Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What cat is right for me?

baaset 27

Having an indoor isn the right thing to do. My 3 Bengals have been inside all their lives and are happy and healthy.
    Sandy Frost

Indoor only is the way to go!!! There are way too many dangers outside for kitties and plus if your getting a purebred, it might get stolen.

My cats are purfectly happy living only indoors
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

My cats are also only indoor cats and are very happy too. I'm so glad that you've decided to get an aby. Since aby's need a lot of attention you may want to get two of them. Good luck and please keep us updated.

Indoor is definately the way to go!

Not only is it dangerous for a kitty to be outside but:

You are doing your bit by protecting the birds and other small animals from predation in your yard.

You won't have to worry where kitty is at 2am in the morning.

Dead things on carpet don't look good especially when you have to dispose of them.

Kitties don't smell (really they don't compared to other animals) if you keep everything relating to kitty relatively clean.

Kitties keep *monsters* away that hide under beds, rugs and behind doors

Kitties are great feet warmers in winter. Also can be used a pillows, cushions and face washers. Watch out for sharp pointy things though

Definate entertainment value - don't worry about what happens to Ally McBeal because you will be too busy entertaining kitty. Television is a thing of the past in my house.

You will learn to share. Willingly or unwillingly. Forget trying to teach your kitty manners - it just simply won't happen.

I am sure other people can add to this list!

Also get used to the terms "headbumpies", "smooging", "pie crust holes", "the bowling pin", "the sumo", "the gargoyle", "the half gargoyle", "feral" and last but not least -

the

assysinian
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

When you mentioned coyotes, definitely keep your kitties inside. When I lived in Central Calif. on a ranch, we lost many furkids to coyote raids. A cat is no match for a hunting party of coyotes. Even now, since I live close to the Virdigris River in southeastern Kansas, I still hear coyotes howling from the river bottoms at night. My furkids are scared of them, and rightly so. I believe one of the main reasons cats like to go outside, even if they are primarily inside furkids, is to nibble on grass or some other green plants. Perhaps it would be proper to keep a box of lawn grass growin in the house all year, so they can eat some now and then.

........wayne

Inside cat it is

Ok, my cat will be an indoor cat only. One problem...I have some pet fish!!! Will my cat eat them while I'm asleep?

I will soon post some pictures of my past kitties

Baset 27-fish

baset 27
    Can't you put a screen over your fish to pertect
    from your future cat. Indoors is the right thing to do. Can't you have a room for the fish where the cat cannot go. I have a downstairs room
    next to the garage where the cats are not allowed. It's my reptile room.
    Sandy Frost

Bastet enjoys looking at my fish. I have a lid and a light on the top and only feed them when I know she isn't around. The fish don't seem to care so don't worry about stress. The only time I was concerned was when one fish jumped out and immediately got *eaten* by Bastet but that is a rare occurance.
    "A cat cannot see directly under its nose. This is why the cat cannot seem to find tidbits on the floor."

Bastet27, any kind of screen will do, however, it would be best to attempt to purchase one from a pet shop, one that will fit over the top of your aquarium. Otherwise, you can make one from any kind of screen, cut to fit over the top, to keep your new furkid from attempting to eat the fish. A top need not be made of screen but can be a regular solid tank top with a light in it.

The other night on Animal Planet, they had a home video of a kitten getting carried away, looking at the fish in a home aquarium. The kitten went head first into the water, but then immediately jumped out. Needless to say the people did not have a top on their aquarium.

..........wayne
    Last edited by L. Wayne; 03-08-2003 at 05:08 AM.

ok, then I will buy a cover for my fish tank. How do you stop your cat from scratching the furniture? I have tried putting a scratching post in front of the chair that they particularily like but sometimes they don't use it. Do you know any ways?

Thanx for all your help!

Any shelter cat is the way to go Give a homeless cat a good furrrever home. There are SO many unwanted, abandoned cats out there. Please don't line the pockets of breeders.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

To stop a furkid from scratching up your furniture (1) have a designated scratching post for them. (2) Even with my 11 furkids, I still have problems with a few of them scratching my couch. So far I have covered the entire couch with a bed spread, including the sides. Also, if you spray cologne or some other smelly stuff on it, this will usually deter them. Whenever I hear that familair tearing sound, usually, I will attempt to spray the offenders with water, as they understand that I am not pleased with that behavior. However, they are like a bunch of children, and they have to be remineded now and then. I have been told that if you place a little catnip on their scratching post, then theywill prefer that to your furniture.

.........wayne

Diluted vinegar in a water pistol works wonders for not having kitties scratch things they are not supposed to!

In fact I have Bastet well trained all I have to do now is point my *loaded finger* at her and she heads for the hills!

I don't know....It's a leather chair, is it ok to spray stuff on it? I don't know if it would harm it...would it work the same?

I am not sure about leather chairs but isnt' there some kind of leather conditioner you can rub on it that has a smell that may deter your kitty?