Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: kid thread

Well, how about a picture?!
    This is me with my great- neice, Anna, taken Jan 2003.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

thanks for understanding it was dumb of me to delete it but we're starting it up again and i learn from all this

i love kids and want to have at least 3 of them. all my cousins who have kids let me stay with the baby when we visit. i do everything with them.

i know..kids do grow too fast, luckies! i remember my bro from when he was 1 and now he is 10 he was the biggest cutie. yesterday we found some old pics of him. too cute

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

i love little kids too. babies are soo adorible! I want one! hehe but then you think of all the down sides of having one
    lol.... oh well. ill play with other peoples kids. lol

Me and Eric don't have any kids and I am not sure if we ever will. Were still real young now I'm only 22 and he is 24. I like kids but I don't know if there right for us. We have too many plans for life and I don't want to neglect my children of anything (if we have any). I have a niece and a nephew and he has a niece and a nephew and spending time with them is fun but I just can't see myself with any children. ... I would not be surprised if we end up not having any. .... And if we do It will be a blessing from God and I would love it with all my heart~ But sometimes it is kind of hard on me because family is always asking me when we are going to have kids and it is kind of hurtful but... oh well... they will love me and respect our decision if that is what it turns out to be.

Hope that made since..
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

What downsides are there of having children?

You want to travel? Fine, take your kids along. I would much rather experience the world with my family than just Dan and I. It is so exciting to know that you are adding enrichment to your childs life.

We NEVER had vacations when I was younger. My son is going to see everything...as soon as I get over the fear of him falling out of his backpack carrier while hiking.

I love kids (disciplined ones) and babies. I love baby smells.....dirty diapers are fine too. A child is such a precious thing, and it is really awesome and mind blowing to see how they grow and learn. It's truly amazing. Ya so Dan and I can't go out all the time, so what. I was never a real partier or anything and it's a lot more rewarding seeing a big smile on my sons face after taking him to the pond to feed the ducks and geese than it is if I went to a movie.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

the only way any one could answer this is from their own perspective. Your life WILL change, and if you are not willing to accept those changes, then THAT would be a "down side".

enough said or this thread WILL become controversial

Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
    Me and Eric don't have any kids and I am not sure if we ever will. Were still real young now I'm only 22 and he is 24. I like kids but I don't know if there right for us. We have too many plans for life and I don't want to neglect my children of anything (if we have any). I have a niece and a nephew and he has a niece and a nephew and spending time with them is fun but I just can't see myself with any children. ... I would not be surprised if we end up not having any. .... And if we do It will be a blessing from God and I would love it with all my heart~ But sometimes it is kind of hard on me because family is always asking me when we are going to have kids and it is kind of hurtful but... oh well... they will love me and respect our decision if that is what it turns out to be.

Hope that made since..
    Sara, this makes total sense. In fact, i'm in this same position at the moment. I've never really been a "kid person". Does that make sense? I mean, I don't dislike them, but I just don't think they're right for me right now. I have a nephew and he's just adorable and in fact, I'll include a picture of me and my nephew! But just after a few hours with him, I'm done! LOL LOL I admit, if I walk into a room and there is a baby and a puppy or a kitten, I would more than likely go to the puppy or kitten first. LOL

I have the highest respect for both couples who are CBC as well as those who choose the route of being parents. It's a tough job! Kudos to both types! Whatever is right for each couple, is how it should be!
    Sara, I totally know where you're coming from on the family issue. My mother-in-law is so into wanting grandchildren! In fact, literally, the day I got married, she asked me at the reception when to expect grandchildren! Uh...I don't think so!!
    It really can be quite pressuresome, especially if you're really not considering the idea at the moment. I sometimes feel like it's something expected of me because I'm married, but I don't think that's enough reason for me to have a kid. If we do make that decision later on down the road, that's cool, and like you said, it would be a gift from God. It would probably be God's plan for me to have them. If I choose not to have kids, that's fine too. Even though I'm 26, I still feel too young, and I still want to have my freedom to explore what I want to do in life, after all, I'm still not so sure!
    Right now I don't even have time for a dog, so I sure as heck know I don't have time for kids!! Lifestyle and freedom is important for me right now, and I still don't have enough time in a day to do everything I want! I guess things will fall into place like they should for me in the future, but right now, I'm CBC with ABC!!! LOL (Childless by choice with Animals by choice! LOL LOL )

I hope I haven't offended anyone. That is not my intention. I have respect for both points of view
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Originally posted by jenluckenbach

the only way any one could answer this is from their own perspective. Your life WILL change, and if you are not willing to accept those changes, then THAT would be a "down side".

enough said or this thread WILL become controversial
    hehe sorry but that wasn't supposed to be interpreted as a quested, just simply my thoughts on children, and believe you me I totally agree with you!!!

I could be happy either way....with a couple kids or tons of pets! You don't loose either way lol.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

WOW Karen.....
    You totally are living my life on the complete opposite side of the US!

