Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: run away dog

run away dog

My dog runs away on every chance that she can get. From pushing the doors open, to pushing me ?
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!
    Save a life, adopt a pet!

Have you tried obedience training? Why does she run away (ie chasing something)?
    Last edited by wolfsoul; 05-18-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    I've been BOO'd!

she does chase squirells but that is not the only reason...she does it even when there isn't any squirells. It is really starting to bug me...i never know when the busy streets are gunna hit her or sumtin. No i have not tried obedience training, how much does it cost, where can it be done?? :$
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!

obedience can be quite expensive unfortunatly....when we first got timber, my family wanted to put her in obedience (i didnt lol)
    but eventually they just decided against it....it costed 100 dollars a class
    u may be able to find something good and cheap in the yellow pages?
    I've been BOO'd!

have you tried keeping her on a leash??
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

what kind of dog is she?
    I've been BOO'd!

Obedience training would definately help. Classes here were $90 for 8 classes which also included a 2 hour problem solving seminar. If you can teach her the "wait" command, then you can have her wait while you open the door. It teaches her self control. Also having her wear her leash and collar in the house makes it easy to grab her if she bolts out the door.
    ~Kat

she is a border collie, she loves to run. 90$ for 8 classes...not that bad!
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!

where can u get this done? ?
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!

heather, check with you local kennel club there should be one listed in the phone book also check with the local vets and if there is a pet smart check there they offer classes but before you decide always check with your local better business buerau to see if they have had any complaints. ********we have a trainer in town that has been arrested for animal cruelty and been ban from ft. benning had his business license taken away when to a small town near here and got another one so we are always telling people about him. but you vet should be able to recommend a good trainer and so should the local kennel club.

wow...thanx oodlesofpoodles! I hate animal cruelty...< I shall try this.
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!

heather,
    everyone has suggested what i would say so i just wanted to wish you luck and do you ahve any pics? i love border collies!

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

border collies love to run u cant help that but u can stop the fact that she always runs away U could take her to obediance classes or U can reteach her come and reward her when she stays in the yard. My dog also loves to run away and I give her a treat when she stays in the yard. and when she trys playing game i just say Woah which means stop and stay where u r then i go up close to her and say Come and she comes see what works for u
    good luck
    [size=1]Rachel & Sally

my friends dog is the same way she loves to run She is a siberian as well .. She has no control over her dog .. sad .. tisk tisk .. obedience training is for you
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Primabella, i have plenty of pics, but this thing says that it is to big...tikeyas_mom, thanx, i am trying to look for the best obiedience training person, should i look in the yellow book?or the classifieds?i dunno where to look. I hope this works. Every time she gets loose, she runs out on the street(kinda hard not to in NYC) and she almost got hit by a taxi, a month ago...i am to parannoyed to have a dog that runs everytime she can. i take her to my friends house in Maryland, she has a 7acre yard, fenced...i let her run then. I dunno...i need help.
    :O ) : @ - its a bull...lol B) :P 3:@- cow! lol
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!