Thread: bath every six months?

bath every six months?

hey, I have never gave Tikeya, my siberian, a bath befor and she is 4 years old.. What is so important about bathing your dog?Tikeya doent smell and she is soo beautifull soft and not yellow.. She is as white as can be. lol ..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

I don't know how often you are "supposed" to bathe them, but if she doesn't smell, and doesn't have any skin problems or fleas or anything--why bother??
    Kito, my Shiba, never needs a bath either. Abbey, the beagle gets that beagley smell, so she needs regular baths--it's only fair to bathe him then too!!
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

good point lol i love your dogs they are soo cute..

I generally bathe my dogs about every two weeks. My boyfriend and I tag team them. One of us is in the shower with them and the other dries them off. They seem to like to roll around in the dirt and get lots of doggie smell. When Joxer goes visiting he has to be clean.....coat, teeth, ears and toenails clipped.
    ~Kat

Huskies are dogs that naturally do not have any of that "doggy odors" that many dogs have. But, I bath Nebo anyway...well, he gets his paws washed off almost every day as he's a bit of a mud puppy, lol. But I do give him a real bath about every 1 1/2-2 months.

I find that it REALLY helps with his shedding. Of course, I bath him at work, so I also have a high pressure dryer to blow out the coat, and plenty of various brushes to use. But just the bath helps any dog to get rid of some fur.

If you brush your dog plenty, and she doesn't get dirty, I don't think you *have* to bath her. They have doggy bath wipes you can use also instead of a full out bath.

thanks alot guys..I am just going to tick to letting bath herself.. She hates water but i make her go into the lake in the summer. It gets wayyy to hot.. thanks anyways

It's more important to brush a dog thoroughly than to give it a bath. A good brushing will get right down to the skin. Loose hair and dirt will fall out and the dog's natural insulation will work better. Brush backwards of the way the hair grows and then use a comb on a small section, starting at the bottom of the dog and combing the hair into it's natural shape.

Bella Mae is a Lab/Chow mix. I could comb her all day and still get loose hair off of her. But I seldom have to wash her. She smells like fresh air most of the time.

Mary

i bathe my poodles once a week it is a 10hour job. do it on my day off i brush them every day it takes 20mins on pearlie and 1hr on gannie and 2 to 3 hours on riley (as i have to take all his pony tails out and brush the redo the pony tails so he doesnt get matted. but i soon as i finish him as a champion all the hair comes off i use special shampoos for them blkonblk for the black dogs and redonred for the apriot all of them get coat handler put on them and use darkand lovely during the week to keep their coat in condition it helps to stop any breakage of the fur i have to bathe them once a wk because they run on 325 acres and roll in some of the most disgusting stuff and they like to take a dip in the lake sometimes. so i stay busy!!!!!!!

I know what you mean about brushing .. I have to brush my Siberan husky for like 3 hrs every day eek it sucks, but at least she stays pritty lol

timbers only ever had one bath lol...but man did she hate it! we had gone camping that weekend so she smelt like a campfire lol...
    but generally she smells fine, i guesss cuz she goes for a swim every day...
    brushing takes forver on her too! if she would let me, it would probablyu take hours...but she isnt patient, cuz she knows that after her brush, theres a nice run for her...( i doll her up for her run so ppl can ooh and aah )
    I've been BOO'd!

mickey's had two baths. i think they're important to keep the coat shiny and pretty but if you have a short-haired dog, i don't think you need too

the breeder told us to give mickey a bath every month, once a month (not more) or else..something with his skin lol bad memory

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Well the breeder we got Tikeya from said Siberians shouldent have baths often if not at all because they have three layers of coat and the water would get trapped under her undercoat and dry out her skin (an that wouldent be good)

Nina goes to the groomer so she is always clean and clipped. Some times we bath her inbetween grooms. We have the high power dryer at home too. She likes baths. Ashlee doesn't need one as often and I never use the dog dryer on her. She would freak out. I do dry her neck area, to put her necklace back on, with my hand hairdryer. She is ok with that. She doesn't really like baths, if the didn't have to be in the bathroom I don't think it would bother her so much. It's a small room and she is scared in there anyway.

Money will buy a pretty good dog but it won't buy the wag of his tail. - Josh Billings