Thread: mini schnauzer w/ fine, fluffy fur

mini schnauzer w/ fine, fluffy fur

Hi. I have a miniature schnauzer (I think). His name is Pogo. He looks exactly like Ali, the Dog of the Day for May 14, 2002. Is Pogo a type of m. schnauzer that is recognized by the AKC, or is he a mix of some kind? I can't find any information for this type-all I see in my research is the standard crop-eared, crop-tailed AKC types. Is there an official name for this type? Any information regarding this will be greatly appreciated.
    By the way, Pogo is from Texas, too. He appeared at my door in Forth Worth one day, starving to death. He was so hungry, he couldn't eat. I had to put bacon grease on the food to get him to eat. He took only a few bites the first day. He had matted fur all over him, along with various burrs and other debris. His tag said he was from Abilene, which is about 100 miles from Forth Worth.
    It didn't take him long to realize that he had come to the right house. (The previous owners had moved-their phone was disconnected). I bet they didn't call him thier little puppy pie.
    Anyway, thanks for any info you can give.

Carol Brewer
    Last edited by Carol Brewer; 02-17-2003 at 11:04 PM.

A warm welcome to you and Pogo to Pet Talk.
    Pogo was very lucky to find you.

We have a couple schnauzer owners on our list,
    so hopefully they will read your post.

----<---<--<{(@

I have never herd of a fluffy schauser befor.. humm.. I cannot find any pic either.. I cant find Ali either on pet of the days previouse pets..
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Fluffy schnauzer correction

Ali, the mini schnauzer, was the Dog (not Pet) of the Day for May 14, 2002. The correction has been made in my original post. I make simple mistakes I guess because I haven't fully recovered from the time I had 15 cats.

Dog Of the Day, May 14, 2002

info on breed standard:
    http://www.akc.org/breeds/recbreeds/minsch.cfm

Quote from AKC :
    Salt and Pepper The typical salt and pepper color of the topcoat results from the combination of black and white banded hairs and solid black and white unbanded hairs, with the banded hairs predominating. Acceptable are all shades of salt and pepper, from light to dark mixtures with tan shadings permissible in the banded or unbanded hair of the topcoat. In salt and pepper dogs, the salt and pepper mixture fades out to light gray or silver white in the eyebrows, whiskers, cheeks, under throat, inside ears, across chest, under tail, leg furnishings, and inside hind legs. It may or may not also fade out on the underbody. However, if so, the lighter underbody hair is not to rise higher on the sides of the body than the front elbows.
    Black and Silver The black and silver generally follows the same pattern as the salt and pepper. The entire salt and pepper section must be black. The black color in the topcoat of the black and silver is a true rich color with black undercoat. The stripped portion is free from any fading or brown tinge and the underbody should be dark.
    Black Black is the only solid color allowed. Ideally, the black color in the topcoat is a true rich glossy solid color with the undercoat being less intense, a soft matting shade of black. This is natural and should not be penalized in any way. The stripped portion is free from any fading or brown tinge. The scissored and clippered areas have lighter shades of black. A small white spot on the chest is permitted, as is an occasional single white hair elsewhere on the body.
    Disqualifications--Color solid white or white striping, patching, or spotting on the colored areas of the dog, except for the small white spot permitted on the chest of the black.
    The body coat color in salt and pepper and black and silver dogs fades out to light gray or silver white under the throat and across the chest. Between them there exists a natural body coat color. Any irregular or connecting blaze or white mark in this section is considered a white patch on the body, which is also a disqualification.

Coat

Double, with hard, wiry, outer coat and close undercoat. The head, neck, ears, chest, tail, and body coat must be plucked. When in show condition, the body coat should be of sufficient length to determine texture. Close covering on neck, ears and skull. Furnishings are fairly thick but not silky. Faults--Coat too soft or too smooth and slick in appearance.

Last edited by Brie; 02-18-2003 at 11:38 PM.

If Pogo looks like Ali, he sure must be adorable then! I LOVE the name!!

I have a schnauzer, and I work at a grooming salon. I've seen many schnauzers with very soft and fluffy fur. I've seen them come in all sorts of shapes and sizes too--all cute! Though it may not be what the AKC standards call for, I don't think that it matters. Your dog is just a much loved pet! I'm so glad you rescued him!

Oh, and my dog's ears aren't cropped either. They don't fold like that, they stand straight up lol (you can see him in my profile). I personally think schnauzers look cuter without cropped ears anyway!

p.s. it's possible your dog may have some poodle in him too...which could cause the soft fur...."schnoodles" are becoming more popular....
    Last edited by wolf_Q; 02-19-2003 at 01:38 AM.