Thread: Bird's bravery convicts killer - RIP hero Bird

Bird's bravery convicts killer - RIP hero Bird

WARNING: This is a very sad story, so read it with some tissues nearby.

A pet cockatoo killed while trying to protect its US owner from an attack provided enough crucial DNA evidence to convict the man's murderer.

The white-crested cockatoo, named Bird, belonged to a man in Dallas, Texas, who was killed on Christmas Eve 2001 by a former employee at his pool company.

Authorities said Daniel Torres - and another suspect due to stand trial - bound, stabbed, beat and slashed Kevin Butler after an argument, but during the struggle Bird flew at the pair, pecking them on the head and drawing blood.

Torres wiped the blood and then touched a light switch, leaving crucial DNA evidence at the crime scene, prosecutors said.

DNA evidence was also found on the cockatoo's beak and claws, and on two bloodstained knives found at the scene.

The combined evidence was enough to convict Torres of murder and sentence him to life in prison.

Bird paid the ultimate price for his bravery, as he was also found stabbed to death at the crime scene with his leg cut off.

Torres said in a confession he had stabbed the bird with a fork after it had pecked him "all over my head", the Associated Press news agency reported.

Defence lawyer Phillip Linder told the Dallas Morning News newspaper that he did not think the cockatoo played a major part in the jury's decision.

"I think that even without the bird - the crime scene, the photos and the way the victim was bound - it was a violent struggle [and] the state had a lot of evidence," he said.

However prosecuting lawyer George West said Bird's bravery had been key to the trial.

"This bird spoke; he spoke to us," Mr West told jurors at the trial.

We know this bird will attack anybody who is attacking his owner. And who did he attack? Daniel Torres."

SOURCE: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/2782229.stm

Please sign my guestbook if you have the time

What a brave birdie It's so sad that he had to pay the ultimate price for his bravery, by losing his life, what is wrong with people
    At least he and his owner can be together again.
    Thanks for sharing the story.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

OMG!!!

omg that is so sad! i think ill use up a box of tissues!
    poor bird! people make me so mad and sad
    omg itll take me a while to get over this one.
    poor baby....... i want one so much too!

R.I.P. Bird... you are very brave

How Sad!!Thanks for the advanced warning

Misty loves you! Do you love misty?Awww, look at that cute face! Who can resist?

OMG! Poor baby! What a loyal bird! Its amazing how intelligent our feathered friends are!

may Bird rest in peace what a courageous thing he did for his owner, and i am sure he and his owner are happy together. how sad

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road