unlike all the others.. I ran to Keenan and saw that his pupils were fixed and dialated. His tongue and gums cyanotic. (Blue) He had no respirations or heartbeat. MY heart started racing and I searched my brain for all the info. I had ever seen or read about doggie CPR. How many compressions per breath????? Lay on the left SIDE???? Mouth to snout???? We all pitched in and immediately started giving compressions and respirations. His little chest rose and fell with each breath. After about 1 minute, his eyes began to dart and his heartbeat returned with shallow and labored respirations. All I could think was, where was the oxygen???? Does anyone have an airway? Well, unlike other cardiac arrests I had attended in hospitals, here there was no technical support, no "crash cart," no knowing physicians, no oxygen, no airway. Someone had called the vet and told them we were on our way. I was in the back of the truck with Keenan, still limp and blue, but struggling to breathe. FIGHT little Man, I shouted, breathing gently into his nostrils. He was trying SO hard. We raced through red lights until a police car pulled along side. When we explained our emergency, he led the way. After reaching the vet's, the little furry bundle was beginning to pink up, his eyes were open and his legs began to thrash. The vet rushed us in and examined him, inserting an 02 cannula into his nose. He said his heart sounds were muffled. A murmur. Maybe congestive heart failure, of which he had no history. Someone had called the family, and in a few minutes, his Dad was by his side. The prognosis, the vet said, was guarded to poor. An xray and cardiogram would be done after he was stabalized. They took the brave little man away and my heart ached. I looked at his Dad in silence, such a strong, stoic man, as he touched my shoulder and said "Thank you. You did all you could." My mind raced all the way home, recounting what had just transpired. It all happened with such speed and it was so unreal. When it all started, it was not the time to cry, it was the time to DO. When we got him "back," I was so relieved, all I could do was thank God. But now, as I bring to mind Keenan's beautiful face, recall his valiant fight to live, hold tight the look of love in his Dad's eyes and his attempts to comfor ME, tears pour. Please pray for a Christmas miracle for sweet, precious little Keenan, a beautiful and brave little soul. Thank you. Sandra