Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: kid thread

Originally posted by Twisterdog

Hee, hee, hee .... just wait, you'll find out.

You have a fifteen month old? Ahhhh, yes .... all the "downsides" are still to come, believe me!!!!

Not that I would trade my son for everything in the world, but kids can be a pain in the rear when they get older. They get expensive, smart-mouthed and rebellious ..... and I don't even have a true teenager yet! And that's a GOOD kid I'm talking about .... some of them get a LOT worse.

I know, I know ..... you're thinking "Not MY kid! I will NEVER let that happen! He'll be the perfect child." Oooookey, dokey .... let us know in about eleven years, ok? I said the same things, ALL parents did.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything ... but EVERYTHING in life has a downside. Nothing is perfect. Want a new car? The downside is car payments and higher insurance. Want a new puppy? The downside is housetraining, chewed up couches and vet bills. Want a kid? The downside is the potential for a lot of tears, heartache and problems.

All of what you said is common sense. I never said he was perfect, nor will he be when he gets older. I raised my brother and sister since I was 9 and believe me they are a MAJOR pain in the arse!!! But I never said nor would I say something like that because it's just not what happens.

Of course I am *hoping* and praying he won't turn out to be a drug dealer or something but every parent wished the best for their child.

He is just now starting to become independent and yes there are many a times when I feel like exploding from constant temper tantrums etc, but he's growing and to me I can't be mad at him because he doesn'tknow what he is doing yet. Once he knows I will start showing my "rath" lol.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

Originally posted by neko1

I agree! When most people find out I'm getting married, their next question is "so, when are you having children?" !!! Did it ever occur to anyone, that maybe we don't want children right now?! And then if you say no, you get these looks from people and it is hurtful.
    Ah yes and even if you already have a child that doesn't stop them! My step dad kept drilling me for another baby only a few weeks after I had DYlan!!!

I mean come on, lol!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

agree! When most people find out I'm getting married, their next question is "so, when are you having children?" !!! Did it ever occur to anyone, that maybe we don't want children right now?! And then if you say no, you get these looks from people and it is hurtful.
    People used to look at me like I had a third eye growing out of my forehead when I would say I didn't want kids. And guys were ok with it when we were 1st dating, but when it got serious, then it changed to maybe we should think about it. NO! My husband and I had to completely agree on this before I would agree to marry him and we've no regrets.
    Three years ago I had a hysterectomy and now I don't get those looks anymore like they think I'm a freak.
    Now I get the pity looks. I think I hate that even more!
    Then I have to explain that I didn't want any in the first place.
    So complicated.

BTW - I am really enjoying this thread!

Originally posted by marysmerrycats
    well I made the near fatal mistake of saying oh ha ha, you have to say wait til dad is home, you can't do anything yourself!
    really stupid comment on my part.
    1/2 second later I was on the ground getting my mouth slapped!

and that's what made you the rotten, mean person you are today?

my mom told me once (clean it up for the prudes and innocents out there) ......just because you can go to bed with someone and get them pregnant does not make you a parent or a father....

true enough, after seeing some bozos who know that you put 'tab a' into 'slot b' ........it's the truth.

it's a mindset and a devotion of your life towards your kid's life.

getting your ass kicked by your parents isn't the 'crime' that people make it out to be...I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ABUSE...
    i'm talking about taking a crack on the keister for being a smart ass, doing something you ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO....

if enough kids learned by the 'once burnt, twice shy' method of parenting, we'd have half the probs in the world today.....

btw.....mary, i like rotten mean women....they are dangerous!

But there is a difference between "getting your ass kicked" and being disciplined. I was hit as a child (with implements) and both my parents and I agree that it wasn't the way to go. It created a lot of turmoil in our lives that has taken a while to get over. There are other, more effective ways of disciplining kids than by losing control and hitting them while you're angry.

Originally posted by RICHARD

getting your ass kicked by your parents isn't the 'crime' that people make it out to be...I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT ABUSE...

am i stuttering again?????

