Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: run away dog

Here is the inasant run away dog![IMG]C:/Documents and Settings/USER/mydocuments/mypictures/family/Maggumz.png[/IMG] that lil dog ran off again yesterday...but no matter how much she can get on my nerves, I stil <3 love her
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!
    Save a life, adopt a pet!

run doggie! run!

Maggie got loose again (&#39;&#39, but i am supposed to start obiedience training next week. The price was amazing (&#39;&#39, but if its worth it who cares!

H.A.R.T. Homeless Animal Rescue Team

Where cold noses meet warm H.A.R.T.s
    Save a life...call...805-927-RESQ
    [IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\My Pictures\pets\Maggumz.png[/IMG]
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!

hope you can get her running away under control. i don't see the picture you posted. have you tried resizing them on paint? i just figured out how to do it good luck

“I like too many things and get all confused and hung-up running
    from one falling star to another till i drop. This is the night, what it does to you.
    I had nothing to offer anybody except my own confusion.”
    - Jack Kerouac; On The Road

Good luck on your obedence classes ..
    I cant seem to find a obedence trainer in my area that is training ..

It suxs because Tikeya need to become more positive with other dogs MORE females then males...

I talked to this one trainer that is going to do group trining with me but She doesnt start till Autom so that sux ...
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Hello! I was just browsing the web and found:

http://www.dogtrainersofnewyork.com/

maybe they can help? Or at least give you a good referral?

I'm in my second round of obedience training with my yellow lab puppy, and its been a lifesaver! Good luck in finding the perfect trainer, they are out there.

One more thing, stick to the leash and LOTS of treats. Try holding the treats at your side (the side you prefer) and hold it at their eye level so he learns to look at you. They will associate standing at your side with the smell of treats and eatting. It takes time, but it really works.

Michelle

Tikeya allread walks at my side if thats what you mean !

I am takeing her to obedience because she has a low prey drive and I want a rabbit so We are going to try to get rid of that prey drive or at least level it !!
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Thanx for tha web site mpoier, I also thank you for the tips. I will try them. She does have a short attention span, unless I have food in my hand...lol. So I will give it a try. My picture should work, how do you do this paint thingy?? confused .....

H.A.R.T. Homeless Animal Rescue Team
    Where cold noses meet warm H.A.R.T.s

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\USER\My Documents\My Pictures\family\Maggumz.png[/IMG] <3
    ~*~Heather~*~
    Adopt NaylaAdopt Perdue!

Unfortunately I have no idea how to post pictures, attachments, etc....I'm still new here myself!

Let me know if you figure it out b/c I'd love for everyone to see my babies!

Have a great day!
    Michelle

Try in any Petco store, they are linked to the ABTA asociation wich is preatty good ( the lasgest in its type) and the prices for a group class are around 99$ (at least here in california)
    Yaiza MG.

It sounds like she isn't getting enough exercise maybe. Or training. How many times a day to you take her running? Do you have a fenced yard you can turn her out in? Border Collies are very smart and need lots of stimulation, i.e. exercise, to be happy.

The "wait" command at the door is a very good idea. I tell kenya "bye bye" every time I leave and if she is by the door when I say it, she backs away and lets me leave. I didnt even intend to teach her anything by it, I just wanted to say bye, lol, but she took it to mean "I'm leaving, please vacate the area of the door."

my dog us to run away as well . But after taking him to obidience trainig for about a month i saw improvement. He hasn runed away for 3 months. Now if someone is going out of the gate he saatys at leat three meters away

Thank you for the signature manda_moo87

try ur public school that bit cheaper or free

if you have trouble with your dog running away alot please try obiedience classes and get him/her microchipped. Microchip is a service provided by your vet. It isn't surgery. The chip is about the size of a rice grain and is injected the same way your dog gets his/her shots. The only thing is that the syringe is a little bigger. Many people say that the microchips move around or away from the injected spot (between the shoulder blades), but I don't really know about that ( maybe earlier models of the chips did but the new one don't). What happens when your dog runs away and the dog authorities picks him/her up is that they take a harmless handheld scanner and scans the dog's entire body. If the scanner reads the number off of the chip and the dog auth. calls the company that makes the chip and provides the dog auth. with the name of the dog and the owner, address, and telephone number. Hence your dog is returned to you without worry. The chip once implanted properly by the vet, humane society, a thin membrane within the dog over time surronds the chip allowing the chip to stay in place. Once the chip is properly placed between the shoudlder blades under the skin it is undetectable by any touch even on small and toy dogs. The life span of the chip last for twenty-five years, more than your dog's life span. The chip is very affordable to be put in your dog. Your dog will not get sick or allergic or reject the chip. The chip is sterile before they put it in your pet. Your dog will not even know it's there. The microchip can be used on all pets even underwater pets like fish and turtles. Some cities even require your pet to be microchiped to control the lost and stray dog population. Some adoption and breeders (breeder will have one put in for most expensive purebreed dogs) will microchip your dog before you adopt or buy a dog. I think this is the best id( next to a id tag on a collar) for a dog to ensure your dog will be return to you when stolen or lost. What other identifation does your dog have if someone takes off your pet's collar or the dog losts his own. With the microchip your dog will be returned to you with no harm done. SAVE the LOST dogs that are being put to SLEEP everyday, because shelter can't find their owners or anyone to adopt them. Please ask your local kennel club, humane society, or your vet for more information. You can also go to www.avid.com for more information on the chip. GET YOUR PET MICROCHIPPED ASAP, PLEASE!!
    "when life gets tough, get a dog."

Originally posted by tikeyas_mom
    Tikeya allread walks at my side if thats what you mean !

I am takeing her to obedience because she has a low prey drive and I want a rabbit so We are going to try to get rid of that prey drive or at least level it !!

You cannot get rid of a prey drive. It is instinct, not something that can be taught or untaught. Do the obedience training for you and for Tikeya, but please don't think her prey drive will go away. It won't.

My very first dog had a high prey drive. She was very smart, well trained, and obedient in all things, but in the presence of a small animal, she would dispense with it THEN obey you afterwards.

Please just get a stuffed bunny for now. You are young, there will be plenty of time in your life for you to get a bunny when you don't have a high prey drive dog.

My dog, Pedro also runs away alot, but now he just let him go ahead because he always comes back 15 minutes later, plus we are in a small town so nothing bad would ever happen to them
    Ashley