Right now I don't even have time for a dog, so I sure as heck know I don't have time for kids!!
    HA.... that is so me right now too!!!
    I have always wanted a siberian husky soooooooooooooooo bad Eric wants a dog too someday but I have NO time for a dog. Me and Eric both work at Nestle and from April through to December they work me six days a week and Eric seven... ten hour days... and with school too we don't have any time for each other either. One day though I WILL HAVE A DOG.... !!!!!!!!! And neglecting a dog is terrible but even more terrible to neglect children!
    Thank God for the less independant animal.... THE CAT!
    [CENTER]

Alden is here!!
    7/6/2006 - 9 pounds 9 ounces 22 inches

Tinky

Originally posted by Sara luvs her Tinky
    But sometimes it is kind of hard on me because family is always asking me when we are going to have kids and it is kind of hurtful but...
    Wow, Sara, this could have been me writing this. People don't realize how hurtful the "sideways glances" and the "oh WHEN you have kids" comments really are. I guess it's all about walking a mile in another's shoes...

Hee, hee, hee .... just wait, you'll find out.

You have a fifteen month old? Ahhhh, yes .... all the "downsides" are still to come, believe me!!!!

Not that I would trade my son for everything in the world, but kids can be a pain in the rear when they get older. They get expensive, smart-mouthed and rebellious ..... and I don't even have a true teenager yet! And that's a GOOD kid I'm talking about .... some of them get a LOT worse.

I know, I know ..... you're thinking "Not MY kid! I will NEVER let that happen! He'll be the perfect child." Oooookey, dokey .... let us know in about eleven years, ok? I said the same things, ALL parents did.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything ... but EVERYTHING in life has a downside. Nothing is perfect. Want a new car? The downside is car payments and higher insurance. Want a new puppy? The downside is housetraining, chewed up couches and vet bills. Want a kid? The downside is the potential for a lot of tears, heartache and problems.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

I love kids too, but I don't have any.
    as for the traveling, it depends on how you handle it, I have a brother and sister in law that with 2 young children could just pack them and their stuff in a car, and drive 8-10 hours with no problem, the kids had their music, little kids songs on tape that they sang with and then they would sleep most of the way. they had snacks.too.
    another brother and his family, it was the total opposite, they would arrive and were so stressed out, the kids were cranky, and they took forever to unpack the car, it looked like they were moving in!
    Richard, you ARE a riot! the vlucan touch, LOL
    my mom had a certain look, a look that could turn you to stone!
    I mean it, once she gave me that look, I KNEW if I didn't stop right then that was IT!
    I was a brat, one day when I was around 12, she told me to clean my room or something, and I answered back, well she said oh fine don't then and wait til your father gets home(she did not often say that, especially since my dad spoiled me lol) well I made the near fatal mistake of saying oh ha ha, you have to say wait til dad is home, you can't do anything yourself!
    really stupid comment on my part.
    1/2 second later I was on the ground getting my mouth slapped!
    Last edited by marysmerrycats; 02-21-2003 at 10:41 PM.

Originally posted by Twisterdog

, but kids can be a pain in the rear when they get older. They get expensive, smart-mouthed and rebellious ..... and I don't even have a true teenager yet! And that's a GOOD kid I'm talking about .... some of them get a LOT worse.

I know, I know ..... you're thinking "Not MY kid! I will NEVER let that happen! He'll be the perfect child." Oooookey, dokey .... let us know in about eleven years, ok? I said the same things, ALL parents did.

Not trying to rain on your parade or anything ... but EVERYTHING in life has a downside. Nothing is perfect.
    I am glad a parent said this !!!!! I wanted to but I'd have been "THAT PERSON WITH NO KIDS".

Originally posted by Cookiebaker

Wow, Sara, this could have been me writing this. People don't realize how hurtful the "sideways glances" and the "oh WHEN you have kids" comments really are. I guess it's all about walking a mile in another's shoes...
    I agree! When most people find out I'm getting married, their next question is "so, when are you having children?" !!! Did it ever occur to anyone, that maybe we don't want children right now?! And then if you say no, you get these looks from people and it is hurtful.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I was sixteen and a half when I had my son (unplanned and I was in a whole lot of trouble......long story, for now suffice to say it was 1962 and the so called swinging sixties/free love stuff was not even close to starting in my town!) Anyways, do I regret having him? No way? I am so proud of my boy and without him I wouldn`t have the two beautiful grandchildren, who I love very much.

As for people who do not want children I say that I respect and understand how you feel and I totally admire you for not giving in to pressure to have them. Same goes for anyone who wants to wait a while, I think that is so wise, if I do have a regret it is that I had my son at such a young and unsettled age without any security and stability, life would have been a lot easier and happier if.... but there you go, no good dwelling on ifs is there.

The people who really tear at my heart are those who so want children and, for whatever reason, cannot. My daughter-in-law took eight years to concieve our Dannielle, my second grandaughter, and no-one could work out the problem. It was breaking her heart, and some people didn`t make it easier by saying how she already had Lianne and so should be grateful, sorry, but it doesn`t work that way.

chris