Thread: Rescuing older cats!

Rescuing older cats!

Hi guys. Have any of you rescued an older cat when you already had a younger one home? If you said yes how did the younger cat react to this change?
    Rosemary, Hayley & Mandy

Our little angel.

"A kitten is a rosebud in the garden of the Animal Kingdom"
    -Robert Southey

Haleyrose,

I've been in animal rescue for over 5 years now. First rule of thumb...NEVER expose a strange cat to your cats in your house till it's been tested for Feline Leukemia and Aids and has been given a clean bill of health from the vet. You'll be doing your cats a great favor and save alot of money in the end. You'll also be able to find out of he/she is neutered/spayed.

Second, if you plan on keeping the kitty, isolate him/her in a spare room (if you have one) with a litterbox, food, water, radio and nightlight. Keep him/her in there and your other kitties sniff from under the door. Believe me, they WILL know there's someone new in the house.

Keep the new kitty in the room (go in a visit, play, talk to him/her) for at least 2 weeks. If you have any safety gates (you know the ones they use to keep little kids from falling down the stairs) put them (you'll probably need at least 2 or maybe 3) in the door way stacked on top of each other. Make sure they are locked properly in the doorway. This will help the cats get better acquainted. There will be hissing and spitting, but don't let that bother you. It's normal. It's your cats way of letting the newcomer know who rules the roost. Feed your cats near the doorway where the new kitty is. This will also help because dining together gives them a pleasant experience and will also let each other know there's no threat.

Week 3, let the new kitty out to explore. Make sure they are being supervised at all times just in case. Again, there will be hissing but that's to be expected. Put kitty back in the room with the gates. Keep doing this for about a week. Once you feel comfortable and there's been no bloodshed (just hissing etc.) you can probably let kitty out for good PROVIDING someone is there to supervise.

I would recommend getting new kitty his/her own litterbox and dishes.

Good luck and let me know how everything turns out.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I have. And it all depends on the cats' personalities. Monte was 6 years old when he joined the others (6 others at the time). 3 of them were A-OK with him, 2 were somewhat threatened, and 1 doesn't count because she hates them all.