Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetes and older cats

Diabetes and older cats

Hello all, maybe someone could enlighten me on this subject. Our old family cat Socks (whom I brought home when I was in Jr. High..which would make him roughly 13-14 yrs old now) was just diagnosed with diabetes. My mom and I were so upset. We caught it at the beginning stages, but the way the vet talked about it felt very pessimistic. Mom told me that he said something about Socks going on an all wet food kind of diet, and then getting injections 2 times a day, 12 hours a part. If he's not better in 6 months, then to just put him down. That was definitely not very encouraging!! We were both so upset about it and we cried and cried on Saturday. Socks had been drinking a lot of water recently, which is why my mom took him in for a blood test. He's not overweight, he's just average, but he's older: around the 13-14yr age range. Other than that and being a little deaf, he's fine.
    What can we expect of having an older diabetic cat? I would have thought that catching it at the beginning stages would have been a good thing, but that vet's comment make me think otherwise. Any thoughts or experiences with this?

Thanks
    **hugs**
    Karen

Hello Karen

Diabetes is a perfectly managable disease in animals (and humans) especially when it is caught at an early stage. It sounds like maybe you should see another vet (that pessimistic attitude doesn't do anyone any good). Unless Socks is having kidney problems and you can handle the twice daily injections, there is no real reason to put him down.

You will have to change his diet, but there is special food available for diabetic cats. You will also have to watch his water intake and be alert for the possibility of infections (it makes it more difficult to control the diabetes). In addition you will have to make sure that Socks get some exercise every day (but that just means you will have to play with him regularily ).

If you take basic precautions and learn how to inject the insulin you shouldn't have any problems. I hope this helps...

RB Demian - age 18

I had a wonderful tiger kitty that was put down after being diagnosed with diabetes. The vet said he was not a good candiate for treatment since he objected to having his blood sample test done. I thought it all over and decided that he would be so darn miserable having an injection or two each day and having to have his blood tested so often, that I had one last great week with him and then sent him to the kitty angels. He is out of discomfort now and I helped. It is up to you as to how much time, money, energy, discomfort etc. you want to expose your pet and yourself to. I know some folks who have been giving their cat injections for years, and have been since the cat was little. That is not my style, but I certainly would consider it if the cat didn't mind. Many cats can tolerate much more than others. Demian was unhappy at the Vets and very uncooperative.

Diabetes is right around the corner for many cats, mostly because so many are over weight. I know that is not the situation for you, but it is fairly common.

I have two friends who's older, outside cat came down with diabetes and they did not treat the disease but elected to just let it run its course. The cat was put down after one awful year. I would rather a cat go out feeling pretty good, feeling very, very loved and at a time when the last week is a "quality week"...and it can enjoy life to its fullest. As the disease progresses, the cats usually become uncomfortable and quite ill.

I know that putting an animal down is not an easy decision, but I have done it three times now and after looking back, it was the right decision for me. I never want to see an animal suffer. Especially an older cat. I love them too much to let that happen.

Everyone is different about their pets' dealth!
    Last edited by sasvermont; 11-18-2002 at 12:02 PM.

I have a friend who had a cat that had diabetes. They treated it for about a year or so, and the kitty seemed to tolerate it, but she kept declining so they made that last tough decision. The really sad part is she was only 8, and seemed to be in good health, not overweight, until she was diagnosed. And I don't remember what caught their attention to bring her to the vet for the diagnosis. I remember she had to have special food, which was kind of a pain since they had 2 or 3 other cats at the same time and of course they all wanted the special food. She had a relatively good last year, but she just kept getting more and more despondent and the blood tests weren't good, so it was time.

It is something that can be treated if the cat tolerates it, but like others have said, the determination of quality of life needs to be made, and the best choice made for the kitty, even if it's so hard on us.

If you're concerned about the vets pessismistic attitude, you should get a 2nd opinion. Just because Socks is somewhat "elderly" shouldn't be an automatic death sentence.

Please give Socks a hug and smoochies from me, and hugs to you and your mom too.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

My cat Y.Lee was diagnosed with diabetes. It was no problem giving his twice daily injections. His new diet, which was a high fiber/low fat dry food was not much more expensive than his old food and he liked it. What he did not like was all the blood testing that needed to go on in order to try to regulate his blood glucose levels. We did all the right things for 6 months and he got somewhat better but he never became completely regulated. When he stopped eating for 3 days we decided that no more testing be done (for this made him most irratable) and put him to sleep. BUT I would not have put him down without at least trying !!!!
    Cats are the only animal that CAN BEAT diabetes. If the cat will tolerate the treatments, if the extra care (vet visits, insulin, needles, special food etc.) will not be too great of a financial burden then your kitty deserves every chance that you can give him.

There are some research groups which are working on the equivalent of the "atkins diet" for diabetic cats. I think one of them is the Winn (sp?) site. There was a woman where I worked who had a diabetic cat on this diet. The diabetes resolved itself.

As far as the more conventional treatment, some cats tolerate the blood sample/insulin needles better than others. Good luck with your kitty.

Thanks everyone. I had always thought that Diabetes was pretty tolerable with cats, so I was a bit startled when the vet said that about the 6 months. Socks is otherwise perfectly fine and seems like normal except for him going to the bathroom a lot. If we do have to start the injections, I think he'll probably handle them ok. He has always had good vet visit manners and didn't fuss when he got shots, so hopefully he'll tolerate them ok if we have to go that route.

Currently he is on a special food that the vet said was the newest most cutting edge thing. We'll see what happens. After 2 weeks of having the food and receiving anti-biotics for an infection, he'll go in for more tests to see if we need to start with the injections.
    Last edited by wolflady; 11-19-2002 at 04:00 PM.

I am glad that the vet has put Socks onto special food. You may find that once the infection is cleared up the diabetes will not be as serious and you might be able to control it through diet and exercise. Infections stress the body and animals (or humans) who have diabetes tend to have a flair up if they are fighting an infection. In the mean time make sure that he is getting plenty of water so he doesn't become dehydrated.

Our paws and fingers are crossed that you will be able to get by with the diet and exercise

Speaking from personal experience, the injections don't hurt. I do four a day myself More than anything they are annoying. My friend's boyfriend has a diabetic cat and she's very healthy as long as she keeps to her regime

OMG {{Nomilynn}} 4 injections a day! Bless your heart!

Socks went in for his 2 week blood check-up and he was down to 260, which was better than before, so we didn't have to start the shots just yet. We have to take him back in another 2 weeks for another test. I really hope this food diet helps! That's easy! But, if he must go to the injections, we'll probably go ahead and try them out, because he really seems and looks ok otherwise. Poor guy! Will keep you posted!
    **hugs**
    Karen

Good morning Karen,

I am so happy that Socks is doing much better on the diet. I hope that he continues to do well.

Originally posted by emily_the_spoiled
    Good morning Karen,

I am so happy that Socks is doing much better on the diet. I hope that he continues to do well.
    Thanks emily We're keeping our hopes up for him. He seems to like the food, so that's a good thing. Of course...he's always liked food! LOL I'll be sure to give him some scritchies for you.

**hugs**

I'm so glad to hear he's improved a bit. Good luck with his next check-up, hope he's even better by then
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Hi everyone. Just thought I would let you all know that Socks has gone on to the Rainbow Bridge. I posted in Cat Health under the topic Another baby to the Rainbow Bridge.

Here is a link to an excellent website for those faced with the diagnosis of feline diabetes. It offers excellent medical information and advice, and also provides a forum for families with diabetic felines to share their concerns, ask questions and lend/get support. Diabetes can be treated, in animals as well as humans. http://www.felinediabetes.com/index.html

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~