No, not stuttering. But I think using the phrase "getting your ass kicked" to be synonymous with reasonable discipline is a bit misleading.

Originally posted by luckies4me
    I can't be mad at him because he doesn'tknow what he is doing yet. Once he knows I will start showing my "rath" lol.
    Trust me, start now. DO NOT wait until "he knows." Kids learn real quick even when they're babies, and the earlier you start the easier it will be all around.

Ok, so I'm not a parent, but I've got nephews and a niece and I've seen the results of waiting. Not a pretty site.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Originally posted by RICHARD

am i stuttering again?????

rich
    remember when you write things use grammar and terms to keep the reader interested in the topic, you have no control over the literal intrepretation or reaction that the reader may attach to your comments. Should the reader make assumptions or is
    unable to detect sarcasm or hidden meanings in the topic,
    write at their level next time.

10. And guys were ok with it when we were 1st dating, but when it got serious, then it changed to maybe we should think about it. NO! My husband and I had to completely agree on this before I would agree to marry him and we've no regrets.
    Oh how I remember this! I married a guy who had already had his kids and was not interested in more. That would be one of my questions if I ever went on the Dating Game. Would you have the Big Snip for me?

Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
    That would be one of my questions if I ever went on the Dating Game. Would you have the Big Snip for me?

BIG SNIP?

the secret to getting a man to agree to having sharp objects around the area of his genitalia is to make it sound like fun or a sport......

when the doctors explain it they say 'We are going to make two small incisions........." See, small incisions!!!!!! that shames us into
    saying, "Small incisions? yea, no problem....."
    we don't want to look like wusses in the dr.s office!

rich
    remember when you write things use grammar and terms to keep the reader interested in the topic, you have no control over the literal intrepretation or reaction that the reader may attach to your comments. Should the reader make assumptions or is
    unable to detect sarcasm or hidden meanings in the topic,
    write at their level next time.

Now, if all that were true, would I have been able to laugh at that post!

RICHARD your posts crack me up! Love your sarcasam and quick wit!

My husband and I are CBC. I raised somone else's children for several years. 5 children including a set of twins all UNDER the age of 7yr !

As far as "Discipline" goes, I was raised by a WONDERFUL Nanny who used the 3 Strike rule with me: 1) I warn you. 2) I warn you again, AND you lose something (i.e., toy, dessert...etc.) 3) Since you didn't get it in the "EAR" (you didn't listen) now you get it on "THE REAR"!

I'm fine with spanking (open hand on butt), but I think it's KEY that the parent not do it while in a rage.

Originally posted by LoudLou

My husband and I are CBC. I raised somone else's children for several years. 5 children including a set of twins all UNDER the age of 7yr !

As far as "Discipline" goes, I was raised by a WONDERFUL Nanny who used the 3 Strike rule with me: 1) I warn you. 2) I warn you again, AND you lose something (i.e., toy, dessert...etc.) 3) Since you didn't get it in the "EAR" (you didn't listen) now you get it on "THE REAR"!
    hat's off to you (5 kids? you know 4 gets you sainthood!!!)

let's review.
    your getting YAK'ed ruined you in what way??

my dad was great (god bless him) he KOA (kicked our ass) with a
    belt, and we deserved it when it came our way....funny, Nanny hit you yet you still call her WONDERFUL, are you sure it's not the STOCKHOLM SYNDROME? you know when the hostages start to identify with the hostage takers??? i have no kids either (can't find a woman crazy or drunk enough to have a go at it...), but i find that people who can't trust or control their emotions should
    be CBL (childless by law-sarcasm engaged).........

here's a good one......my nephew was raised by the 'BOARD OF EDUCATION' a long handled pine swatter............

far more frightening when mom has you by the arm and you are on your toes waiting for the smack (psychological threats!) that never comes.

(nobody's listening, how many third strikes did you get? not many, i bet.........)
    this kid finished high school, became a marine, got married and
    is currently working and taking his last 4 classes, soon to be certified as an EMT.