Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Run From The Nail Clippers Ahh!!

zoey hates having her nails cut also but not to the extreme. but plucking her ear hair is even worst. she runs away everytime she sees the tweezers.

Originally posted by evelyn1157
    zoey hates having her nails cut also but not to the extreme. but plucking her ear hair is even worst. she runs away everytime she sees the tweezers.
    i never heard of plucking dog ear hair heehee
    I've been BOO'd!

I cant even barely stand getting my eye brows tweezed. Why would you pluch a dogs ear hair?? thats gotta hurt, I would run away to If I was Zoey. Is your dog a shih tzu?? She is really cute
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    I cant even barely stand getting my eye brows tweezed. Why would you pluch a dogs ear hair?? thats gotta hurt, I would run away to If I was Zoey. Is your dog a shih tzu?? She is really cute
    We do it in Grooming all the time. Not all breeds have a problem with it. But shih tzus, poodles, schnauzers, etc. do. They grow so much fur in their ears it is not healthy...how easy would it be for you to hear if your ears were full of hair?? It also makes the chance of an ear infection worse.

We put a special powder in the ear which makes the fur easier to grip and dries out the ear canal. Then just pull it out with your fingers, or tweezers if its far down in there. I'm sure it hurts, but the dog is better off in the long run. I've pulled it out of Reggie's ears, and he doesn't mind it too bad.

tikeyas_mom, zoey's coloring is the same as your oscar's! they look alike now. but zoey's hair is shorter.

i have tried the powder thing with zoey. but she still hates having her ear hair plucked

I havn't seen this suggestion yet, but have you thought about possibly using a dremel or craft grinder. My dogs (5) hate having their nails trimmed with a guillotine clipper. From what I understand it applies pressure to the quick, that some dogs find really uncomfortable. I prefer the cordless type (craftsmen, $28 at sears) They really do seem to prefer this method. You just touch it to the nail instead of applying a constant pressure (it can heat the nail up) The best thing about it, is that you can see how far you can go down without grinding into the quick..

I learned how to use one from www.doberdawn.com

Be advised that you have to take precautions with longer haired breeds.
    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself." -Josh Billings

Originally posted by wolf_Q

We do it in Grooming all the time. Not all breeds have a problem with it. But shih tzus, poodles, schnauzers, etc. do. They grow so much fur in their ears it is not healthy...how easy would it be for you to hear if your ears were full of hair?? It also makes the chance of an ear infection worse.

We put a special powder in the ear which makes the fur easier to grip and dries out the ear canal. Then just pull it out with your fingers, or tweezers if its far down in there. I'm sure it hurts, but the dog is better off in the long run. I've pulled it out of Reggie's ears, and he doesn't mind it too bad.
    you're so lucky to have a job where you work with dogs...I hope I can one day...
    I've been BOO'd!

Pulling out a dogs ear hair? Yooowwccchhh! That seems borderline cruelty to me. Can't you shave it instead? Or use nair or something?

When I clip Kenya's toenails, I avoid holding her. I attempt to do it while shes laying down and I crawl up to her with the clippers in my hand so she can see them, and I lay by her and just reach out and attempt to clip em. I find that she's much better about it if I don't attempt to restrain her and if I let her see what I'm doing. I just do one at a time, and give her lots of treats in between each clip. I usually get away with two nails on each paw a day.

I just clipped Icarus's nails again today...I swear, the more I cut them, the more freaked out he gets! I wish he would just get used of it...
    I've been BOO'd!

I cut my hamsters nails not that often they dont mind though. it is Cheeko my cockatiel that hates it.
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven