Thread: Uh-Oh, Another Bunny?

Uh-Oh, Another Bunny?

Yeah, well......what can I say? We had a major presentation yesterday out at our rabbit sanctuary...trying to interest an investor (and I think we may have a great outcome) to try and keep the sanctuary from closing down. We have been watching a little guy, Maple a very small English lop bunny, for a week or two who had been acting a little sick and depressed and just wasn't looking "right". So after the presentation the manager asked me if I would take him home for a while and watch him, monitor what he eats, if he's litter trained, etc........... Supposedly he will be "returned" to the sanctuary after an evaluation period....heh-heh-heh!!!!

So Maple has came home with me...how could I say no to that sad little face?!! ( LOL!---they REALLY have my number). I tried putting him in his own separate area, where Casey had lived, on the second floor but Daisy (yes, he is a BOY) sorta went a little crazy on me....I forgot that the second floor belongs to HIM, not me! Too, Casey was a female so of course Daisy didn't mind her, but another boy....Whew! Won't make that mistake again! At any rate, I moved Maple down to the first floor this morning.

He is a wonderful bunny. Very lonely I think. The unusual thing about Maple is that right now at least he LOVES to be held....and not just for a very short time as is usual with most buns. He stayed in my lap for 40 minutes, eyes closed, every once in a while would "chatter" his teeth (that's a very good sign). However he is a boy and with Daisy, Robbie and Noah all being extremely territorial I'm not sure how this is going to work out. I can be stubborn too so we will see if eventually I can bond him into one of the other two groups.

If anyone has tried bonding male buns I'd appreciate any advice you might have! I do have info from the HRS literature but I'm aware that bonding males is the hardest to accomplish and maybe someone out there has a trick or two I haven't heard about! Thanks.
    Mom to 9 wonderful bunnies and an energetic young cat from you-know-where.
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Noah, Casey, Daisy, Marie, Velvet, Emma, Robbie, Chocolate

I don't know about this for bonding adults but when we have to add ophan bunnies to aonther litter we put vanilla on the does nose and by the time it is gone the new buns are full of the nest smell and only once in 20 years did we have one still reject them.

Wow! What a great idea. I'm going to forward this trick to the manager of the sanctuary. We never know if/when we might have a similar situation. Thanks!
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI

Originally posted by Corinna
    I don't know about this for bonding adults but when we have to add ophan bunnies to aonther litter we put vanilla on the does nose and by the time it is gone the new buns are full of the nest smell and only once in 20 years did we have one still reject them.
    Thats what you do with rats I never heard of trying it with Bunnies but I'm sure it will work! Good luck!!

Ash

ps: We want pictures!
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka

If you can't keep him...

Can you ship him to NM?!

Good luck lil' Maple!

no, ship him to PA. I love the English lop (and for those who do not know, they have VERY long ears, like a basset or blood hound)
    and I agree with the vanilla (or we used vicks vapor rub) on the noses when we wanted a mama bunny to foster strange babies. It might work with adults.

Yes,as I said before to you. I knew it wouldn't be long before you fell for another bunnies.

CONGRATULATIONS!

Pictures please!!"!!

Oh Jen....
    Thanks for the note (everyone else too!!!!). I had a senior moment though and Maple is not an English lop but a little Neatherland Dwarf lop! Aaagghhhh!!!!! I was in too big a hurry to write my note to pay attention. Thanks for the mention about the ears!
    Bunny Basics educator
    Ann Arbor, MI