Thread: Introductions

Introductions

Hi! I have used Cat of the Day as the opening page of my web browser for months now and have never posted. Suddenly I need some help and hope someone here can offer additional insight.

I belong to Spooky, booo! and Loki and somehow or other have managed to also get myself adopted by Lucy-Furr. Lucy is a feral I fell in love with at a local rescue shelter (www.meowfoundation.com) and I am now busy with the process of introductions.

I'm following all procedures according to any and all info I can find on the net as well as what information was provided me.

Lucy is under the bed in my spare room and will not come out. It took her two days and a can of tuna to finally eat. She roams freely around in here while I'm in other areas of the house... but as soon as I come in here... fwoooosh... she's under the bed.

At the shelter she would eat out of my hand... now she hisses at me.

I know it takes time... I'm just anxious to introduce her to the remainder of the clan. They're all anxious to meet her and it's causing tension on them too.

Suggestions?
    Slave to Spooky, booo!, Loki & Lucy-Furr

Hi and welcome. I have never had a feral cat but I have has tremendously shy ones. So I speak from those experiences. First, and you know this, it takes TIME. Don't hurry introducions (I know, I was always anxious too). Try to be in the room without trying to interact with the cat. Just do things. Talk, play solitaire, clean (no loud vacuum) do paper work, anything. I like to do things on the floor, so I am not so tall and overpowering. But just let her observe you.
    When you want to interact, use food as your lure, and the good stuff, things they REALLY want. It took Calvin 5 days before he would eat for me and then only meatloaf.
    one of my tricks is to lay on the floor on your back. This "exposes your belly" a sign of submission in animals. Don't make full eye contact as this is a sign of dominance and she may back off.
    Let her learn and be comfortable with "her" room before adding the additional stress of housemates.
    When you get to the point of intoductions, we can talk more about that. (I don't want to ramble on forever...hee hee)
    Good luck, keep us posted.

Thanks jenluckenbach

I never thought of laying on my back for the exposed tummy position. Great idea!

Lucy has already met with Loki and they are completely indifferent to one another. They are both Maine coons and look very similar, so that might be a familial longing on both sides.

I'm going through lots of tuna these days.

Some cats REALLY like ther cats, and that may make her more receptive to her new home. I think you'll know how much she can handle at one time.

Well some progress, both the boys booo! and Loki are quite indifferent to Lucy. Some hissing but nothing abnormal.

However, I tried introducing Spooky (other female) to Lucy last night and nearly got ripped to bits. Spooky isn't taking kindly to another chicky in the house.

In the meantime... Lucy's under the bed only coming out when I leave.

that female to female reaction does not surprise me at all. It may take longer, but in the long run they may become the better of friends.