Thread: kitty cat dreadlocks

kitty cat dreadlocks

hi everybody. worrying about grooming my cats seems awfully superficial when others are worrying about health and surgery and bringing their loved ones home from the vet safely...our prayers and thoughts go out to those humans and kitties!

i am hoping somebody can give me some advice about grooming long-haired cats. i've had miko for nearly 6 years but i've never had problems with her fur until lately. she's getting dreadlocks on her back and on her haunches. i try to trim them with scissors then brush them out with a comb, but she hates it, and i can't seem to get her to sit still long enough to brush out the knots. any ideas? she's sweet as pie until the brush comes out!

thanks everybody! happy almost friday!

idea...

Hmm did you ever try like johnson & johnson detangler? Spray it on the "dreadlock " and after a minute try combing through? Of course you might have to use a kitty bathwipe afterwards to finish the job, i dunno, but the detangler might help.. i know it works on my curly hair if I let it sit.. AND i used to use it on my Chow Chow I had.. worked wonders on his hair.. used to do it before bathtime on him so his tangles were none.

Dunno if it would work or not.. maybe another poster here will have an idea too!

and don't feel silly about kitty grooming questions.. we all know a key to a happy & healthy kitty starts at the beauty stage!

Hi Purplecat,

I just wanted to welcome you to Pet Talk.

I don't have an answer to your problem, all I can say is: natty dreads are cool.

Here goes! Max is long-haired and I'm able to comb his belly, back and sides, but refused to let me get near the back end (must be a male pride thing!!)

For tangles on his hips, I use a flea comb to gently separate the knot then use a wider-tooth comb to finish the job. I've been told "never use sissors" because you can accidently cut the kitty's skin. Well, I have used sissors on occasion but mostly use the comb.

As far as the back end is concerned, his baggy-pants get shaved off twice a year at the groomers. That way I don't lose a couple of fingers....

Good luck and welcome to PT! We are all here to help, no matter what the subject!!
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

the best tool for combing out a knot is a shedding comb. This is a comb with alternating long and short teeth. It is fantastic! I could not do my job (pet groomer) without it. But knots DO pull at the skin, so they are uncomfortable for kitty. That is at least part of the reason she fights the procedure. I would NEVER use a scissor on a cat. too risky. if a mat will not brush out, a clipper with a short blade (#10) will do the trick a whole lot safer. Keep in mind that when a mat forms it pulls the skin (to prove this hold on to some hair and twist it and watch the skin pull up off the body). That is why the scissors are so dangerous, the skin gets folds that you would not expect to be there. work with the comb and a slicker brush doing very small sections at a time, and when in doubt call a professional.

We got a special comb from the vet. It looks like an ordinary metal comb but it is fantastic for taking out snarls and it doesn't seem to pull on the hair. Also, I just got a shedding comb (for small dogs) which the cats seem to like the feel of.

Originally posted by jenluckenbach
    the best tool for combing out a knot is a shedding comb. This is a comb with alternating long and short teeth. It is fantastic! I would NEVER use a scissor on a cat. work with the comb and a slicker brush doing very small sections at a time, and when in doubt call a professional.
    this is great advize !!! I do the same thing with my half-longhaired Inka ! I also brush her every day , even if it is not necessary 8 This way , she gets used to it! One thing she really hates , is when I comb her between her hind legs ...! But it is necessary , so I do it !! For my cats' sake !

I only have shorthaired cats so I don't have advice. But I think it is absolutely ok if you ask these questions. I am always a little worried when I look at Cat's Health and am glad to hear and to learn about minor problems too. Hope we all can read about lost claws and mats and not of bigger problems for quite a long time