Thread: Aggression

Hybrid View

Aggression

OK, I took the dogs to the dog park today for a run, and everything went well (They ganged up on my and wrapped their leashes around me, making my fall over..gr..)
    Anyway, Jo has been VERY good out there the last while. A few years ago, she would never listen when theres dogs around. Now she comes as soon as I call her and sits in front of me. She's very good with other dogs..the only time she's ever had a 'scrap' was when this dog kept growling at her.
    But....today, she was playing fine, and I saw this dog coming in, so I told got her and Zeke to sit by me, so they don't get out while the new dog comes in (try to follow the dog that just left) and so the dog comes charging in, and I let them go, Jo goes right for the poor dog and starts growling at it and biting. I GUESS she could have been playing, she does that sometimes with Zeke..but I duno. She's never done that before, the dog seemed really sweet. Then Zeke started growling (trying to be like Jo) So I put her on leash to smell the dog, but his owner kept calling him away..its like yeah ok, I have her on leash and shes only in nose smelling range. He looked at me like I was some crazy person with no control of my dogs..I find that embarrassing kinda, but it doesnt matter. So I just leave cause the guy keeps calling his dog back, and i didn't want Jo to pick a fight with it, as it's much bigger then her.

Does anyone elses dog ever do that? Like them usually being not like that? I have no clue what got in to her..

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

my dog is kinda like that .. If u think your dog will start a fight then maybe keep him/her on a leash when going to the park .. My siberian Tikeya outs her head on other dogs backs and growls and whines .. she trys to get the other dog to become submissive .. It usually works with the males but I dont let her meet female dogs because she is too aggresive toward them ..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

No, she's NEVER done this before..

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

It is normal that when dogs meet there would be a certain amount of posturing or growling, if she doesn’t do it too often there is nothing to worry about. What you did was great, but once you get them on leash to control them you must not forget one thing; for most people its natural to hold the leash high and tight. This will pull the dog's head up, making him look aggressive and in a position ready to fight. try to keep the leash low so they can say hi to each other without giving the wrong impression.
    Another thing is, never punish her for growling because that will make her hide it and will give you less opportunity to know what’s going on. She would make a negative association with the new dog. Praise her instead when new dogs are around, give her a treat to refocus her attention on you and that way she would be really happy when other dogs come around, she would be thinking hey! Time for goodies!
    Yaiza MG.