Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stupid Stupid People!!!!!

Stupid Stupid People!!!!!

I took Eli in for his neutering today. While sitting in the waiting room, I was talking to a guy who had a dog and a cat. They were both in for spay/neuter.

We got to talking and he told me that his cat (a Norwegian Forest Cat) was also having all 4 claws ripped out His reason...he has an 8 year old son who plays "kinda rough" with the cat and doesn't want him to get scratched because he's got an immune problem and could get sick!!

Could I keep my mouth shut??? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I told him my speech about declawing and told him that just because his son is such a jerk with his cat is no reason to punish the cat by ripping his claws out. I was furious! He was clueless. He said his wife insisted on declawing all 4 paws. I told him that he's taking the chance of his cat developing litterbox problems, arthritis in his paws and biting. I asked him what he's gonna do when (not if) the cat bites his kid. That's when they called him in the room.

After the Vet Tech got info on Eli, she said, "He's being neutered, what about his claws??? Ya want them out too??" I told her absolutely not!

I hope Eli is okay. When I left this place I found out that the total bill is $116!! They needed to do a Feline Leuk/Aids test on him because I forgot to get the papers from Kim (Ramanth). Oh well. All I can say is Eli's claws BETTER be there.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

I wonder if he went through with it? I think it's good you brought up those points, because a lot of people just don't know how painful it is on the cat. It seems like the vets office treats it as some sort of routine mandatory operation as well.

Yikes.

You aren't alone...when I took Basil in for his neutering, they asked the SAME question...I was appauled that my vet would even consider that.

We'll be switching to an "All Cat" vet soon.

You did the right thing!! I admire your courage, you are a true animal lover.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

OK well that vet better not take out your kitties claws!!!! My boss would NEVER do that unless the owner absolutely wants the declaw done!!

I hate all these horrible vet stories lately. I just hope everyone realizes that not all vets and techs are like that!! I'm not!!!
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

My vet won't even declaw unless the owner has proven they have tried as many other methods as possible, like routine clipping, soft claws, training, etc. I also found a REALLY great site on the web about declawing, and it explains how declawing a cat would be like cutting off a persons finger at the first joint. I had my bf send it to his sister, because she wants a cat but they have "expensive leather couches" I think they should consider soft claws, not declawing.

What silly, silly people. Why don't they train their child to behave instead???

Naomi, we have a leather couch and the cats don't use it as a scratching post. Having said that, there are a few scratches on it, but that's because we have been throwing toys and they've launched themselves off the couch to fetch them (definitely our fault). Most cats prefer material they can get their claws into, like sisal or carpet. Maybe if your boyfriend's sister gets a cat, she can buy a couple of scratching posts and some soft tips first.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Well Naomi, I may be courageous, but sometimes my opinions get me in hot water. I was just stating the facts as I know them. I don't think the vet tech that took him in was too pleased with my little "lecture" but I don't care cuz I'm never going back there once Eli is fixed.

Then came the sales pitch. First came the "laser" neutering at $95. Nope, scalpal's fine. They tried to sell me a $7 floride treatment for his teeth, and vaccinations for Feline Aids. The explanation (after I told her none of my cats goes outside) was that during a nice warm spring or summer day I may have my doors open with the screens, and another infected cat could come along an infect him through the screen. I told her that I lived on the second floor and unless cats fly, he wasn't getting the vaccination. By then I was getting a little annoyed. Comparable to talking to a car salesman.

Afterwards I kept thinking about once the guy's cat bites the kid (I'd bet my unemployment on it that it WILL happen). I can see it now...this poor cat will be dumped either somewhere to fend on his own, or at a kill shelter because of it. That's usually what happens.

Neko1, I understand not all vets and vet techs are like that, believe me. This place had to be the worst I've ever been to.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Unless cats can fly. Boy did I laugh at that one. Good for you for standing up to what you believe in, and I glad to hear that will be the last time you will be going to that nuthouse of a vets.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Hmmm I've never even heard of laser neutering or floride treatments. Glad you stuck with the good 'ol scalpel.

Doesn't anyone have any good things to say about vets and techs?
    Hearing all this bad stuff makes me feel like everyone dislikes taking their animals to the vets because of the vets and the techs. It makes me wonder how anyone could like me cause I'm a tech?

sorry for blabbering.
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I don't even know what to say. mr and mrs dumb and dumber!
    Callie is declawed, and it is awful for her! I hate seeing her trying to use the scratching board, I wonder how they would like to have their nails ripped out! I wish it would be illegal here like England.
    I remember just before I got Muffin, from my nephew, I told him I was going to have her declawed( I was totally ignorant about it )
    and he was upset, I told him oh it won't hurt her. still he begged me not to, and I said I would see what the vet said, still really intending on going thru with it, I really believed it would not hurt her.
    well I didn't have her with me not even 2 days when I knew, I could never, never do that to her! and I have learned alot about cats since then, so I get mad at people who won't even listen to reason. if someone had told me those things, I would never have considered it.

I can't begin to describe how wrong that is. Some people are just uneducated...but it's the ones that still insist on declawing after you explain the negative effects and even worse still insist after you show pictures of a declawing that make me irate! Declawing is so much for human convenience and NOT in the best interest of the animal...people make me so very angry when they're to lazy to train their kitty to a scratch post and choose to declaw instead. Unless there's some kind of medical reason...infection or disformity that would effect the kitty's health, I see no reason to declaw.

The vet I got Scout neutered at asked me numerous times if I wanted him declawed also. Every single time I went NO! The first thing I did when I picked him up from the vet was check his paws.

On the laser altering...one vet around here does that. Wanted to charge me $242 to laser off Scout's bits...they told me that it's better to do laser because it cauterizes as it cuts so there's less pain and faster healing time. I said no thank you...Scout and Bixby's neuter with a scalpel went just fine.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

Neko, at our last vet's we grew to adore everyone because they were friendly, professional and genuinely interested in each animal who came in. So there are good vets and techs!

We have only been to our new vet's once but they seem good as well. We'll see next month when little Tabasco gets desexed.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

Neko...not all vets and vet techs are bad...just like any profession or any person you meet for that matter...some people you like some you don't. Some vets I love, some I thought were in it for the $$(the huge animal hospital around here with all the state of the art equipment and seemed like zero compassion) Some vet techs I've seen were snippy...but I'd be snippy to with a waiting room full of people and pets and some people being snippy back. I have to say, I've met more vets and vet techs that I like than those that I couldn't stand. For the most part, I believe any person in that field is an animal lover and for that reason alone I tend to get along with them.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

Neko,
    I really love the vet I take the cats to. There are five at the clinic who all really love animals, but Dr. Kanan is just really in tune with our cats....does that make sense? He respects them and really calm around them.

The vet techs are really nice too, I have no complaints. They are all very friendly and ALWAYS call the next day to check on the cats. They also always fit me in when I am able to come.

My reasoning for switching (or at least trying the "Cats Only" vet) is because of how our cats react to the dogs that come in. AND....I still have that comment about adding a declaw to Basie's routine neutering in the back of my mind, that really upset me.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

I like my vet, too. You can tell they love the animals. But I don't think they allow declawing in NZ, so it hasn't come up.

They always treat Boo really well and call us to make sure he's been wormed and de-flea-ed!